Home with Our New 19 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Visual Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2018, 10:52 AM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Home with Our New 19

Well after 5400 miles in 12 days we made it home with our new 19. We wanted to get ahead of any winter weather and we needed to be back before Thanksgiving so we had to put in the miles. And on the return the trailer performed flawlessly!

So a little backstory first. We had a 2012 19 for 5 years then decided the crawl over bed was becoming an issue thus prompting the move to the 21. Well after 1 ½ years the 21 was just not working for us for several reasons-mainly the bed layout and size and lack of windows in the front. When Escape announced their winter discount we decided to move back to the 19. In doing so we outfitted it quite differently than in the past and we are very satisfied with our decisions.

Some of the things we did differently this time:

1) 2 solar panels with inverter to all outlets-in the past we have always had 1 solar panel but never an inverter

2) Spray foam underneath-living in TX we never had this but on the return trip we hit some cold temps in the 30s and the floor stayed quite warm. We also feel that it will offer protection from road debris. Glad we got it.

3) High life axle-while the axle itself is not raised the extra height of the body is significant enough to be noticeable (but doesn’t look strange) and it comes in handy when the dump station drain is high.

4) Raised the dinette seats 3” to allow better viewing out the front windows-we are not that short (5’8”/5’5”) but this really helps.

5) Had the center cabinet door above the bed lengthened for easier access.

6) Went back to the “old” style slider windows for better ventilation.

7) Stayed with the electric awning so my wife could easily deploy/retract without me being around.

In the 5 day return trip the trailer was perfect! Everything worked and it tows behind the truck amazingly well (as expected). Although I checked as required I didn’t even need to retighten the lug nuts!

One word of caution. Before you hitch up in Sumas double check your hitch and hitch ball for tightness, especially if someone else has worked on your setup.

Here are a few photos and we are ready to roll again!

Steve

P.S.-one more thing-the night before pickup we stayed at the Hampton Inn only a minute or two away from Escape. This hotel appears to be quite new and was very nice. The advertised price as cheaper than the closer (by 1 block) hotel, but no Escape discount was offered.
Attached Thumbnails
6trCEYlbRaCm0chmWMpZUg.jpg   HvD46LKgRrWBhz+zyfkAIw.jpg   HhGKc35XTqKVxM4hWvHjFg.jpg   Ms+xjrcaT9WtiQ%QReHtGg.jpg   eJcFfS9kRuagwiTrb%wlxg.jpg  

FzMmkkvVQBu8+GsUm7fYog.jpg  
2019 Chevy Silverado RST 1500, 5.3L
sjnuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 10:55 AM   #2

New Door

One item I forgot to mention was the new, non-friction hinge door. We were disappointed to see this change. The strut that holds the door open only allows a 90 degree opening. We immediately asked for the strut to be moved (which Dennis did). But if you do this beware as the doors swings VERY easily. I am looking into alternatives on how to deal with this.

Steve
Old 11-22-2018, 11:31 AM   #3

Trailer: 2023 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnuss View Post

One word of caution. Before you hitch up in Sumas double check your hitch and hitch ball for tightness, especially if someone else has worked on your setup.
Yep, two days after leaving Sumas, my ball hitch came out of the receiver, and the safety chains were called into action.
Traverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 11:31 AM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Very nice, Steve. I really like the second panel add, looks great.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 11:35 AM   #5

It may be hard to tell but the front panel is angled-lower in the front. Had no issues with wind noise on return trip.

Steve
Old 11-22-2018, 08:16 PM   #6

Trailer: , Bigfoot 25B25RT, previously 2019 Escape 21, and Castia sd17
Color of stripes and uphlostery

Steve,
Really like the green, would you share the name of both materials?
Shawn
buellfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 08:26 PM   #7

Sure, be glad too. The graphic color is the yellow-green option and the fabric is Sunbrella Dupione 8050-0000 Paradise 54" Upholstery Fabric. On the fabric ETI told us to buy 10 yds but we have close to half of that left. Make you a good deal on what's left

Steve
Old 11-22-2018, 09:16 PM   #8

Trailer: , Bigfoot 25B25RT, previously 2019 Escape 21, and Castia sd17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnuss View Post
Sure, be glad too. The graphic color is the yellow-green option and the fabric is Sunbrella Dupione 8050-0000 Paradise 54" Upholstery Fabric. On the fabric ETI told us to buy 10 yds but we have close to half of that left. Make you a good deal on what's left

Steve
I finished out my build sheet last week. We went with Sunbrella Canvas Ginkgo, which is a muted solid green. I would have taken you up on the offer last week! I really wanted to do green stripping as I ride Kawasaki 2 stroke bikes and they are lime green! In the end since I could not be sure of the color I decided on Gray which they said matches my dark gray Toyota Tundra. Once we get home I will make graphics in green that will over lay the gray stripes, like shadowing. Yours looks great!
buellfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 09:50 PM   #9

Our fabric choices are similar ours just has some colored striping. Yours will look great too. Good luck with the build.

Steve
Old 11-23-2018, 12:15 AM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Looks great Steve. Glad you made it home to Boerne without incident. Love your choices, especially the dual solar.

