Adjusting pitch for Electric Awning - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Documents & Helpful Instructions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2021, 10:46 AM   #1

Trailer: 2022 Escape 5.0 TA currently in "The Build Queue"
Adjusting pitch for Electric Awning

Good morning from Ontario.

After two years of saving and researching we have finally placed a deposit for a 5.0 TA!

Now comes the tough part ... Deciding what options to choose for our build.

We have pulled an older fifth wheel with a manual awning for many years and are seriously considering breaking away from our comfort zone by choosing the Dometic 9500E awning. It seems, to us anyway, that the Escape's fiberglass mould was specifically designed to 'fit' with this awning.

We've read the pros and cons about awning choices on this forum and understand that the debate can go on and on about electric vs manual awnings and these considerations will likely haunt us until we put pen to paper on our build sheet.

So, I'm just going to stick to one question for now:

The Dometic 9500E installation manual indicates that the factory setting is set to a 5 degree pitch but the awning can be adjusted up to a 15 degree pitch. From the photos I've seen on the Escape Industries website, it appears that they are sticking to the factory setting of 5 degrees ... Has anyone adjusted the pitch on their Dometic 9500E cassette awning? And if so, what is the maximum setting possible for proper door clearance on the 5.0TA.

I'd appreciate any insight about this.

Thanks,
Laurie
LaurieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 12:10 PM   #2

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurieB View Post
... we have finally placed a deposit for a 5.0 TA! ... It seems, to us anyway, that the Escape's fiberglass mould was specifically designed to 'fit' with this [power] awning.
While all of the current Escape bumper-pull models do have a recess in the mould tailored for the power awning option, please note that the 5.0 does not. Due to its higher and sloping roof line both the manual awning and the power awning option are simply surface-mounted to the flat vertical side of the 5.0 trailer. Attached are some build-pics to illustrate, the first two being the same trailer with the power awning.

Just FYI in case that bears on your decision.

Congrats on the order and Have Fun with the configuration process!
Attached Thumbnails
Build 14.jpg   Build 19.jpg   another 2021 5.0 13.jpg  
Old 06-06-2021, 01:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
While all of the current Escape bumper-pull models do have a recess in the mould tailored for the power awning option, please note that the 5.0 does not. Due to its higher and sloping roof line both the manual awning and the power awning option are simply surface-mounted to the flat vertical side of the 5.0 trailer. Attached are some build-pics to illustrate, the first two being the same trailer with the power awning.

Just FYI in case that bears on your decision.

Congrats on the order and Have Fun with the configuration process!
I actually did forget that the 5.0TA has a straight wall above the door.
That may very well have some influence on our final decision, especially once my husband sees your pictures. Most of the images of newer 5.0s we've been able to find have the electric awnings. It's nice to see both options for comparison.
Thank you Centex!
Old 06-06-2021, 01:54 PM   #4

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Smile

No worries, another FYI:

I found the forum's build-pic thread "It's Friday! - 2017 and beyond!" to be a cornucopia of useful insights and inspiration during my months after deposit leading to final configuration (downloaded tons of pics like those above for easy continued review as I learned more and my thinking evolved along the way)

Have Fun!
Old 06-06-2021, 03:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
No worries, another FYI:

I found the forum's build-pic thread "It's Friday! - 2017 and beyond!" to be a cornucopia of useful insights and inspiration during my months after deposit leading to final configuration (downloaded tons of pics like those above for easy continued review as I learned more and my thinking evolved along the way)

Have Fun!
That's awesome! Thanks again.
Old 07-04-2021, 07:31 AM   #6

Trailer: 2021 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurieB View Post
Good morning from Ontario.

After two years of saving and researching we have finally placed a deposit for a 5.0 TA!

Now comes the tough part ... Deciding what options to choose for our build.

We have pulled an older fifth wheel with a manual awning for many years and are seriously considering breaking away from our comfort zone by choosing the Dometic 9500E awning. It seems, to us anyway, that the Escape's fiberglass mould was specifically designed to 'fit' with this awning.

We've read the pros and cons about awning choices on this forum and understand that the debate can go on and on about electric vs manual awnings and these considerations will likely haunt us until we put pen to paper on our build sheet.

So, I'm just going to stick to one question for now:

The Dometic 9500E installation manual indicates that the factory setting is set to a 5 degree pitch but the awning can be adjusted up to a 15 degree pitch. From the photos I've seen on the Escape Industries website, it appears that they are sticking to the factory setting of 5 degrees ... Has anyone adjusted the pitch on their Dometic 9500E cassette awning? And if so, what is the maximum setting possible for proper door clearance on the 5.0TA.

I'd appreciate any insight about this.

Thanks,
Laurie
I noticed this thread and thought that may be something I want to do. We are waiting on our 21C Build and after having owned two manual awnings in the past have decided the electric is for us.
I was hoping to maybe revive this a bit and see if anyone had thoughts on the OP's original question. Can the awning be tilted after install to the 15 degrees and has it been done?

Thanks
Ryanb-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 08:47 AM   #7

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanb-72 View Post
I noticed this thread and thought that may be something I want to do. We are waiting on our 21C Build and after having owned two manual awnings in the past have decided the electric is for us.
I was hoping to maybe revive this a bit and see if anyone had thoughts on the OP's original question. Can the awning be tilted after install to the 15 degrees and has it been done?

Thanks
Ryan: Don’t have this awning but the manual gives some guidance on door clearance at 5 and 15 degree angles. From the picture of the awning mounting location on a 21C you might have some minor room for adjustment but I doubt you can get to a full 15 degrees. Also I wonder if this impacts how it will return into the cassette. Some have had trouble with this even at the stock angle and Escape has added guides at each end to help which you can see in the photo.

It sounds like you have your mind made up but if you want the ultimate in adjustability it is hard to beat the manual Carefree Fiesta awning.
Attached Thumbnails
52C9A499-2E84-4901-B0A0-D4D5CF434C7C.jpg   1F4D57BC-1913-4992-B29E-4CD74C852C4B.jpeg  
Old 07-04-2021, 09:11 AM   #8

Trailer: 2021 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Ryan: Don’t have this awning but the manual gives some guidance on door clearance at 5 and 15 degree angles. From the picture of the awning mounting location on a 21C you might have some minor room for adjustment but I doubt you can get to a full 15 degrees. Also I wonder if this impacts how it will return into the cassette. Some have had trouble with this even at the stock angle and Escape has added guides at each end to help which you can see in the photo.

It sounds like you have your mind made up but if you want the ultimate in adjustability it is hard to beat the manual Carefree Fiesta awning.
Thanks for the pictures!

Yes our mind is made up..... Although I do agree the adjustability of the manual awning is hard to beat. After dealing with one for many years the thought of turning in retracting the awning with the push off the button is super appealing.

We had a neighbor camper one trip parked next to us with the identical camper. We both had our awnings out enjoying the afternoon. Then the wind picked up!! My wife and I quickly struggled to get our manual awning in. Our neighbor unfortunately was not so successful before we could get over to help has awning had snapped and was blown over the top of his trailer! The wind came out of nowhere and could not have been predicted. Had we not been sitting right there and been able to quickly react ours would have been in the same ruined predicament.

Just the thought of quickly and easily retracting the awning for us was all the convincing we needed.

Ryan
Ryanb-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 10:17 AM   #9

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Loose automatic awning arm

2018 Escape 19 - My awning deploys and retracts smoothly and closes tightly. However the side closest to the front of the coach hangs lower than the other side, interfering with the open door during operation and the fabric touches it when fully extended. There looks to be a 1/4 inch steel cable within the awning arm. Is there a way to adjust that cable, or is that even the problem?
Evening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 12:27 PM   #10

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evening View Post
2018 Escape 19 - My awning deploys and retracts smoothly and closes tightly. However the side closest to the front of the coach hangs lower than the other side, interfering with the open door during operation and the fabric touches it when fully extended. There looks to be a 1/4 inch steel cable within the awning arm. Is there a way to adjust that cable, or is that even the problem?
If this is a problem, it has a very simple solution. Close the door when operating the awning. I do this from the outside with the remote. KISS!
Old 07-04-2021, 01:52 PM   #11

Red face Thank you, RangerMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerMan View Post
If this is a problem, it has a very simple solution. Close the door when operating the awning. I do this from the outside with the remote. KISS!
Thank you for the KISS solution. I have done that, but figured it was time to actually fix the problem. It may be causing unequal stress on the supporting arms.
Old 07-04-2021, 02:23 PM   #12

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
Awning

We have a 2016 E21 with the electric awning the door side (front) sags down further then the rear section a few degrees is there a way to make then equal ?
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 03:00 PM   #13

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evening View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennykatz View Post
We have a 2016 E21 with the electric awning the door side (front) sags down further then the rear section a few degrees is there a way to make then equal ?
Not sure if this video with help either of you. Apparently there are two versions of the electric awning out there which creates even more confusion.
Old 07-05-2021, 10:05 AM   #14

Thank you, Rubicon327, I will start by taking all the measurements, then see what I can do.
Old 07-05-2021, 01:28 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
What ever you do in changing the pitch, be ready to lift the awning as it closes with the trailer in case the guides hit below the piece Escape adds to guide it in. I have had to replace 2 of the awning ends due to it missing the guides before I adjusted it to raise the pitch. This was after replacing the original guides with the longer ones Escape sent...