17B on youtube - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Documents & Helpful Instructions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2020, 02:11 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B
17B on youtube

Camping in NJ over Labor Day in US, I was approached by New Jersey Outdoor Adventures to to a tour if my 2015 17B. I tried to be accurate, thorough and informative. I hope I hit my marks:

https://youtu.be/7rzmVGuR0bY
EscapingBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 02:20 PM   #2

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
David: Turkey Swamp Park in NJ! Was there a few years ago with my fathers Scamp. While we were there we ran into another Scamp owner. Link wasn't active so I attached it again below (on edit...now the link is active in post #1)

Old 09-09-2020, 06:49 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Dave, I have never seen a better trailer tour. Great stuff.
Old 09-09-2020, 10:39 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15B sold, 2019 Escape 19
Great presentation Dave, excellent resource for anyone considering a camping trailer
Effie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 12:14 AM   #5

Trailer: I don’t have one yet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapingBuffalo View Post
Camping in NJ over Labor Day in US, I was approached by New Jersey Outdoor Adventures to to a tour if my 2015 17B. I tried to be accurate, thorough and informative. I hope I hit my marks:

I just watched it a couple of hours ago. It was a great video - good job with the tour!
eschee007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 07:01 AM   #6

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Turkey Swamp Park - the land of the 100’ hose. Water post is shared between sites and I saw some REALLY long runs. I wouldn’t have had enough if I didn’t read reviews ahead of time. No sewer - real easy to fill the gray tank! Otherwise great county run camping - rare in NJ which is mostly state run or private. Just watch for deer ticks. Seemed to be an over abundance of them when I was there.
Old 09-10-2020, 09:06 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:

Hi: EscapingBuffalo... Great vid. Sorry about border crossing closure. No trailer tours this year at Niagara Wine Escape except other campers by mutual consent!!! I used to get in trouble for keeping my hands in my pocket... and now we have to wear a mask at the bank. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 09:22 AM   #8

Thanks for fixing the link and checking out the video!
Old 09-10-2020, 09:23 AM   #9

Thanks!
Old 09-10-2020, 09:23 AM   #10

Thank you effie!
Old 09-10-2020, 09:24 AM   #11

Thanks so much !
Old 09-10-2020, 09:28 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Turkey Swamp Park - the land of the 100’ hose. Water post is shared between sites and I saw some REALLY long runs. I wouldn’t have had enough if I didn’t read reviews ahead of time. No sewer - real easy to fill the gray tank! Otherwise great county run camping - rare in NJ which is mostly state run or private. Just watch for deer ticks. Seemed to be an over abundance of them when I was there.
I needed 80 feet of water hose! The ranger tipped me off when I made the reservation. I also found 4 ticks by I started bathing in deet! Otherwise we really enjoyed our stay. Thanks rubicon327!
Old 09-10-2020, 09:34 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: EscapingBuffalo... Great vid. Sorry about border crossing closure. No trailer tours this year at Niagara Wine Escape except other campers by mutual consent!!! I used to get in trouble for keeping my hands in my pocket... and now we have to wear a mask at the bank. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Alf, I hate that I can't attend the Niagara Wine Rally this year, especially since it's 20 miles from me! Always a wonderful event! Enjoy and be safe.
Dave
Old 09-10-2020, 09:35 AM   #14

Trailer: 2010 Escape 17B
Great video David. Interesting to see the differences between my 2010 17B and your 2015 model. Also, nice to see your mods. I agree, there is more storage than I have things to fill it with!
flynfrfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 09:52 AM   #15

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Great video

Quote:

Great video showing off the 17. I am curious about how towing has been with the frontier. We have a 19 on order and plan to tow with a pro4x. Any thoughts or wisdoms you can share about the frontier appreciated! Cliff
Clkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 01:57 PM   #16

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
Hello, Clkr. I also tow with a Frontier, so maybe my comments can add to your knowledge base.

