19’ Inside Cargo Space Questions - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Documents & Helpful Instructions
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-09-2009, 08:25 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
19’ Inside Cargo Space Questions

I have looked at photos and floor plans but there are some storage areas on the 19 that just do not show up in detail.

Wardrobe – from as near as I can tell it is about 18” wide. I do not have any idea of height. What is inside? A clothes bar? Shelves? Is there a way to have both?

Dinette Storage – I assume you access it from the top with a lid arrangement. Is it all available or is some used for mechanicals? I thought I have read of a mod with a door added inside for access. What about an outside hatch door? Anyone done that or feel it would be useful?

Queen Bed Storage – is this one big space and connected with the outside hatch door and inside doors? Is the entire area available or is this the “mechanical room”. If it is not all available, how much is? How high is that area? Those doors under the Queen, do they fully open to the floor? In other words if I wanted to slide a storage box will it go in or is there a lip to clear?

I guess these are some fairly technical questions or specifications, best done here on the forum or with Escape directly?
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 02:25 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Re: 19’ Inside Cargo Space Questions

The wardrobe is 14" wide and 44" high with just a rod inside. There is really not enough height for a shelf if you want to hang things. What we do is use a 6" deep basket that just sits on the bottom under the hanging clothes. The wardrobe is relatively small, but there is plenty of other storage space for clothes, and we only hang just what needs to be hung. We use a set of hooks over the bathroom door, and some levered suction hooks on the outside under the awning (which work great for drying things too).

I had Reace install a door on the side of the dinette bench right at the door, this is where we keep some shoes. I added a shelf in there too. The batteries are house in that bench as well. On the other side access is only from lifting the lid on the seat. I have contemplated putting an exterior hatch there too.

Most of the space under the bed is for storage, and you can put lots of stuff under there. It is accessed from doors in front of it, lifting a lid under the mattress, or from an exterior hatch. The only mechanical takes up most of the driver side about 18" wide. The water heater, water pump and AC cord go in there. I had two doors installed that left one big opening right down to the floor with both open. We use a couple of laundry baskets for access to things immediately insdie.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 07:46 PM   #3
4of3

Jim
On the trailers we have looked at, there are 2 access doors inside to access the space under the queen bed. Did you do something a bit different? I like the idea for the door to the "shoe cabinet". Something we are going to take advantage of.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:47 PM   #4

I have two doors as well, opening to one big access.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-10-2009, 07:24 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014

I have only been able to find a single photo of the doors under the queen bed, this photo was from the original unit at the trade show in March. At that time there were dual doors with a post in the middle of them and what appears to be a lip that you must overcome to put something into the cargo area. Jim, from your description I believe you have dual doors without the post and in describing your laundry basket storage probably no lip. Is this now standard?

With the door you added to the front dinnette (passenger side) which way does it swing? What size is the door?

I am contemplating an outside hatch on the front dinnette (driver side). I always want things available outside but yet protected from the elements. I could see wheel chocks, front wheel, blocks and a myriad of other things finding a home in either hatch area. Cost will be another factor.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:50 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: fudge_brownie... There is always the pic. of the floor plan on Escapes web site. The center space between the doors could be an important strength post for the edge of the bed. The doors seem to go down to the floor so things should slide in... but I am assuming here!!!
Sounds like more searching and pic's are required. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:04 PM   #7

All the doors described we asked for as an extra, they are not standard. You can have the doors swing any way you prefer, we had the dinette on left handed.