We are just getting settled in to our new place on the north side of Canyon Lake, so like you we're officially in the Hill Country. Would love you guys to come by some time and see it.
Old 11-23-2018, 04:44 AM   #11

Trailer: Tent - Looking to Upgrade
Very nice!

You mentioned the “crawl over” bed as a reason for going to a 21, but now went back to a 19, in part because of the bed. Can you elaborate?

Also, nice MagLight. That looks like the 3 cell adjustable beam model. I have the same one in black. You don't see them much anymore.
Tin Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 07:08 AM   #12

Thanks Robert. I have been following your house posts here and the property and house look very nice. We will have to plan a visit to check it out.
Old 11-23-2018, 07:14 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
Very nice!

You mentioned the “crawl over” bed as a reason for going to a 21, but now went back to a 19, in part because of the bed. Can you elaborate?
My wife sleeps along the back wall side of the bed. Due to a shoulder and leg injury she had while on a trip the "crawl over" became very difficult. But as time went on with the 21 she (we) decided that the crawl over was less of an issue then not having the larger bed and being surrounded by windows. To us the 19, with the windows in the front and back just has a more open feel.

Steve
Old 11-23-2018, 07:36 AM   #14

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
Thanks for the report and welcome back to Texas!
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 09:56 AM   #15

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
Could you tell me a little more about chosing the high lift axle? I'm coming up on my confirmation date and thinking hard about it. We have a lip where our driveway meets the road, about 5-6 inches, and I'm a little concerned about bottoming about literally just pulling out of the driveway. (Even though we are in the city, both the driveway and the road are gravel).
Nice colors, btw. Is there any pattern in the white of countertops, or is it solid?
Seneca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 10:45 AM   #16

Keep in mind that the rear frame of a 19 steps up as seen in the photo below. I just measured our non lift 19 for you and the rear bumper is approx 19 inches off the ground. The hitch receiver in the middle hangs down another 2.5 inches.

If you think your bumper is going to drag on the ground and you are going to use a weight distribution hitch, I suggest that you do not attach the bars until you are back on level ground. They are only designed to be used on reasonably level surface.
Attached Thumbnails
30B42F1B-074F-420D-82B8-9DA1154FB42E.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 12:49 PM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19' and 2016 GMC Yukon SLT SUV.
Send a message via AIM to Tonny LR
Steve,
Your trailer is beautiful.
Tonny LR
Tonny LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 07:13 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seneca View Post
Could you tell me a little more about chosing the high lift axle?

Nice colors, btw. Is there any pattern in the white of countertops, or is it solid?
Actually we just decided to do something a little different in the hope of more boondocking and having a bit more ground clearance. I have not measured anything yet but the rear is visually higher than w/o the high lift. When we dumped the other day the difference in drain valve height was noticeable so if nothing else we are glad to have this.

As to the countertops there is a slight hint of pattern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonny LR View Post
Steve,
Your trailer is beautiful.
Tonny LR
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
Keep in mind that the rear frame of a 19 steps up as seen in the photo below. I just measured our non lift 19 for you and the rear bumper is approx 19 inches off the ground. The hitch receiver in the middle hangs down another 2.5 inches.
Well, disregard my first comment. I just measured the rear bumper (at the bottom) and it is 22 ½", in line with what Escape claims on the raised height I believe.

Steve
Old 11-24-2018, 10:27 AM   #19

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
Thanks for the input on the high lift axle. I started out thinking I wanted it, then I dropped it, and I'm edging back to wanting it again.

My principal intended use of the trailer is distributed camping in the Southern Rockies and Desert Southwest. My secondary use will be similar trips but to campsites with and without hookups in the national forests and state parks of that area. Past that, I'm open to all sorts of ideas on how to use the trailer, but am not particularly focused.

With respect to electrical upgrades, I've decided to go basic and see what, after a year of use, I want to change. Upgrade the batteries, solar and/or generator, all of that can be done in the aftermarket. With respect to an undercoating of foam insulation and the high lift option, I'm told by my sales person at ETI that the former is easy to do a few years down the road, but the latter is more involved and without trying to put a number on it, retrofitting the high lift axle on a trailer already in service would be considerably more expensive than doing it upfront. (Just a shout out to Linda--she's been incredibly patient, low key and helpful throughout this process.)

Reading over what I've written, I've about decided to go back to the high lift option. When I was looking hard at Casitas, it was a no brainer. On the Escape, it requires a bit more thought. But many of the trailers (not necessarily fiberglass shell) I've seen boondocking in places I'd like to camp, appear to have been lifted.

Okay, any reactions to that thought process?
Seneca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 10:47 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seneca View Post

With respect to electrical upgrades, I've decided to go basic and see what, after a year of use, I want to change.

Just be sure to get the hardwired surge protector-invaluable IMHO.

Reading over what I've written, I've about decided to go back to the high lift option.

Certainly if it is in your budget the original cost will long be forgotten, especially if you regret not getting an option.
I think you are on track. My build philosophy is to get whatever I can at the build instead of trying to add later.

Steve