New 5.0 Build - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Visual Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-17-2021, 11:54 AM   #81

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 [August]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd V View Post
I don't know if you're travelling thru Dayton Ohio on your way back to Rhode Island, but I would trade you a tour of the Air Force Museum for a tour of your camper. I'm trying to convince my wife to get one.
In case you're not familiar with it, Escape Trailer Industries has an Ambassador Program where you can reach out to them and request information and location on someone who has a trailer in the style/size that you would like to see. My wife and I did this with a local couple in Fort Collins, CO to walk through our first "Escape Exposure" which was a 19' Escape. Even if it's not the final choice you make it will provide a nice overview of the size and build quality of these units. It sold us and we subsequently sold our 2007 16' Casita and now have an Escape 5.0 on order.

Good luck in your quest!
gjsheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 12:33 PM   #82

Trailer: Scamp 16' 2017 (sold) Lance 2185 (sold) Deposit for 5.0TA
Yes - I think that actually might be my neighbor w/the 19' Escape! They are part of the ambassador program. Was very impressed w/the quality.
dlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 01:09 PM   #83

I'm in the early stages, but ETI recommended the Anderson Ultimate to me. I think it is this one. ETI also has a doc w/the hitch requirements.
I noticed that Kirby's Hitch & Wiring in Loveland is listed as an Anderson dealer.

Yes they are (along with B&W too) and they have a good reputation for installations. They've been doing hitches for 20 years. The Loveland Ford dealership said that's who they refer to if they can't meet a customers needs themselves.

What were you planning on using?

Our plan is to add the B&W Turnoverball gooseneck hitch (underbed frame mount) and use that to attach the Anderson Ultimate 5th wheel hitch (#3220 standard height). With the light weight of the Anderson and ease of removal along with the B&W ball being able to be flipped over you get a flush truckbed when you need it without hitch rails in the way. With only a 5.5' bed I don't want to lose any more capacity than I absolutely have to. The dilemma right now is that B&W had to re-engineer the frame mount for the Turnover Ball setup for the 2021 F150. Ford made enough frame changes this year that the past hitches wouldn't work. I've been in contact with them and it's now in production for shipment to distributors by the end of April but Kirby's tells me it's taking 5-6 weeks for B&W to fulfill their orders because of the increased demand. That pushes me to the end of June or early July with my 5.0 completion date set for August 9. Should be fine, but not much buffer time if there are any other glitches. I've already ordered my Anderson straight from the company because ETI wants the hitch adapter sent to them for pre-delivery installation. Hope this info helps.
Old 04-17-2021, 01:12 PM   #84

Trailer: 2019 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjsheldon View Post
Sorry Chamberman, I should have stated my request in clearer terms. I meant the TeleVision mount inside the trailer, not the Tow Vehicle hitch mount.

Ha ha, sorry!

I saw some posts about the hitch and my brain didn't switch gears to the television. Maybe I should have drank a second cup of coffee this morning.
Chamberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 01:29 PM   #85

Nice - you're ahead of me on the hitch homework. This is really helpful. That's a smart idea w/the B&W Turnoverball gooseneck hitch.

Besides the Anderson Ultimate and gooseneck, are you also installing a 5th wheel wiring harness in the truck bed? Something like this. Any other components I'm leaving out?
Old 04-17-2021, 02:39 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamberman View Post
Ha ha, sorry!

I saw some posts about the hitch and my brain didn't switch gears to the television. Maybe I should have drank a second cup of coffee this morning.
No worries. When I posted late last night I never even thought that TV could be interpreted as Tow Vehicle so that brain switch thing works both directions. Guess I should have hit the sack earlier!!
Old 04-17-2021, 05:48 PM   #87

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Thanks for all the best wishes. We're on the road and with limited reception my responses will be slow. Here's some answers:

Purchased the folding hooks at Amazon:https://www.amazon.com/INATSUNNY-Fol...8696578&sr=8-4
Ordered this bathroom wall reinforced for coat hooks and will install a grab bar when home.
The TV mount was a Master Mount 404L locking cantilever wall mount. I bought it on ebay. I made two 1x3 blocks that were glued and screwed to the end of that wall to make a 2 1/4" surface to attach the mount. It's very sturdy and locks in place for traveling.

