My New Escape 17 - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Visual Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2011, 06:42 AM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Re: My New Escape 17

Hi: Vermilye... I really enjoy your pic's. We're tripping right along with you. Seems the Rav4/Escape combo is a real performer!!! Have you kept a log of the #'s of wanna sees Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:55 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150

So far, besides the Escape 17, the best part of my trip has been photographing Antelope Canyon at Page, AZ:

More photos at http://www.lakeshoreimages.com/canyon.html
Attached Thumbnails
ASC_7694.jpg   ASC_7820.jpg  
Old 05-16-2011, 10:49 AM   #23

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna

Amazing!
Thanks for the updates. As I had taken my kids to Bodie, I sent them your photos to jog their memories. We were poking around the deserted town and peeking in the windows when at one of the cabin windows a face suddenly appeared. I let out a blood curdling scream and nearly gave the ranger a heart attack. As it was early spring with snow still on the ground, there were very few persons that visited. There was only one other couple there in the whole place. It was really a bit spooky initially, but after that a bit comforting to know we weren't quite alone. My middle one kept singing an old song that she learned in school: "Oh my God, she's gone to Bodie".
Keep having fun!

Old 05-16-2011, 10:20 PM   #24

Fantastic photo's. I live 20 minutes from Zion and still cannot believe how beautiful it is when I see it coming home from work every night. Every day is a new view depending on the sun and time of day.

Love to live vicariously thru your travels. Please keep up your travels with Escape.

Safe travels,
Alice

If you can dream it, you can do it
walloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 11:26 AM   #25

Trailer: 2011 19' Escape

Looking at your trip blog, you have definitely used your trailer. Can you give a review of how you like the trailer? What mods are you happy with? What mods do you wish you would have done?
Old 07-23-2011, 08:03 PM   #26

As to how I like the trailer, I think it is great. The only problem I have had with it is at almost every campground someone wants to check it out! About the only thing I would do different is I'd replace the rear dinette with a bed. I have only set it up once in 97 days, and that was just to try it. I travel by myself & when friends visited the three of us managed to eat at the front table without problems. Actually, most of the time we ate outdoors. I currently sleep on the rear dinette set up as a bed, complete with a 2" topper. By the way, if that is the way you are going to go, ask Reace to move the AC receptacle on the face of the sink as high as possible.

The best option for me has been the front storage unit. It is a bit tight to open & close with the dual propane tank cover, but I'll be able to fix that when I get back to Oswego. I still haven't decided if the 5 cu ft fridge was the right decision. I don't keep it full, so maybe I could have gotten away with the standard fridge & had space for a microwave. Then again, I haven't missed a microwave.

As to other options, I ordered the trailer with almost all available including the 95 Watt Solar Panel. The panel keeps up with my heavy laptop, router, and other electronics fine as long as there is sun. When I was in Apgar parked in the shade for 3 days it didn't ever get back to 100%, but when parked out from under trees, even on cloudy days it keeps up.

In addition to the back up camera on the 17B, the other modification I asked Reese to add was a "Wilson Electronics 801212 Cell Phone Signal Booster Kit". It includes an external antenna, a 3 watt amplifier and an internal antenna. Rather than use the external antenna that came with the kit I used a "Wilson Electronics Dual Band 21.5 inc RV,Trucker Cellular Antenna Kit with Mount" which has a bit more gain. The external antenna is on the rear driver's side while the internal antenna is mounted center front (on the face of the shelf). This provides an increased cell signal in the area within 4' or so of the internal antenna. I added a WiFi Ranger router that lets you choose between the campground WiFi, a USB cell modem or a Ethernet connection for inputs & provides a local WiFi signal that is strong enough to cover a 100" radius around the trailer. If you have multiple devices that are WiFi enabled, you only need to change the router connection; your devices all stay connected to your local WiFi signal. Another advantage is the router's WiFi signal is strong enough that it covers my iPhone while driving. I like to use the Public Radio App to listen to my hometown NPR station (WRVO). If I don't have AT&T coverage I often do have Verizon, the service that the cell modem uses.

Because I update my travel, photography & RV website often, those modifications work well. You probably don't need them if you are not an internet "geek".

I also added a Progressive 30 amp Power Monitor. There is another thread describing it - Power Conditioner. I also switched out the "Quick Links" used to connect the safety chains for heavy duty snap hooks, making it much easier to hook & unhook.

That's about all I've done so far. I have a 15' LED strip that I'm going to add just below the awning to provide some interesting night lighting, and I will probably add a small inverter to provide 120V when not hooked up to AC, but that's all I have planned right now.

If you have a specific question, I'd be glad to try to answer it!

Old 07-24-2011, 07:40 AM   #27

Trailer: 2011 19' Escape

Glad you are enjoying your new escape!!

I have ordered a 17A with a December completion date. I have already stolen you back up camera idea. Thanks for your feedback.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:58 PM   #28

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0

Sure enjoying your trip Jon. Wish we were able to travel along...but enjoying the cybertravel : - )
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 03:59 AM   #29

13.5 mpg on secondary road seems low to me. It seems there is no point is going small if the fuel economy is so poor. What do you get on the open highway?

Also do you know what your rig weighs?

Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 11:31 AM   #30

I didn't catch this question until now; hope the answer is still useful. After about 20K miles hauling the trailer I have determined my mileage towing is around 15MPG US. Best is towing at 60MPH on the interstates, worst (around 13.5MPG) is the hills & curves on narrow secondary roads around the east coast mountains where speed changes constantly from 20 - 50 MPH.

Actual weight of the trailer is 2980 lbs loaded for a trip (1/3 fresh water, empty grey & black, 2 full propane) I am a solo traveler, so I probably have less "stuff" than some, then again, I travel with lots of camera gear. In any case my main reasons for towing with the RAV4 is I love the vehicle, I already had it, and it gets 24-25MPG when not towing.