My tow is a 2017 King Cab 4x4 V-6 with automatic tranny. I have added a supplemental tranny cooler and an air bag suspension in the rear for leveling and stabilization. Both were inexpensive and easy to install. The truck works very well as a tow vehicle, with adequate power even on steep grades and high elevations. I would not call the power abundant, but I'm not interested in going anywhere in a hurry when I'm on vacation, anyway. The most common complaint regarding Frontiers is that the turning circle is rather large, making some backing maneuvers a bit difficult--but still easier than with the long bed 4 door pickups that are now so common.

My Escape 19 is a 2009 model, so it is rather lighter than your new one will be. Loaded with full propane tanks and all our "essentials," (what is essential is a topic for another discussion) the trailer weighs in at about 3,500 lbs. on a certified truck scale, with a tongue weight of between 370 and 420 lbs. Black and grey water tanks are in front of the axles, so they add to the tongue weight as they fill, but the fresh water tank is at the back of the trailer and we only fill it at our last stop prior to heading out to the boonies or when we arrive at a site with shore services, and drain it before leaving. We carry a tongue scale and weigh the tongue weight for every trip.

If you are not a "too much power is not enough power" kind of guy, I think you will be happy with your Frontier as a tow vehicle so long as it fulfills your other needs, whatever those may be.
Old 09-10-2020, 09:43 PM   #17

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Johnson View Post
Hello, Clkr. I also tow with a Frontier, so maybe my comments can add to your knowledge base.

My tow is a 2017 King Cab 4x4 V-6 with automatic tranny. I have added a supplemental tranny cooler and an air bag suspension in the rear for leveling and stabilization. Both were inexpensive and easy to install. The truck works very well as a tow vehicle, with adequate power even on steep grades and high elevations. I would not call the power abundant, but I'm not interested in going anywhere in a hurry when I'm on vacation, anyway. The most common complaint regarding Frontiers is that the turning circle is rather large, making some backing maneuvers a bit difficult--but still easier than with the long bed 4 door pickups that are now so common.

My Escape 19 is a 2009 model, so it is rather lighter than your new one will be. Loaded with full propane tanks and all our "essentials," (what is essential is a topic for another discussion) the trailer weighs in at about 3,500 lbs. on a certified truck scale, with a tongue weight of between 370 and 420 lbs. Black and grey water tanks are in front of the axles, so they add to the tongue weight as they fill, but the fresh water tank is at the back of the trailer and we only fill it at our last stop prior to heading out to the boonies or when we arrive at a site with shore services, and drain it before leaving. We carry a tongue scale and weigh the tongue weight for every trip.

If you are not a "too much power is not enough power" kind of guy, I think you will be happy with your Frontier as a tow vehicle so long as it fulfills your other needs, whatever those may be.
Thanks for your insight George! We don’t plan to tow more than 2-300 miles from home on a given trip and I am definitely not concerned with the whole power thing for now. My biggest concern is payload and tongue wt but based on your numbers shouldn’t be a problem! Do you use a WDH or do you find the air bags to be sufficient? I have read elsewhere that some folk replace the Frontier stock springs with sumo. I might check into the aux cooler as well. Happy Travels. Cliff
Clkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 10:16 PM   #18

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
Cliff, I have used WDH (came with the trailer) and found the ride to be rough. The ride with the air bags is smoother. There is debate about this on the forum. Several sources say the you should not use both at the same time. Not using the WDH saves me 50 lbs of truck bed payload, and I've had no stability or sway problems. As I've noted, I am careful to make sure I have the correct amount of tongue weight, and I suspect a WDH may be more forgiving of unbalanced load distribution, but I don't intend to find that out from experience!
Old 09-04-2021, 02:00 PM   #19

Trailer: 2023 Escape 17b (deposit)
Quote:

Lol, this is the tour that made me start thinking about getting an Escape over a Casita. I'm also a photographer, and there were a couple of things you pointed out directly that I hadn't "seen" before, like how nice it would be to have a spot to easily store the tripod without having to cram it under a bed or rig-up something in a closet.

Thanks for helping me make a better choice, it really was a great tour.
Slipshod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 07:38 PM   #20

Trailer: 2012 E19
I would like to know where to source those plastic things that secure the cupboard doors. Haven't seen that type before, and they look like they work very well.

Tags
17b, tour, youtube