Winterizing/Hose Adapters - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2022, 11:53 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape Trailer 21NE 2022
Winterizing/Hose Adapters

Hi: I watched the Dave "How to Winterize" video. On the instructions on how to use a compressor he talks about getting a length of garden hose and attaching stuff to both ends, allowing a person to do this by themselves. Does anyone know what I should get as far as adapters? Dave lost me on that part of the video. Thanks in advance.
chesaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 12:12 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
That looses me too. All I do is open a tap, go outside and blast with air, doesn't take very long then repeat for all taps and toilet. I then do it a second time. Quick and simple. I don't know why anyone would need a garden hose to do it "single handed".

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 01:23 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
My air compressor has a "quick connect" similar to the water type ones......
Old 09-11-2022, 01:28 PM   #4

Trailer: 2016 21
Not sure why he(Dave) goes through those gyrations with the extra hose either. Possibly to limit air pressure ?
With my weak air compressor, I just attach the blow out valve to the city water connection and attach my compressor chuck to it, open a faucet and turn the compressor on then open faucets/connections one by one to blow them out.:
Bill_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 03:21 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018,5.0 TA
I bought one of these, https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's a very reasonable price and it lets me connect the air compressor to the city water inlet then go around and open taps one at a time. much better than the little plastic adaptor that was provided with the start up kit.
DanandDaphne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 03:24 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 19 (July 2018) pulled by F-150 (3.5 ecoboost)
Does any one know the minimum compressor size needed to blow out the lines of an E19? My 12v portable Viair is rated at just over 1.0 CFM. Will that be enough?
Old 09-11-2022, 03:57 PM   #7

Trailer: 2018,5.0 TA
I think you really need a compressor with an air tank. I wouldn't recommend a small portable.
DanandDaphne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 06:41 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Travelers View Post
Does any one know the minimum compressor size needed to blow out the lines of an E19? My 12v portable Viair is rated at just over 1.0 CFM. Will that be enough?
Easy way to tell. Have someone inside by an open tap. Give it a blast. Unless they see a slug of water followed by hissing and spitting mist, then just air the answer is you need more volume.

If your small compressor is otherwise suitable for the things that you do you have the option of buying a small portable air tank. I made one from an outdated propane tank. Fill it up and blast away. Lots of volume for blowing out water lines.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 05:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
If your small compressor is otherwise suitable for the things that you do you have the option of buying a small portable air tank. I made one from an outdated propane tank. Fill it up and blast away. Lots of volume for blowing out water lines.

Ron
Great suggestion. Thanks.
Old 09-12-2022, 07:35 AM   #10

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Travelers View Post
Been using small air compressors since the early 90’s in Minnesota to winterize. If it can pump up a tire to 80 psi it can blow your lines clear.

I prefer the ones that shut off at a psi you set, and currently use a Black and Decker portable.

In addition, as your lines become fluid-free they become an air tank.

Enjoy,

Perry
Perry Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 09:35 AM   #11

Interesting and valuable insight on water line behavior, Perry. Thanks for sharing your experience. It seems I have a couple options using my current compressor and some added confidence that it can get the job done.

After two uneventful seasons of winterizing with RV antifreeze by way of the T-valve, this last round left a persistent taste and odor of antifreeze for most of the camping season. Probably caused by my switching to a "premium" brand. Concerns about the adequacy of my smaller compressor have kept me from trying the air method but those are minimized now. And, if it turns out not to work as well as I would like, there's always the pink stuff to fall back on.

Thanks again.
Old 09-12-2022, 10:12 AM   #12

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
I use a small portable tire inflator with a Schrader valve on the water inlet. Works just fine on my 17.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 10:13 AM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15A
FWIW/FYI: I have an ARB compressor mounted in the bed of my Chevy Silverado and it does a perfect job of purging water out of our little 15A...

I use an inline pressure regulator set to 35psi (even though I don't have an air tank on my OBA set-up for this truck) and it typically takes 20-30 minutes to fully flush the water out of the lines, water heater & accumulator.
Old 09-12-2022, 10:26 AM   #14

Trailer: 2021 21NE F2
I use a small 12V Walmart compressor. It's very small, weighs only a couple of pounds, and is stored in the front storage box when not in use. It also inflates the tires if needed. We winterized a few times during cool spells in the middle of our Texas trip last February and once again as we were heading back to sub freezing temps at home. Just pulled off the road and blew out the lines. Probably took 10-15 minutes tops.
mfschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 10:52 AM   #15

Trailer: 2021 5.0
This is on amazon
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 11:51 AM   #16

Trailer: 2021 21NE F2
Here's my nice little Walmart 12V compressor. Works well for me. Nice and compact/lightweight and fits in this nice little bag.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG-0605.jpg   IMG-0604.jpg  
mfschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 01:10 PM   #17

Nice, what I wouldn’t mind having is a way to safely use the compressors at gas stations.
Only carry the adapter, pressure regulator, shutoff…
Old 09-12-2022, 01:20 PM   #18
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooshkaboo View Post
Nice, what I wouldn’t mind having is a way to safely use the compressors at gas stations.
Only carry the adapter, pressure regulator, shutoff…
I'd worry about the amount of oil that's in some of the air of those compressors. And I'd wonder when was the last time the air filters were changed. I suppose if you never consumed any water from your water system, it might be okay. It's just not for me.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 03:36 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I'd worry about the amount of oil that's in some of the air of those compressors. And I'd wonder when was the last time the air filters were changed. I suppose if you never consumed any water from your water system, it might be okay. It's just not for me.
I’m fortunate where I live there’s a major beer brewery connected to the same water system as I am, good water is a must for them.

I try and fill up enough containers with water from here when going on a trip, I don’t drink from the camper system. The RV antifreeze might come in pink, but its still antifreeze.

I can see why in many areas plastic water bottles are needed, for whatever reason good drinking water isn’t a priority. I’ve noticed when in California things like straws and plastic bags are enemies of the state, but the water bottle gets a pass.

So much plastic waste could be avoided simply by addressing the water issues.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 09-13-2022, 04:12 AM   #20

Trailer: Scamp 19, Tradewinds 24, Escape 5.0
I’ve only had two problems with rv antifreeze:

1. Splashed some on the shower floor and left it for several weeks. My wife got the stain out but was not happy.

2. Ruined a water filter trying to run antifreeze through it by accident. The filter did a good job. Added a note to my winterizing hose to remove filters.

Still, I prefer the air method. May try some cheap vodka for the drains. Less staining, but the smell may get to me. Not sure.

I try to keep my water system clean and use it to provide most of my drinking water. It’s already there, I don’t see a reason to duplicate the effort.

We do carry a coupe of gallons of emergency water in case the park water is so hard it won’t allow my wife to dissolve her powdered nondairy creamer in her coffee. Has happened a couple of times.
Keith3 is offline   Reply With Quote