Delivery and shakedown trip - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Visual Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2016, 05:20 PM   #21

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Dave loves Italian food, says he can not get any good Italian in Canada and looks forward to getting it in the lower 48...

Well, I suppose in Chilliwack there's not much selection.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 05:48 PM   #22

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
It still amazes me sometimes how many can't park em right in Pull-thru's. Makes for a good campground happy hour though.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 06:31 PM   #23

Trailer: 2013 Casita (Sold) 2017 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
It still amazes me sometimes how many can't park em right in Pull-thru's. Makes for a good campground happy hour though.
I'll back in anyplace but those pull throughs kick my butt. I can never seem to get it where I want it especially if it's a curve. Feel like an idiot every time it's a pull through!

Never underestimate a man with a Degree in Physical Education.
H46Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 07:07 PM   #24

Pull throughs and back ins gave me fits with the Samp 13's, those things are squirrelly. Seems the bigger the trailer, the easier it gets.
Old 05-26-2016, 07:32 PM   #25

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Seems the bigger the trailer, the easier it gets.
Why do you think Greg? longer distance to the tires? two axles track better when backing up ?
Old 05-26-2016, 07:54 PM   #26

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I'm not surprised at the difficulty with pull-through sites. When you're backing up you can make big changes in trailer position over a relatively short distance with moderate steering adjustments, compared to going in forward and just having the trailer follow you. Also, most of us are accustomed to backing in, so we have that better worked out.

I use two spots in a row in parking lots (at the far end from the store of course), and I don't always hit the spot properly with the trailer position; it isn't trivial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
Why do you think Greg? longer distance to the tires? two axles track better when backing up ?
It's simply the longer distance from ball to trailer axles, which makes the trailer movement less sensitive to the angle at the hitch, or the position of the ball.

Tandem axles just cause scrubbing, which makes the path of the trailer a little less predictable - I don't find that it helps with backing up, and I wouldn't expect it to. Lots of people say they find a bigger tandem easier to back up than a smaller single-axle... but I'm sure it's the length making the difference. I've backed up our single-axle travel trailer and a tandem-axle cargo trailer of nearly the same size, and the travel trailer is easier to control.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 07:54 PM   #27

Several discussions have occurred here on the reasons. Both distance to the axles and the dual axles were put out there. I don't have an engineering background but from experience the 17b was much easier than the Scamp 13 and the 19 is even better handling than the 17b. Those who have had both the 19 aand 21 seem to indicate it's a bit better than the 19, so it would seem to support both of those suppositions. My 29 sticky which had dual axles was nowhere near as easy handling as the 19 is, so is there a point where the improved handling characteristics begin to erode?
Old 06-22-2016, 05:08 PM   #28

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by titanizer View Post
Got to meet Dave and crew Thursday last week when they delivered my 21' Classic. Delivery to TN via TX to drop-off another camper. Sent them next door to Italian restaurant for dinner after delivery. 21' and Ford F150 are truly a great combo; no WDH needed with 3 day trip to Defeated Creek Campground for 1st outing. Encountered no problems at all and everything about the 21' was as expected or better. Love it and the U dinette. Still trying to decide where to put camping gear--so much storage room. 1st mod was installation of Oxygenics Fury hand held shower completed on Tuesday. More to come.
Looks great! Glad to hear all went smooth.
Old 06-22-2016, 06:27 PM   #29

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Dave loves Italian food.....