Any benefit to a prime lens - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Visual Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-06-2022, 03:10 PM   #21

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
I bought a Sony Mirrorless just before Covid so I could carry something light when hiking or for just general use. It came with a 16-50 kit lens that I use between 16-20 for indoor that works pretty well and I bought a 1.8/35 OSS prime (in mirrorless format is 50) that I use almost everywhere.

I have not cashed out my retirement savings for a great zoom yet but right now I'm very happy with 1.8/35 OSS.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 03:41 PM   #22

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennaeichmann View Post
I’ve had an Olympus camera with IBIS but unfortunately I broke it. im thinking about a Nikon Z50 as a replacement.
I like to travel as light as possible and my m43 kit is the very small 12-32 and 20mm prime lens. I use the prime when the light dims.
my question is this: on the Nikon z50, which doesn’t have IBIS, is there any point in the unstabilzed small primes over the stabilized 16-50 zoom? They seem to be brighter by a stop, but the image stabilization in the slower zoom lens gives it three stops. So aren’t I better just using the zoom in low light?
am I missing something?
I'll weigh in here but only with respect to two issues: replacing you camera, lenses and (hard to avoid) crop factor. So 3 issues.

If you haven't yet made up your mind about springing fro the Z50 considering giving the FujiX-T30 a gander. IMO it is a vastly superior APS-C what with a 26.1-megapixel sensor and its 4 quad CPU. That's my plug for a camera.

Regarding lenses if you are set on a prime lens whether to fit a Z50 or any other APS-C -- to match what the human eye 'sees', then you need to purchase a 35mm lens. Here's the calculation: Your crop factor is 1.5x35mm. This yields = 50mm. Actually 52.5mm but lets not be picky.

Since I sold my full-frame Nikon SLR and lenses and bought a Fuji X-T3, I've never looked back.

Here again (another plug) Fuji's 35mm also are renown for their sharpness. Fuji's 35mm F1.4 is as good as it gets. You will achieve outstanding Bokeh in out-of-focus areas and excellent in-focus reproduction. Warning: It's not cheap. The Fujifilm XF35mmF2 is nothing to sneeze at and unless you are frequently shooting in low light situations would probably be a better choice.

Really, for traveling, taking in the sights, and not encumbered by a ton of cameral gear, I'd go with a kit lens. Once again, I'll shill for Fuji. For $1,288 out the door you can get this Fujifilm X-T30 Mirrorless Digital Camera w/XC15-45mm Kit.

Over and out.
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 06:07 PM   #23

Trailer: 2021 Escape E19
If I could only pick one lens it would be a 35mm. Modern cameras picture quality lets you crop so it's like you get the 50 as well. You can easily move closer or further back. I have found the light weight of a 35 prime combined with the sharpness make the perfect lens. Although I have zooms and others primes this is my favourite and mostly always on my camera.
MarkinVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 10:39 PM   #24
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
when shooting landscapes and such with a FF 35mm film, my favorite lens was a fast prime 28mm wide angle. In a APS-C crop camera, thats around 18mm. For portrait photography, my favorite lenses were 100 to 120mm, thats about 80-85 in APS-C. I rarely used a 50mm 'normal' lens (35mm on APS-C).
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 12:41 PM   #25

Trailer: Casita ... for now ...
My newest camera uses only prime lenses.
Attached Thumbnails
view_camera.jpg  
brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 07:42 PM   #26

Trailer: N/A
Depends on your other gear, shooting style and circumstances. Street with Leica? Prime. Pro sports with Canon? L series zoom. And so forth …

I presently have a Canon DLSR 5DSR and Mirrorless 5R with a mixture of L zooms and primes. FWIW most of the time I shoot with a 24-105 L type zoom on the mirrorless. Just too damn convenient, IQ is better than the primes, or can’t tell, plus 7-10-whatever stops of stabilization and all the information in the electronic eyepiece. I still enjoy the DSLR however for the instant on visceral shots.

But I switch between regular photographic type shots for fun (landscapes and such), and wildlife, but bread and butter is reference shots so yeah.
EscapingDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 10:57 PM   #27

Trailer: Escape 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
I learn something new every day! I'll admit, about the only L lens I have any experience with was the 70-200/2.8 L IS that I rented and hauled around a 4-day music festival, man that was a heavy bugger, but it sure did take nice pics under stage lighting..
Wow, you shot Woodstock? 😜
GregWCIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 11:30 PM   #28
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWCIL View Post
Wow, you shot Woodstock? ��
nah. Strawberry Music Festival, in the mid sierra. bluegrass and folk adjacent

example:
https://pierce.smugmug.com/Strawberr...llery/n-kphgf/
(spring 2013)
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 07:27 AM   #29
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
I should add a plug for the optical viewfinders on DSLRs (and older rangefinders), rather than the fancy electronic viewfinders on the 'mirrorless' cameras. If you use the optical viewfinder (and not the electronic screen on the back), your battery life will be vastly improved. I can use my Canon SL3 Rebel for days without having to change batteries.
Old 09-30-2022, 03:24 PM   #30

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by brain View Post
My newest camera uses only prime lenses.
Chamonix. Very nice. I have a Linhof Technika V that I use on occasion. I say "on occasion" because Fuji Provia 100F 4x5 film is now $130 for a twenty-sheet box. Ouch.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 04:15 PM   #31

Trailer: Casita ... for now ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Chamonix. Very nice. I have a Linhof Technika V that I use on occasion. I say "on occasion" because Fuji Provia 100F 4x5 film is now $130 for a twenty-sheet box. Ouch.