I can't download any photos with the limited reception at Kalaloch Campground. Will send them later.
Old 04-18-2021, 09:36 PM   #88

Photos (now that my hot spot is behaving) related to my previous post. The TV mount installed on the road - will finish when we get home.
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210417_4.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	54932Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210417_5.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	54933
Hooks on bathroom wall.

Name:	PXL_20210417_6.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	54934
The other TV mount: Andersen rail mount and Tonneau mate storage box with roll-up cover.

Name:	PXL_20210417_7.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	402.9 KB
ID:	54935
Really like the box which mounts on rails under the roll up cover and has about 6" clear to the floor allowing lumber to be loaded utilizing the complete bed length. Also the Curt rails mount directly on the bed requiring the OEM bed liner to be cut, but as a result are only slightly above the liner.
Old 04-18-2021, 09:40 PM   #89
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Great job, everything looks really nice. Ahhh, time to change your profile
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 03:58 PM   #90

Picked up the 5.0 at Sumas on 4/12. Went smoothly except Andersen adapter on the king pin had the bolt orientation reversed. Couldn't unscrew the nut and install the eye nut for safety chains, because the hitch lock mecanism was in the way. But I had 1/4" hex fitting for my torque wrench and was able to reinstall the adapter reverse the bolts, torque the 4 set screws, and hook up safety chains Also the crank for lowering the stabilizers was nowhere to be found, using my electric drill for now.
Spent 3 days at Bay View SP buying supplies for our trip back to RI and few simple mods. From there went down the WA, OR, CA coast to Morro bay then east to Grand Canyon, Pie Town and Santa Fe, currently in OK. A few photos: Fort Casey, Grand Canyon, Pie Town and Palo Duro SP TX. Due home 5/15.

Name:	Fort_Casy.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	406.8 KB
ID:	55266

Name:	GrandCanyon.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	402.9 KB
ID:	55267

Name:	PieTown.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	248.1 KB
ID:	55268

Name:	Palo Duro SP.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	227.2 KB
ID:	55269
Old 05-05-2021, 05:07 PM   #91

Great looking rig and good problem-solving!
Old 07-15-2021, 06:03 PM   #92

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Congrats!
Is the raised dinette area standard on the 5.0?
AuthorSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 06:08 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuthorSP View Post
Congrats!
Is the raised dinette area standard on the 5.0?
I believe that the slight "step up" is the standard and only configuration on the 5.0 for the dinette area in the rear of the trailer. We don't have our trailer yet (August 13 pickup) so I can't tell you how high that step is. Others will know and respond I'm certain.
Old 07-15-2021, 06:12 PM   #94

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Quote:
Originally Posted by bristol5.0 View Post
Picked up the 5.0 at Sumas on 4/12. Went smoothly except Andersen adapter on the king pin had the bolt orientation reversed. Couldn't unscrew the nut and install the eye nut for safety chains, because the hitch lock mecanism was in the way. But I had 1/4" hex fitting for my torque wrench and was able to reinstall the adapter reverse the bolts, torque the 4 set screws, and hook up safety chains Also the crank for lowering the stabilizers was nowhere to be found, using my electric drill for now.
Spent 3 days at Bay View SP buying supplies for our trip back to RI and few simple mods. From there went down the WA, OR, CA coast to Morro bay then east to Grand Canyon, Pie Town and Santa Fe, currently in OK. A few photos: Fort Casey, Grand Canyon, Pie Town and Palo Duro SP TX. Due home 5/15.
Attachment 55266

Attachment 55267

Attachment 55268

Attachment 55269
Beautiful setup and successful trip. Kudos!
Old 07-15-2021, 09:15 PM   #95

Bristol5.0,

Back in post 56 you mentioned that with the rear rail mounted with the 30" distance from the rear edge of the bed you expected a couple of inches of clearance with the tailgate open. Did that end up being the case? Now that you've towed the 5.0 would you have moved the rails any if you were mounting it again? I ask because I've seen another poster that said if he had it to do over again he would've moved the rails an inch one way or the other.

