Yellowing of Exterior - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2018, 10:03 AM   #1

Trailer: 2016 21'
Yellowing of Exterior

Hi all! We've had our Escape in the sun about 2 years now (we full time) and it is starting to lose its nice white shine. I use NuFinish on it once a year and am surprised to find that it is beginning to yellow.

Is there a way to bring it back to its nice original gleaming white? Any ideas of why it might be losing its shine?

Thanks!
Maury&Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 10:19 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
We use NuFinish once a year, but our trailer is stored inside a shed when we aren't traveling, and it stays shiny and protected. For washing we use Armor All Premium Wash and Wax that also supposedly has some protection ingredients.

I think you would need to apply NuFinish a minimum of twice a year. Other folks who store outside in sunny climates like yours will hopefully add some product suggestions that work for them.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 10:36 AM   #3

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Is it oxidizing or actually yellowing? I've not heard of the shell yellowing before, plastic parts yes. Oxidizing is normal, you have to remove the oxidation and keep a coat of wax or polish on it, which means more then once a year.
Old 01-08-2018, 10:43 AM   #4

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
We, too, have our trailer outside but try to keep it covered. That said, we opted not to cover it during the heavy rains we had last winter because the cover isn't water-proof and we didn't want any problems with mold, fabric rubbing against the finish, etc. Unfortunately, summer hit full-force and we didn't cover OR get Nu-Finish on right away and, thus, have some oxidation on the back (where the sun hits). Our RV tech suggested we use 3M Imperial Microfinishing Compound along with a buffer; however, the 3M product is no longer available. I called Meguiar about their "Meguiars G17216 Ultimate Compound" which appears to have the same qualities as the 3M product. The tech at Meguiar went ahead and recommended the G17216 for light/med oxidation, scratches, etc. (Our tech told us to follow it up with carnauba wax.) Maybe this product might help.

We haven't had any problems with yellowing and we're just down the coast from you. I'm wondering whether the yellowing could be a result of the smoke from the summer's wildfires if your trailer was stored in the North Bay.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 10:43 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maury&Julie View Post
Hi all! We've had our Escape in the sun about 2 years now (we full time) and it is starting to lose its nice white shine. I use NuFinish on it once a year and am surprised to find that it is beginning to yellow.

Is there a way to bring it back to its nice original gleaming white? Any ideas of why it might be losing its shine?

Thanks!
Hi: Maury&Julie... I just call it the trailer "Patina" and that solves the question. I have a quote to bring our trailer back to "Like new" and they want $1100. CAD and 4 days!!! Might not be so bad if divied up over 4 yrs. being stored outside N/C at home and in Fla. in the winter!!!SRS Detailing, St. Thomas. Mobile Wash, Polish, big rigs, cars, pickups, boats, RV, SUV Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 10:52 AM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
3M has a line of marine clean and wax products. U.S. link:
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...3087021&rt=rud
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2018-01-08 at 8.50.13 AM.png  
Old 01-08-2018, 12:35 PM   #7

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Maury&Julie, After using the 3M Cleaning product, I’d finish with 3M Scotchgard Marine Liquid Wax for UV protection. Apply the protection twice yearly.

Good Luck!

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 01:02 PM   #8

Exterior shine

After the fiberglass has finished its out gassing, in the first year. I will coat the trailer with Ploi-glow. It will shine like new and stay new looking. This is a Marine product made for sailboats. Every Molded Fiberglass Trailer I have owned in the last 9 years got Pol-glow.
trlqwen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
polish, yellowing finish