Winterizing plugged in, tyvek covered 17B trailer on the coast - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-16-2020, 11:57 AM   #1

Trailer: 2006 17B
Winterizing plugged in, tyvek covered 17B trailer on the coast

I live on Vancouver Island, where rain is the prevalent winter condition but we may or may not have freezing temperatures. I plan to store my 17B trailer at my home and run power to it so I can use a space heater to keep the inside temperature above 0C. It would be covered by an Adco ‘Designer Series” Tyvek 3-layer RV Cover. I’ll either use antifreeze in the water system, or try blowing the system out with compressed air.

My questions are:
  1. Overall, is using a space heater in this way a good idea or unnecessary?
  2. If heated like this, is it necessary to also dehumidify the trailer?
  3. If yes to dehumidifying the trailer, are the electric dehumidifiers effective/worthwhile or is it best to stick with crystals?
  4. With the space heater on and the trailer covered as described, should any of the windows be cracked for ventilation or should they all be closed?
  5. Is there any problem with leaving the 12V battery in its outside box and connected to maintain its charge, or simply better to remove it and store it inside?

Funny how one one action can precipitate so many other questions. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
iguthrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 01:23 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I use a dehumidifier that also puts out some heat in the winter while the Escape is in storage at home and plugged in.
Old 09-16-2020, 01:55 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Being in Victoria with similar conditions, we use a couple of of DriAir (crystals) units, empty every few weeks. Keep the vents closed, all cabinet doors open, fridge open, lift up the cushions, basically let air move about. I only blow out the pipes with a compressor, a bit of anti-freeze in the sink traps, make sure grey and black are empty, empty the hot water tank and put it to bypass.
We have been doing this over ten years and the trailer(s) have been fine. We do not cover or heat the trailer.
Old 09-16-2020, 02:32 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
Being in Victoria with similar conditions, we use a couple of of DriAir (crystals) units, empty every few weeks. Keep the vents closed, all cabinet doors open, fridge open, lift up the cushions, basically let air move about. I only blow out the pipes with a compressor, a bit of anti-freeze in the sink traps, make sure grey and black are empty, empty the hot water tank and put it to bypass.
We have been doing this over ten years and the trailer(s) have been fine. We do not cover or heat the trailer.

I do the same, but I use RV anti-freeze because I can see it flow from the taps and from time to time I will run an electric heater. Your battery, fully charged will not freeze unless temps reach 67F below 0.
Old 09-16-2020, 04:13 PM   #5

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I tried the DriAir tubs a couple times. Here where it's colder they froze into solid blocks and stayed that way till April.
Old 09-16-2020, 04:49 PM   #6

Trailer: 5.0 TA #9
I have a fan on a timer that runs during two different intervals during the 24 cycle. That is to keep air moving, and to help prevent mold. In 6 years, plus 10 with the previous trailer, it has worked well. I don't heat the trailer.

I don't bother with the dryz air as it's like trying to remove all the moisture from the atmosphere- I couldn't see that it was possible. YMMV.

My trailer is in an inside unheated/un-insulated garage- I leave windows and vents open.

Inside the the trailer I leave all doors open, including the fridge. Additionally I lift the mattress and any cushions so that they have air circulating around them.

I too live in the same area as you.
sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 06:26 PM   #7

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21
I'm just south of Seattle and am pondering the same issues. Since I've got a bunch of smart home stuff already, I'm looking at sticking one of these sensors in the trailer: https://www.amazon.com/Aeotec-Multis...32046444&psc=1

I'd use a switch to control a low (500W) powered space heater based on temp/humidity.
cityofdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, dehumidify, power, water lines, winterizing