I too have the F150 supercab with 6.5' bed and I plan to use the same rail mounted hitch.
Old 07-16-2021, 06:51 AM   #96

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Bristol5.0,

Back in post 56 you mentioned that with the rear rail mounted with the 30" distance from the rear edge of the bed you expected a couple of inches of clearance with the tailgate open. Did that end up being the case? Now that you've towed the 5.0 would you have moved the rails any if you were mounting it again? I ask because I've seen another poster that said if he had it to do over again he would've moved the rails an inch one way or the other.

I too have the F150 supercab with 6.5' bed and I plan to use the same rail mounted hitch.
Quote:
Bristol5.0,

I have an F-150 with a 6.5’ bed. Please note that the rail mounting kits by Reese or Curt etc. mount to the F-150’s frame and do not allow “desired” placement of the rails. However, the tailgate can be dropped if backing perpendicularly to the trailer, with a small amount of clearance. If coming back at an angle, one would need to stop and raise the tailgate after the king pin clears the rear of the bed. If you have a “copilot,” they can raise the tailgate at the appropriate time; if hooking up solo, it can be an arduous process. I eliminated all concern of inadvertent tailgate contact/damage by purchasing a Stromberg Carlson 5th wheel tailgate. The tailgate is hardly ever opened as the kingpin easily clears the tailgate when it is raised to the correct hitching height.
Old 07-16-2021, 07:28 AM   #97

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
I have an F-150 with a 6.5’ bed. Please note that the rail mounting kits by Reese or Curt etc. mount to the F-150’s frame and do not allow “desired” placement of the rails. However, the tailgate can be dropped if backing perpendicularly to the trailer, with a small amount of clearance. If coming back at an angle, one would need to stop and raise the tailgate after the king pin clears the rear of the bed. If you have a “copilot,” they can raise the tailgate at the appropriate time; if hooking up solo, it can be an arduous process. I eliminated all concern of inadvertent tailgate contact/damage by purchasing a Stromberg Carlson 5th wheel tailgate. The tailgate is hardly ever opened as the kingpin easily clears the tailgate when it is raised to the correct hitching height.
We have a 2019 F150 with a 6.5" bed. I went to Truckin America in Rochester and they had no problem installing the either Reese or Curt (I forgot) rails at the dimension I requested. We can open the tailgate with ease when hooked up.

We've got 16,000 miles hooked up this way. I had them install at my dimensions because it was too close in our 2015 F150 with 6.5' box.

It can be done. I've posted this in another thread with the dimensions I gave them.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 07-16-2021, 10:25 AM   #98

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
I have an F-150 with a 6.5’ bed. .... I eliminated all concern of inadvertent tailgate contact/damage by purchasing a Stromberg Carlson 5th wheel tailgate. The tailgate is hardly ever opened as the kingpin easily clears the tailgate when it is raised to the correct hitching height.
Carl, I see from your profile page that you have a 2020 F150. Did you lose your OE in-tailgate rear-view cam when you installed the 5th wheel tailgate, or was that accommodated / transferred over to the Stromberg tailgate in some manner?

Just curious, thanks in advance for any detail if the latter
Old 07-16-2021, 10:43 AM   #99

Trailer: "The Roadrunner" 2021 Escape 5.0
Outlet

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlite View Post
Nice - you're ahead of me on the hitch homework. This is really helpful. That's a smart idea w/the B&W Turnoverball gooseneck hitch.

Besides the Anderson Ultimate and gooseneck, are you also installing a 5th wheel wiring harness in the truck bed? Something like this. Any other components I'm leaving out?
I'm thinking I will not need to plug into something in the bed,just use the outlet at the bumper. Will that not work?
Old 07-16-2021, 10:52 AM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
We have a 2019 F150 with a 6.5" bed. I went to Truckin America in Rochester and they had no problem installing the either Reese or Curt (I forgot) rails at the dimension I requested. We can open the tailgate with ease when hooked up.

We've got 16,000 miles hooked up this way. I had them install at my dimensions because it was too close in our 2015 F150 with 6.5' box.

It can be done. I've posted this in another thread with the dimensions I gave them.

Enjoy,

Perry
Good to know!
I'll see if I can dig up that thread. I'm guessing that you have the ball mounted a few inches rearward of the axle centerline?