Visuals of High Lift Axle on 2017 5.0 TA - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Visual Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-28-2017, 07:30 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Visuals of High Lift Axle on 2017 5.0 TA

Here are some photos of my 2017 5.0 TA which I ordered with the high lift axle option. With my truck's bed rails and tailgate at 56 inches, I was right at a height where I could have gone either with the high lift axle or not. I chose to go with it. The clearance between my truck's bed height and the bottom of the fifth wheel's loft area is more or less 6 inches. (Taken at Brandy Creek Boat Ramp parking lot of Whiskeytown Lake National Recreation Area, about 15 miles west of Redding, CA.

Just sharing for information purposes. Perhaps these pictures will help someone decide if they want to get the high lift axle option, or not, at least on the 5.0 TA:
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1890.jpg   IMG_1891.jpg   IMG_1892.jpg   IMG_1894.jpg  
Arthur John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 08:06 PM   #2

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Thanks for posting. Great looking rig.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 08:10 PM   #3

Trailer: 2018 5.0 T/A "Escaper"
Thanks for posting this, I have been pondering the options for the 5.0TA and wasn't sure what the purpose of the high lift axle was.

Do you know how much clearance the option adds, and is it standard or does it have a range of height it can come with?

Does this option improve the suspension?
akmacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 09:42 PM   #4

Thanks War Eagle and akmacs.

I was told by ETI that the high lift axle option would increase the height of my trailer by 2 1/2 inches, but don't know for sure if there's a range of height for the high lift option.

I believe the clearance distance is a combination of the height of the fifth wheel, the height of the truck's bed rails/tailgate and any adjustments (if needed) to the king pin and fifth wheel's hitch height. I have the Patriot 16K hitch which has a 4 inch range on the height of the hitch head plate.

Don't know that the high lift axle option improves the suspension, although I will say that the fifth wheel tows very nicely behind my truck. In general, the added weight of the Escape's payload in my bed does improve the truck's suspension in that it is a more solid feel back there when I'm driving. My truck came with the heavy duty payload option. Mind you, I had never towed any kind of trailer before picking up my Escape.
Old 10-28-2017, 10:22 PM   #5

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur John View Post
I was told by ETI that the high lift axle option would increase the height of my trailer by 2 1/2 inches, but don't know for sure if there's a range of height for the high lift option.
I don’t believe ETI messes with steeper start angles on the Dexter Torflex axles (any longer). The advantage of this method would be better ground clearance because everything is up higher including the axle tube. The disadvantage is a rougher ride. If I’m not mistaken the high lift is now simply the standard axle with the Dexter spacer lift kit (2-5/8”). Everything is raised except the axle tube clearance is unchanged. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong.

http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-...71-707-02.html
rubicon327 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 01:02 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
I don’t believe ETI messes with steeper start angles on the Dexter Torflex axles (any longer). The advantage of this method would be better ground clearance because everything is up higher including the axle tube. The disadvantage is a rougher ride. If I’m not mistaken the high lift is now simply the standard axle with the Dexter spacer lift kit (2-5/8”). Everything is raised except the axle tube clearance is unchanged. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong.

Unless you put on bigger tires NO lift kit will raise the axle clearance on any vehicle I know of.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 01:54 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post

You're right. In fact, the starting angle is achieved by parts built in to the axle, and can't be changed after it's built.

From the Dexter FAQ:
"TORFLEX - Can I change my Torflex start angle?
No, the different start angles are achieved with different components that can't be changed once the axle is built."

All the high lift option does is change the distance between the axle and the frame. Axle height remains unchanged.
Old 10-29-2017, 04:27 PM   #8

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19, 2010 Palomino Y series prior
Looks good.
Is that an HDPP truck? Don't see a lot of SCAB long box trucks around. Looks like an XL. Custom build/order?
Old 10-29-2017, 04:46 PM   #9

Thank you Wunfiddy - Yes, I got the Heavy Duty Payload Package as well as the Max Trailer Tow Package. I'd been looking for a 2016 F150 XL SuperCab with an 8 foot bed and finally found one at a dealership about 165 miles away from where I live. You are correct they are not easy to find. In fact, I was told by the dealership that the truck had been special ordered but the customer backed out by the time the truck arrived on their lot. Worked out good for me, although I'm thinking I probably should've gone with a 6 and half ft bed for less overall length and easier backing up. Originally had thought I'd get a regular travel trailer and even bought a Snug Top camper shell for the 8' bed. Sold the camper shell at a significant loss when I decided on getting the Escape fifth wheel.
Old 10-29-2017, 05:03 PM   #10

Location: In my Escape...full time. Currently in Maine, Maine
Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Interesting... So, guess I'm wondering just what the value of the high lift option is. Ground clearance is the same overall. Guess the FG pieces do get extra clearance though which could be beneficial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
You're right. In fact, the starting angle is achieved by parts built in to the axle, and can't be changed after it's built.

From the Dexter FAQ:
"TORFLEX - Can I change my Torflex start angle?
No, the different start angles are achieved with different components that can't be changed once the axle is built."

All the high lift option does is change the distance between the axle and the frame. Axle height remains unchanged.
CarlNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 05:55 PM   #11

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19, 2010 Palomino Y series prior
Quote:
Thank you Wunfiddy - Yes, I got the Heavy Duty Payload Package as well as the Max Trailer Tow Package. I'd been looking for a 2016 F150 XL SuperCab with an 8 foot bed and finally found one at a dealership about 165 miles away from where I live. You are correct they are not easy to find. In fact, I was told by the dealership that the truck had been special ordered but the customer backed out by the time the truck arrived on their lot. Worked out good for me, although I'm thinking I probably should've gone with a 6 and half ft bed for less overall length and easier backing up. Originally had thought I'd get a regular travel trailer and even bought a Snug Top camper shell for the 8' bed. Sold the camper shell at a significant loss when I decided on getting the Escape fifth wheel.
Canopies have brutal resale value. I always try to find used. On my ranger i had the exact model I wanted but in the wrong colour, because I got it like new used for less than half the price of new.
You have one of the unicorn F150s that actually has the advertised 11k # towing capacities. How do you find the 5.0 tows and handles?
Yeah wheelbase is killer long on that truck, but it should ride super smoooooooth.
Old 10-29-2017, 08:06 PM   #12

The towing capacity of my truck is 11,700 lbs which is overkill for the Escape. It has the 3.73 axle ratio. So far, in the 2,500 miles I've towed it, I'm getting a low of 13.5 miles per gallon in hills and mountains, and 14.5 to 15.5 mpg during flat land driving. Since this is the first time I've towed any kind of trailer I have nothing to compare it to but it certainly is a smooth towing experience.

I think the high lift axle will help avoid any possible scraping on the front or back of the trailer when driving from a downward sloping road onto a steep driveway.
Old 10-29-2017, 08:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian and Sue View Post
Unless you put on bigger tires NO lift kit will raise the axle clearance on any vehicle I know of.
Certainly true on most vehicles, but a torsion axle design can have a steeper start angle (up to 45 deg down) which does raise the axle tube clearance relative to the road. Of course you still have the levers or torsions arms as they are called that go down to the wheel hub/spindle on each side that still won’t have greater clearance without bigger tires.
Old 10-29-2017, 08:39 PM   #14

Quote:
I think the high lift axle will help avoid any possible scraping on the front or back of the trailer when driving from a downward sloping road onto a steep driveway.
Will certainly improve the approach and departure angles. It also raises up the tank dump valves a couple of inches. That can be helpful at times.