Our new 19ft. Escape: it's home and we love it! - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Visual Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2011, 07:25 PM   #1

Trailer: No RV for now.
Our new 19ft. Escape: it's home and we love it!

Thank you to Reace and Tammy! We purchased our first Escape trailer in 2004; it was a 17ft.B. We loved it and used it often, but decided to upgrade to a 2009 17B after numerous improvements and changes were made. We loved that trailer, too, but we are extremely happy with our final Escape trailer!
The quality, the attention to detail, the changes made over the years (many due to suggestions from customers), the integrity of the owners, the ability to customize your trailer and make it fit your needs, all make this an incredibly unique trailer! We are more impressed than ever now that we have our new trailer! We applaud what Reese and Tammy are doing! There is no company like it that we know of and it is impressive to watch their business grow and change and keep getting better! If you are thinking about an Escape, you can't do better in a lightweight, fiberglass, well-built trailer! We have gotten many ideas for customizing our trailer from the forum and appreciate all of the sharing of members of this forum.

I have attached a couple of photos of our new Escape. You can check out more photos here as well: https://sites.google.com/site/1bosel...ft-escape-home

Linda and Pete
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6883.JPG   IMG_6910.JPG  
Old 02-12-2011, 08:09 PM   #2

Trailer: 2011 Escape 19
Re: Our new 19ft. Escape: it's home and we love it!

Thank you for posting the pictures of your new trailer. My 19' is due at the beginning of May and I am still looking for features or changes that I might want to incorporate in my trailer. My build sheet has not been frozen yet, but it will happen soon.

I noticed that you swapped the location of the sink and stove, I would appreciate knowing your reasoning on this.

I like the flip up table at the head/foot of the bed on the galley wall complete with 110v, 12V and cable connections. My guess is that this is for a TV or laptop computer so that you can watch movies in bed, but I would like to know your thinking on this as well.

Are there any other changes that I missed?

I am haunted by the feeling that I will get my new trailer and have a D'oh! moment when I realize that I should have ordered a particular option and didn't.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:06 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014

It also appears the range hood is missing. Is that by your choice or a new design?
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:46 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA

SWEET! I love your color choice. Bright and cheery
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 10:00 PM   #5

We chose the following options (comments if it fits):
1. Swapped the stove and sink, no range hood: We did that because we didn't want the hood; more openness, Reace said that it really wasn't needed, and with the Maxx fan located near the door of the trailer, the swap of the sink and stove allowed that fan to replace the range hood. However, we don't cook much when camping and we are vegetarians, so not sure this would work for everyone. We love the openness though. No hood is good for us.
2. Extra window over sink
3. three 12 volt plugs; one near the bed (under the counter extension due to laptop/TV that will be there at times), one on the left front corner, near the shelf in the front over dinette (so we can plug/charge our mp3 player; that is our music system; we have a very small Altec portable speaker and it is great there (http://www.amazon.com/Altec-Lansing-...7567549&sr=8-1)
4. Shore power detachable cord (plugs in on outside; this way we don't have to feed the power cord back into the trailer and there is one less place for those little rodents to enter)
5. Tongue box (not only does this give us storage for set-up items, but it is covered with linex and protects from rock chips) and an exterior light above it (for loading/unloading at night)
6. Exterior 110V outlet
7. Bike rack ready (you can also put a rack on the back and carry a storage box if needed)
8. Roof mount air
9. Exterior shower
10. Extra insulation and thermal windows (this is great not just for colder climates, but insulates in hot weather, and also insulates from noise in campgrounds!)
11. 2 way hot water tank (so we can run on electric power when plugged in)
12. Cabinet door in seat bench
13. Grab handle in bathroom, to left of door; don't need this now, but we might later!
14. Exterior propane quick connect
15. Counter extension at end of sink, over bed
16. Battery disconnect; this comes with the 2 six volt battery option, but we have had this in other trailers and like being able to make sure that battery is not powering anything at times
17. Formica is Atomic Orange; it looks plain in the photos, but it is more mottled in person; we wanted it to be different, warm, but bright. We like it.
18. Exterior rear vertical LED tail-lights next to rear window. We love this addition! If you carry anything on the back, more visibility for tail-lights. We just figured it was a must-have safety item and were glad to find out about it from another Escape owner.
19. Used our own fabric for seat cushions (obviously!); we love the ability to customize in so many ways!

We got many of the ideas from other forum members and are thankful for that. Most of all, we are incredibly appreciative of Reace and Tammy for working with us to make this trailer our own. What other fiberglass trailer manufacturers allow so much customization?

feel free to email if you have more questions. we love our trailer!
Old 02-12-2011, 11:11 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: Pete_Linda...WOW!!! Looks very "Orange Crush" to me... 8). Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:55 PM   #7

Thank you Pete and Linda for answering my questions and explaining your thinking. I got both of your PM's as well. Your post will also be helpful to future Escape 19 owners who have a plethora of options to wade through.

I seem to have chosen most of the same options that you did plus a few more that make camping without hook-ups easier. This included the dual 6V batteries, pre-wiring for solar panels, and some extra wiring for a different battery charger and some power monitoring systems that I will be installing after I get the trailer.

I smiled when I saw the picture that included the cabinet door in the in the bench seat, hinged on the left. I first saw this on Grasshopper's trailer and it was immediately on my "must have" list because I tripped over the dirty shoes by the door once too often in our old trailer.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:38 AM   #8
Geo

Very nice trailer!
We have had ours since Aug 2010 and love it.
Enjoy your many ESCAPES
Geo
Geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:45 AM   #9

Trailer: 17

what brand roof mount A/C is that. I like how small it is, looks like it could run off a 2000 size Generator which would be handy.

also, I see you don't have the awning. What is that strip across the top where the awning would go? Thanks
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:29 AM   #10

Hello. You would have to ask Reace about the air conditioner; it was whatever came as the roof mount air option.

We actually did get the awning; we just didn't get it installed. The strip you see is the awning rail if we want to add it later. We so seldom use one that we thought we would just leave it off for now. We can put it on if we ever want to in the future. We often camp on the coast where it is quite windy. Don't hang out at our trailer much, either, so it just seems like it will be less to maintain if it is not installed. We'll see how it goes.

The more we get to know our trailer, the more we appreciate the quality and the amazing attention to detail!

Linda
Old 02-14-2011, 10:44 PM   #11

We ordered everything except a TV antenna. Options were a stove and oven, exterior porch lights on both sides and the front, extra tail lights, deep stainless sink and chrome high faucet, front fiberglass box.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocamp
what brand roof mount A/C is that. I like how small it is, looks like it could run off a 2000 size Generator which would be handy.
I asked Reace & Tammy about the A/C last summer:
The A/C currently being installed in the Escape trailers is a Dometic Penguin model 600312.331C, 11,000 BTUH, 115V, 60 Hz, 1 Ph. Recommended generator size is 2.5 KW.
You can see it in the Dometic brochure www.dometic.com/f0493afb-4b19-459b-9a70-a6532be76248.fodoc .

As for running it on the Honda EU2000, I wrote about this in a previous post titled "Honda EU2000i and Dometic Penguin A/C with SmartStart" http://escapeforum.org/index.php?topic=1282.0. I have since purchased the SmartStart module for US$382.50 and will be installing it on my trailer when I get it this spring.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:31 AM   #13

Nice unit! I really like the tongue box and dual propane in front.

But what is with the black spare tire cover... Is it the new standard equipment instead of the white with red maple leaf??
Is it available as an option for unpatriotic Canadians??

Gord
shanngord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:47 AM   #14

Due to issues we had with previous white tire covers (tire black bleeding through, even if covered in plastic), we opted for the black. We really liked the white with red maple leaf, even though we are not Canadians. We do miss that! I am not sure if the black is standard now. You would have to check with Reace on that one.

Linda
Old 02-15-2011, 12:47 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocamp
I don't do generators; I don't like the noise or the other pollution aspects. Guess there are propane versions that are cleaner burning (not as many PMs), but the noise is still an issue for me. I would not want to be camping in a quiet campground with a natural setting and have to listen to generators all around me! Just my personal preference. I would rather get by with less and enjoy the environment in the most natural state possible. I will probably offend some with this comment, but that is not my intent. Just like it quiet and I like clean air.

Linda

Old 02-15-2011, 01:06 PM   #16

I don't do generators; I don't like the noise or the other pollution aspects.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_Linda
Amen to that!! No radio, no television, no motorbikes, no outboard motor, avoid big RV crowded campgrounds.... Now that's camping

Gord
Old 02-15-2011, 02:17 PM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: All...We live in an urban area of the county. We aren't allowed to have a brush fire due to smoke, but I can run a non catalytic gas powered chipper/shreader all day to grind up the yard waste. Go FIGURE!!!
No gens. for me either!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 03:08 PM   #18

Add me to the list of people who dislike generators.

There is a time and a place for them however, and one of them is in the middle of an open field on the prairies on a stinking hot and humid summer day. I have the unfortunate addiction of flying radio controlled helicopters and after a number hours in the blazing sun, the ability to go and have a nap in an air conditioned trailer is almost a necessity. Beer would be the preferable solution but then that would be the end of flying for the day.

The other time I use my generator is if my trailer batteries go dead while I am dry camping. With the charger that I use, I can bring a pair of 6V GC batteries from dead to 80% charge in 2 hours. In cold weather, when we were using the furnace every night, I had to charge every 3 days with my old trailer. The new one may be able to go longer given that it has better insulation and windows. I plan to install solar panels eventually which should eliminate the need to run the generator for battery charging. The will allow me to leave it at home for camping trips.
The generator I use is the Honda EU2000i, which is arguably the quietest generator out there, in an effort to be as unobnoxious as possible.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:21 PM   #19

Congrtulations, Pete & Linda!
Enjoy your new Escape. We've only had ours out twice since new (winter set in). I love the new trailer smell

Having removed a bunch of hatches and covers has given me the opportunity to see the quality of the consturction up close and personal, and I am very impressed. Reace and Tammy have produced a great, well-made product.

Dave

p.s.: add me to the list of folks who dislike generators. Having said that, the little Hondas, used with discretion, are not on my hit list.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:48 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Kroeker

The other time I use my generator is if my trailer batteries go dead while I am dry camping. With the charger that I use, I can bring a pair of 6V GC batteries from dead to 80% charge in 2 hours. In cold weather, when we were using the furnace every night, I had to charge every 3 days with my old trailer. The new one may be able to go longer given that it has better insulation and windows.... The generator I use is the Honda EU2000i, which is arguably the quietest generator out there, in an effort to be as unobnoxious as possible.
As we are setting our trailer up for "boondocking" (must be an Eastern term as the term "bushcamping" is probably the closest translation around here), I might be tempted to buy the Honda EU2000i the first time I need to recharge in "the boons". Two hours to 80% sounds good.

Gord