Sandra's "Suite Escape" - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Visual Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-11-2009, 03:47 PM   #21

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0
Re: Sandra's "Suite Escape"

Heh Sandra, on the front left corner, bottom (door side), is there something molded into the fiberglass there? Something just for you, or are all the 17's like that? Just wondering what that is.
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:25 PM   #22

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna

Thanks all for the gracious responses! They are much appreciated. That outlined area under the lower rock guard is an exterior locking hatch. There is one on each front side as well as the left rear for outside access to the area beneath the benches for things like hoses, chucks, tools etc. I'm leaving home tomorrow and will be in Chilliwack on Monday to meet and greet the 'Suite Escape"
Old 06-12-2009, 05:18 AM   #23

Hope you can sleep! The adrenalin is pumping!!!
Old 06-15-2009, 11:15 PM   #24

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape

Well, Sandra should be spending her first night in her new "suite escape"

Looking forward to hearing her reports...
Old 06-22-2009, 03:04 PM   #25

Hi All!
The "Suite Escape" has made it back to California without damaging anything or anyone or being damaged! Having not really towed a trailer (except for about a 20 minute Escape trial), and never alone before, it was rather a tense experience for me. Mostly it was because I generally travel in the fast lane, and I am not used to being passed or sandwiched by humongous truck and trailer rigs. Additionally, lane changing to keep on the route was a concern. I also was concerned about the steep decent from the Siskiyou Pass, and whether I would overheat the brakes.
Between both Tammy and Reace, I spent a full day going over everything, running minor errands and hooking up, on Monday last when I got her. They were both very gracious and helpful and didn't seem to mind thousands of questions. (BTW a hole got drilled in the underside of my bumper near the tire bolts).
The RV park where Tammy made reservations was fine for me and Wolf. The only negative thing there for me was the "free" wifi. I couldn't connect inside, and only in the evening for a short while outside. There was a commercial service available, but since I paid for the space which was to include that, I opted out to pay more. The park was clean and well maintained, but I was surprised at the number of "permanent" residents. However, the area was beautiful, and I didn't hear traffic noises inside. Plus the easy accessibility was important to me.
The evening went well and the "Suite Escape" was cozy and warm. The next morning however was rather inauspicious: since it was cold (for me), I turned on the gas furnace for the first time. The fumes from the new heater (not gas) set off the smoke alarm and Wolf freaked out. I couldn't get the alarm to quit, even with the fan on, so I removed the battery. Then every time I tried to re connect it it would screech!!! Of course that upset him even further. I later learned that it will screech briefly upon battery replacement (something Tammy had told me but I had forgotten). Meantime I needed it warm in order to try out the shower, so I hooked up a little 1500 watt cube electric heater. That went OK for about 20 to 30 minutes (I think), then the breaker tripped and all the outlets were dead! I tried resetting the breaker, which at first was recalcitrant. I then got it flipped up and still no power to the outlets. I knew then for sure I was going to get pre-trip towing practice by going back to the factory, which I did. I later learned that nothing was wrong with the electrical, just that I had not flicked the switch down hard enough to reset it. Reace also suggested I use it at a lower fan speed to avoid a further incident. For the furnace situation: I unhooked the "Suite Escape", left her behind while I went to get av cords to connect the stereo to the tv, Reace turned on the heater with the doors and windows opened to "burn off" the new heater for about an hour, and hopefully that will be that. The battery alarm was replaced and I haven't tried the heater since, but expect that will do the trick.
I would recommend anyone who is new to towing, who needs to go down I-5 through the Seattle area take the I-405 by-pass. It is driver friendly as to signage. It also avoids numerous lane changes. For the most part people were courteous and let me make necessary changes easily. Around the Tacoma area the road was like a washboard for a bit and I felt like I was riding a bucking bronco even at low speed. I used lower gears 3rd and 4th mostly on the hills. On the Siskiyou decline, I went for a short way in 2nd, but mostly in 3rd. The "Suite Escape" did not sway at all and was not buffeted even when passed by those humongous trucks. In fact when I got to the flatlands and near home, it was hard to keep within the speed limit as she just breezed along seemingly effortlessly.
I have even managed to unhook the equalizer hitch all by myself and she now sits in front of my house until I manage to get her to DMV and make her legal. Everyone who has seen her thus far has been impressed by the quality and features.
My three local granddaughters (10, 5 and 31/2) were thrilled with her and can hardly wait to go camping. I think they think of her as a big playhouse, which in a way she is! They inspected everything. The middle one even wanted to use the potty! I am hoping to go to a nearby lake this coming weekend (if I can get reservations). At least I will be able to get a lot of local practice before I venture out on another 900 mile trip.

