Ready for the road! - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Visual Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-28-2016, 12:21 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Ready for the road!

My Forester is set for towing, brake controller works (still fine-tuning), cargo rack is on, tongue weight set. Yesterday I took a run up to Fort Casey State Park to test everything out. No problems on hills or at highway speed (55 max) but the only thing very steep also had a lower speed limit so I didn't really test out speed on hills. Everything felt very stable.

Next is packing for a trial campout (hoping for this next week) same location. (I could have stayed yesterday but had an evening commitment and then guests this weekend). I need to figure out the heater and fridge before that trip.

Then I hope to do a short road trip to see the grands sometime in November. Maybe for Thanksgiving. No mountains in the near future as I'm still deciding whether to get a new tow vehicle sooner rather than later.
Attached Thumbnails
P1020193.jpg   P1020191.jpg  
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 01:10 PM   #2

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
Looks great Bobbie, have fun with your new toy
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 06:41 PM   #3

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
My Forester is set for towing, brake controller works (still fine-tuning), cargo rack is on, tongue weight set. Yesterday I took a run up to Fort Casey State Park to test everything out. No problems on hills or at highway speed (55 max) but the only thing very steep also had a lower speed limit so I didn't really test out speed on hills. Everything felt very stable.

Next is packing for a trial campout (hoping for this next week) same location. (I could have stayed yesterday but had an evening commitment and then guests this weekend). I need to figure out the heater and fridge before that trip.

Then I hope to do a short road trip to see the grands sometime in November. Maybe for Thanksgiving. No mountains in the near future as I'm still deciding whether to get a new tow vehicle sooner rather than later.
your tug and trailer look like a great combination!
hope you can find some sunshine up there to enjoy the camping.
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 06:43 PM   #4

I sure wish I could have gone today- it may be the last sunny day.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:01 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Looks good Bobbie. Just make sure your cord will not catch on something.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:22 PM   #6

Good point. I need to attach it up higher. And adjust the safety chains a little, too.
Old 12-15-2016, 08:39 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 21 Dec 2016
Changes 2017

Sent from my SM-G928W8 using Tapatalk
Tisiphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 09:39 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 aka "Bon Temps"
Very nice, looks like the trailer is pretty level best as i can tell from the pics. Do you have your mind set on a particular tow vehicle or are you just in the comparing/looking phase? Enjoy your trip.
Mike & Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 10:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tisiphone View Post
Changes 2017

Sent from my SM-G928W8 using Tapatalk
Huh? I have no idea what you mean to say here.
Old 12-16-2016, 10:28 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike & Donna View Post
Very nice, looks like the trailer is pretty level best as i can tell from the pics. Do you have your mind set on a particular tow vehicle or are you just in the comparing/looking phase? Enjoy your trip.
Still deciding. I took the trailer to N. Cal (Humboldt) and back over Thanksgiving and did fine. I've moved the cargo rack closer to the back of the trailer. The main reason I still want to look at new TVs is that it is a little confining to have to worry about exactly how to pack- I had to take the xpens on my trip despite knowing I wouldn't use them because they balance the front weight. I also have to think about what all I take and it would be nice to take whatever I want and not worry about that.

In the running right now are Honda Pilot, Kia Sorrento, maybe Toyota Highlander but I don't like how the back seats fold down, maybe Honda Ridgeline, maybe a 2012 Rav4 V6 if I can find a good one. I'm in no hurry since this setup works just fine as long as I consider the limitations. I came back from the trip sick (germy grandkids!) so haven't had a chance to go test drive anything yet.
Old 12-16-2016, 11:45 AM   #11

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Hi Bobbie54. Sweet looking combination!! Are you sure you want to separate those two?
Maybe you can find room to add ETI's- or your own storage box on the front, and keep this handsome looking couple together?
Old 12-16-2016, 12:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marry View Post
Hi Bobbie54. Sweet looking combination!! Are you sure you want to separate those two?
Maybe you can find room to add ETI's- or your own storage box on the front, and keep this handsome looking couple together?
The issue is that the Forester only takes a 200 lb tongue weight and 2400 lbs total. To get the tongue weight down to 200 lbs I need the cargo rack in back. Then if I want 10% of the weight on the tongue I need to keep overall weight to about 2000 lbs (Subaru says 8-11% or some such number but I don't like to go below 10%) and that means always having to watch the weight. (Though technically I could still carry about 400 lbs more in the back of the Subaru, I don't think I'd want to.) So it works- but it's not ideal, and ultimately I'll probably move up to something that doesn't have the limitations the Forester does.
Old 12-16-2016, 12:45 PM   #13

Here we are on the Thanksgiving trip along the Oregon coast. Cargo rack is as close to the back bumper as it goes now.
Attached Thumbnails
trailer on coast.jpg  
Old 02-14-2017, 09:29 AM   #14

Trailer: 2016 Homebuilt Teardrop
Stiffer Rear Springs

I installed racing springs (20-30% stiffer) in the rear to eliminate the rear end sag in my 2009 Forester since my camper has a tongue weight of 215 pounds. Yes, my tongue weight is over the limit, but this bought me some extra time to save up for a different tow vehicle. I found them at Primitive Racing.
Dusty Mark is offline   Reply With Quote