YES!
Not to mention the processing, scanning, and printing costs! But hey who ever said photography was cheap...

I'm only shooting Ilford black and white film with it. You can see some examples on my other Instagram account @mcweeneyphoto

Nice work on your website Mike.
brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 08:22 PM   #32

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLynn View Post
I should add a plug for the optical viewfinders on DSLRs (and older rangefinders), rather than the fancy electronic viewfinders on the 'mirrorless' cameras. If you use the optical viewfinder (and not the electronic screen on the back), your battery life will be vastly improved. I can use my Canon SL3 Rebel for days without having to change batteries.

SLR cameras do have a bit better battery life, but to me a 600 shot photoshoot (which I don't do any more) is a hell of a lot and is still something I can do with just 2-3 batteries using a mirrorless. IMO, battery life is just not a big deal.

Meanwhile, mirrorless cameras have huge advantages:
1) The focus sensor is the image sensor, so the system is more accurate and days of lens calibration are over because the focus system is closed loop.
2) You can focus all over the entire image sensor, not at a limited set of AF sensor points.
3) The image sensor means the focus system can see the image, and provide intelligent focus (like eye recognition and tracking)
4) Excellent manual focus aids
5) Better ability to see and compose in low light.

6) Short register distances which makes for smaller camera bodies and smaller lenses (especially wide lenses).

I shot for years with SLRs, I still have my last one (a Canon 5D Mark IV) but the Sony A7rIII and Canon R6 I've used since then are functionally better and more versatile. If I need to shoot a ton in one go, I can get more batteries.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 02:18 PM   #33
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyG View Post
SLR cameras do have a bit better battery life, but to me a 600 shot photoshoot (which I don't do any more) is a hell of a lot and is still something I can do with just 2-3 batteries using a mirrorless. IMO, battery life is just not a big deal.

Meanwhile, mirrorless cameras have huge advantages:
1) The focus sensor is the image sensor, so the system is more accurate and days of lens calibration are over because the focus system is closed loop.
2) You can focus all over the entire image sensor, not at a limited set of AF sensor points.
3) The image sensor means the focus system can see the image, and provide intelligent focus (like eye recognition and tracking)
4) Excellent manual focus aids
5) Better ability to see and compose in low light.

6) Short register distances which makes for smaller camera bodies and smaller lenses (especially wide lenses).

I shot for years with SLRs, I still have my last one (a Canon 5D Mark IV) but the Sony A7rIII and Canon R6 I've used since then are functionally better and more versatile. If I need to shoot a ton in one go, I can get more batteries.
Thanks for your interesting discussion of the advantages of mirrorless. I'm an ignoramus when it comes to fancy focusing options, especially as I use the viewfinder almost exclusively, and I think many of those functions depend on 'live view' to access.

I did buy a Canon M5 mirrorless with the 18-150mm lens back in December, 2019. It's a nice combination, but I had no end of trouble trying to keep the screen off when using the EVF (you can do it with reassigning buttons, and a piece of tape on the sensor that turns the screen on when you hold the camera up to your eye), so I returned the M5 and decided to go back to the optical viewfinder I prefer, with a Canon SL3.

I do use a Panasonic FZ300 'bridge' camera for birds and such, which is mirrorless (but fixed lens). I use the EVF, so am not really taking advantage of the camera's focusing options as well as I should (like tracking), so I'll keep your points in mind and work with the manual to see what I can do better.
Old 10-13-2022, 08:18 PM   #34

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
My "prime" lens for general sightseeing subjects is my Nikkor 28mm f3.5 (manual focus) lens I bought a couple million years ago. For birds, wildlife, use my Sigma AF 150-600mm contemporary, often with a 1.4x added on. Recently upgraded from a D800 to the D810 and now I really kick arse in the field. This shot is a sample, ISO 3200, at 850mm hand held. and including a severe post processing crop.

(Mirrorless-shmirrorless!)
Attached Thumbnails
GoldM_012.jpg  
Old 10-14-2022, 04:14 AM   #35

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
My "prime" lens for general sightseeing subjects is my Nikkor 28mm f3.5 (manual focus) lens I bought a couple million years ago. For birds, wildlife, use my Sigma AF 150-600mm contemporary, often with a 1.4x added on. Recently upgraded from a D800 to the D810 and now I really kick arse in the field. This shot is a sample, ISO 3200, at 850mm hand held. and including a severe post processing crop.

(Mirrorless-shmirrorless!)
Very nice!

I need a long reach lens.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote