Crossing the border to Canada..... - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Documents & Helpful Instructions
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-19-2022, 12:59 AM   #21

Trailer: 2024 Escape 23 on order, 2022 RAM 1500 5.7L Laramie
After our mid November 2021 pickup in Sumas got derailed by the floods, we circled back and went up into Alberta through Montana.

As we were talking to the Canadian border official, I thought I heard him ask me if we had any Canada products. I replied, “Nope, sitting here talking to you is the closest I have been to a Canada product in decades”.

He said, “I asked if you had any cannabis products”.

He selected us for a random COVID test.
bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 08:04 AM   #22

Trailer: 2016/ 5TA Spirit Bear
Crossed the border into Canada a week ago with our 5 TA. Used the Arrive Canada App. Sailed right through.Took 2 minutes.
Mark James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 08:31 AM   #23

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19'er + 2018 Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
Is it legal to bring Bear Spray from the US into Canada?

I have heard some conflicting information about this. Evidently, Pepper Spray is forbidden, but some people say if the spray container is clearly marked as Bear Spray, then it might be OK..... even though chemically it is a lot like Pepper Spray.

Any first-hand experiences with this at the border?

- Bea
When we crossed into Canada from the USA in 2019, bear spray was fine. Mace was not.
EscapeBoulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 09:02 AM   #24

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
I just talked to friends who were going through to Alaska. I asked them if the needed proof of Covid vaccination. They said No.

But had to have a Negative test with in 48 hours of crossing at Blaine.

Any one confirm that?
When you register with ArriveCAN you have to upload a picture of your passport and covid vaccination card. Border guards have all the docs needed on line so no you don't have to produce a hard copy but make sure you have them just in case. As long as you are fully vaccinated you don't have to get a covid test to cross but make sure you review the requirements again before you cross as they might change with the increase of new Covid cases.
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 10:38 AM   #25

Trailer: 17b
Have crossed many times into Canada with bear spray and was always told it was fine.
Escape While You Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 02:17 PM   #26
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeBoulder View Post
When we crossed into Canada from the USA in 2019, bear spray was fine. Mace was not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape While You Can View Post
Have crossed many times into Canada with bear spray and was always told it was fine.
Thank you Greg and Escape While you Can. Someone told us they would take our bear spray at the border but decided to bring it and declare it and hope for the best. Thanks! -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 02:20 PM   #27

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
Is it legal to bring Bear Spray from the US into Canada?

I have heard some conflicting information about this. Evidently, Pepper Spray is forbidden, but some people say if the spray container is clearly marked as Bear Spray, then it might be OK..... even though chemically it is a lot like Pepper Spray.

Any first-hand experiences with this at the border?

- Bea
Canadian Customs will allow the importations of U. S. Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA) approved bear spray into Canada. Bear repellants, are not considered prohibited in Canada but the specifications state that bear spray must have USEPA on the label.

Shouldn't be a problem as long as you tell them you have it and it is clearly marked as Bear Spray or repellent. Agreed that mace or pepper spray would be a no-no.
JeffinBC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 03:42 PM   #28
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffinBC View Post
Canadian Customs will allow the importations of U. S. Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA) approved bear spray into Canada. Bear repellants, are not considered prohibited in Canada but the specifications state that bear spray must have USEPA on the label.

Shouldn't be a problem as long as you tell them you have it and it is clearly marked as Bear Spray or repellent. Agreed that mace or pepper spray would be a no-no.
Thanks!
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 07:29 PM   #29

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
We will be crossing on Saturday, will report back our experience....
Old 05-19-2022, 10:27 PM   #30

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffinBC View Post

I'm not sure that there's any reason to declare bear spray or anything else that's legal.

Just answer the questions they ask honestly.

Ron
Ron in BC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 12:01 AM   #31

Trailer: 2020 17B
Avian Flu - Chicken & Eggs Banned

We are Canadians and went into WA state yesterday to do some shopping. When returning to Canada the Officer at the port of entry asked if we had chicken or eggs with us, as they are currently banned from entry into Canada due to the risk of Avian flu. So likely best to not try to cross with chicken or eggs or they will likely be taken from you.
BC_Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 11:41 AM   #32

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC_Camper View Post
We are Canadians and went into WA state yesterday to do some shopping. When returning to Canada the Officer at the port of entry asked if we had chicken or eggs with us, as they are currently banned from entry into Canada due to the risk of Avian flu. So likely best to not try to cross with chicken or eggs or they will likely be taken from you.
We crossed from the Yukon to Alaska and back a couple of times within two weeks. Eggs were OK. We crossed back into the Yukon a week later. Eggs weren't OK. They put them in a freezer. What happens to them I asked. Oh they go back into Alaska.

Yes, the rules do change. Best to check really currant info, not what was OK last year.

Ron
Ron in BC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 12:17 PM   #33

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
New rules as of today
Attached Thumbnails
04CE51FC-A1B8-494A-B377-83A3654A237B.jpg  
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 12:53 PM   #34

Trailer: 2024 Escape 23 on order, 2022 RAM 1500 5.7L Laramie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
We crossed from the Yukon to Alaska and back a couple of times within two weeks. Eggs were OK. We crossed back into the Yukon a week later. Eggs weren't OK. They put them in a freezer. What happens to them I asked. Oh they go back into Alaska.

Yes, the rules do change. Best to check really currant info, not what was OK last year.

Ron
Which came first?
bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 01:25 PM   #35

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
The border agents usually give my wife a big smile and say, “welcome home” when they see her Canadian passport.

I like bikes!
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 02:02 PM   #36

Trailer: 2016 21 Escape "Wishbone", 2017 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by bborzell View Post
Which came first?
More to the point.
Q: Why did the chicken cross the road?
A: To prove to the possum and the armadillo it could be done.
Old 05-20-2022, 02:32 PM   #37

Trailer: 2022 Lynne's Escape19 TV GMC 1500 4x4 Diesel/
I crossed the border once to twice a week for five years. They will always ask the following questions what is the reason for your visit to Canada today, how long will you be here. Do you have anything in the vehicle you will be leaving in Canada. You have any firearms or ammunition in your vehicle are you bringing any drugs or alcohol? Many times they will engage in conversation I have always been honest and truthful I have always checked my car out to make I had inadvertently left something in it. I never was sent to secondary . I was bringing a cake for a friend of mine's birthday I bought it at Cosco. I informed him that I had a cake sitting in the passenger seat for friend of mine's birthday. He looked at me and smiled and said I'm glad you're not bringing anything into Canada. He handed me my passport and said have a good birthday party.
Craiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 07:34 PM   #38

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.D.S. View Post
... His response was "the sliced ones are ok, but the whole ones weren't". Still can't understand why, and for that matter why he didn't allow us to cut them all in half and keep them!
A guess:
The concern with importing fruit is that it might contain pests or diseases which could affect crops in the destination county. Whole tomatoes could contain anything; when you slice tomatoes you would presumably discard any that had visible bugs or diseased parts. And no border agent is likely to stand around waiting and holding up the line while someone prepares the material that they are wanting to import.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 10:03 PM   #39

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC_Camper View Post
Just a heads up for the American visitors to the rally. If you buy eggs or chicken in Canada don't try to take them back to the US. We found out yesterday that the ban works both ways. Crossed at our town into the US as we're taking hwy 2 into ID then to BC, had five eggs we planned to eat during our three days here but they were confiscated. We have chicken too but it's cooked.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 11:08 AM   #40

Trailer: 2020 E21C
"You don't want to cross the Customs and Border Protection folks!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie"

And you don't want to find that out the hard way! Flying corporate folks back and forth we the aircrew would always arrange arrivals through CANPASS and usually receive a telephone release upon arrival. On one trip our passengers took it upon themselves to arrange their own arrival through regular Canadian customs which means an in person customs inspection and release, but did not inform the crew. We landed Regina, got our CANPASS release by phone as usual and took off towards Moose Jaw, our final destination. Regular Canadian customs folks had air traffic control turn us around back to Regina where for about two hours we the crew were in deep trouble till it got sorted out. CANPASS and regular Canadian customs folks don't speak to each other. Our passengers got their hands slapped and we received an apology from the regular Canadian customs folks. - John
JohnK is offline   Reply With Quote