Old 06-22-2009, 03:23 PM   #26

You go Girl!! What a great re-cap of your trip!! Just wait a couple of more trips and you won't even think twice about "all those things you we're worried about".. I was amazed how quickly the concerns just fade away with each subsequent trip.. now it's just effortless..

Have a "blast-o-rama" and see you out on the trail..

favorite quote: "Put the candle back"
JeffZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 03:35 PM   #27

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Yay!!!!!!
Glad to hear you got some of the minor bugs figured out. It will continue to get easier for you all the way now.

After getting 6,000 km on mine in the first month, driving with it is already like slipping on a well used glove.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 05:07 PM   #28

Good going Sandra! As everyone has said, every time will be easier and easier.
Oh how I remember our grandchildren's first look, and they TOO wanted to use the potty! Isn't that a HOOT!
Have fun!
Old 06-22-2009, 05:13 PM   #29

Trailer: 17

boy what a trip report, thanks for taking the time to share it. When anyone sees you kicking back under the awning, with your feet up, they won't know that you really earned your escape. That first trip is one you will never forget thats for sure. Nice to hear you even got a drain hole for your super top secret water holder. Also nice to hear it towed so well without sway. Im sure all of us will have a bunch of questions for you later on but for now.... gocamp
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 07:02 PM   #30

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape

Glad to read your report...

Actually it was good that you camped near by and were able to get the few issues straightened out and proably feel more comfortable now knowing you have had a few nights in it.

We frequently take the by pass route through Seattle as the I5 is a pain near there..

Hope you get to go out to the lake this coming weekend. Enjoy all your new adventures...
Old 06-22-2009, 09:04 PM   #31

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA

Nice post, just remember
Rule #1 don't sweat the small stuff
Rule #2 its all small stuff....
The same thing happened to us with the furnace
and the stove... they both had to burn off, and set off the smoke detector
but thats OK the darn thing goes off when I make toast (dark toast)
Its amazing when your in from out of town how picking up the trailer,
running around, shopping etc. takes up a whole day.
Don't forget to post pictures......

Doug & Eileen
Old 06-22-2009, 09:18 PM   #32

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: Doug... I have that book by Richard Carlson PH. D. My daughter who is a Master of Councilling gave it to me for Christmas!!! It's now quite "Dog Eared". Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:30 PM   #33

Hi: Sandra... I'm glad it's not just us that have "A trial by fire". Have a great time burning off the rest of the bugs. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Old 06-22-2009, 10:18 PM   #34

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Alf, I remember seeing a book by him at a friends, it was something about not sweating the small stuff at golfing. Is that the book you mean?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 11:24 PM   #35

Hi: Jim... The book ***le is "DON"T SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF...and it's all small stuff Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie I've been bleeped ( word tight le). Maybe I should have said " The book JACKET". Isn't it great the computer can find a word inside a word!!!
Old 06-23-2009, 12:08 AM   #36

Weird. Seems Jeff has cranked up the anti-spam settings so high that the first three letters in "title" got starred out in the previous post.

Anyway, Sandra, I am glad that you are home safe. I am sure that it will get easier and easier to tow.

Ron

2009 17' Plan B
ronstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 04:13 PM   #37

Ooops... Yeah I did crank the anti-spam just a "tad" to tight.. let me dial it down a little..

favorite quote: "Put the candle back"
JeffZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 05:23 PM   #38

Thanks all for the support and encouragement. I needed that. I have had to hit the ground running, (I still work.) so more later.
Thanks again,
Sandra
Old 06-25-2009, 08:48 PM   #39

Hooray for you Sandra.
Sounds like it was super helpful to spend a day or two near Chilliwack to work out all the bugs wirh Tammy and Reace's help.
Poor Wolf. It must've been stressful for you to see him so upset.
Won't be long before you, Wolf, and your granddaughters will all be escape pros
Old 07-04-2009, 11:17 AM   #40

Here's some more pictures of the "Suite Escape". Note the exterior lights and they have inside switches on the fridge cabinet: one for the porch and another for the other 4.
Attached Thumbnails
Driver\'s side.jpg   Front view.jpg