Crossing the border to Canada..... - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Documents & Helpful Instructions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2022, 10:13 AM   #41

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Yesterday's Osoyoos border crossing

We crossed the border into Canada yesterday at Osoyoos. There was only one checkpoint open making the wait close to an hour. You are asked to wear masks as you approach the crossing booth.
We were asked for our passports, but the ArriveCAN QR code was not necessary. The officer said it came up automatically on his computer. He only asked about guns, weapons, our cat and alcohol.

We had written up 3 pages of things to declare including all the food, wood, medicines, soil, animals and alcohol in the trailer. I had also unlocked all the hatches to both the trailer and truck bed. However none of that was necessary and we were finished in under 5 minutes. It's great to be up in Osoyoos! Last time we were here was 2018.
Old 05-25-2022, 11:12 AM   #42

Trailer: Escape Trailer 21NE 2022
I just did four border crossings to pick up my 21ne traveling from Alaska to Sumas and back through. It was fast and easy. I made sure my brother and I had all our shots and docs. What the border agents want is for you to fill out ArriveCan ahead of time and be ready. We were. All they asked for was our passports. Answer half a dozen routine questions and we were through.
chesaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 01:04 PM   #43

Trailer: 2021 Escape 21NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
There seems to be a whole new set of rules to follow in crossing the border into Canada, we have been updating for the past hour our records. Just a heads up...
Make sure you get ArriveCAN app and fill it out before approaching the Sumas border. You will not be let in without it.
Pasi in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 10:54 PM   #44

Trailer: 2024 Escape 23 on order, 2022 RAM 1500 5.7L Laramie
We diligently filled out all Covid info in the ArriveCan app 24 hours before crossing. I confirmed that we had digital copies of both our 1 and 2 Moderna shots and our 2 boosters.

When we got to the border, the agent asked when we were last in Canada. I told him last November. He said, “Yes, that is what I see here and I only see evidence of one shot”.

Actually, we crossed in November with evidence of both shots and negative molecular tests. He didn’t want to see our ArriveCan graphic code. He just asked for digital (or paper) evidence of our shot history. I showed him all four cards (2 for me and 2 for my wife) and he said, “OK”. He couldn’t figure out why the app info was not complete. Bring backup.

He asked if we had watercraft (we had folding kayaks) so we got to hang a right into the aquatic inspection station where we pulled out one kayak, unfolded it and got it checked out. They were so excited by the kayaks, they asked to take pictures of it for their Facebook page.

Then we were on our way.
bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 11:36 PM   #45

Trailer: 2021 21c
Fill out the ArriveCAN app and if you’re fully vaccinated it’s apiece of cake,!
We breezed thru in minutes. Way less hassle than it was in 2020 when the virus was young.
Akfishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 10:52 AM   #46

Trailer: 2021 5.0 TA
We had a million and one questions from the US border guard coming back from Canada today.
And it was simple going to canada.
Old 01-18-2023, 05:31 PM   #47
Wig

Trailer: 2022 21C
Crossing the border, my 2 cents

Went to inspect my 21 C today at Escape. I’ve been reading the posts regarding crossing the border. My feeling from what I’ve read was that it was easy to get into Canada and potentially harder when you returned to the states. My experience was just the opposite. I was directed to a bay and instructed to go inside and speak to an agent. I was told they were going to inspect my vehicle and have a seat in the waiting room. After approximately 45 mins the agent came back and noted two things; 1,I had a piece of wood in the bed of the truck and that it went into the agricultural bin (no problem, I used it as a wedge so things wouldn’t roll around). 2, Quote “ We couldn’t put things back together in the Tetris way you had things packed”.They left things askew with bins open and things removed, tonneau cover open and lift gate down. It was a good thing they left the lift gate down because when I closed it I noticed one of my sleeping bags under the truck. I realize they are doing their job but at least make a minimal effort to put things back together. Well tomorrow I’ll be at Bobs Burgers at 10 a.m. with bells on my toes and we’ll let the good times roll.
Note: I was told by the agent that they no longer use ArriveCAN.
Wig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 06:10 PM   #48

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wig View Post
Went to inspect my 21 C today at Escape. I’ve been reading the posts regarding crossing the border. My feeling from what I’ve read was that it was easy to get into Canada and potentially harder when you returned to the states. My experience was just the opposite. I was directed to a bay and instructed to go inside and speak to an agent. I was told they were going to inspect my vehicle and have a seat in the waiting room. After approximately 45 mins the agent came back and noted two things; 1,I had a piece of wood in the bed of the truck and that it went into the agricultural bin (no problem, I used it as a wedge so things wouldn’t roll around). 2, Quote “ We couldn’t put things back together in the Tetris way you had things packed”.They left things askew with bins open and things removed, tonneau cover open and lift gate down. It was a good thing they left the lift gate down because when I closed it I noticed one of my sleeping bags under the truck. I realize they are doing their job but at least make a minimal effort to put things back together. Well tomorrow I’ll be at Bobs Burgers at 10 a.m. with bells on my toes and we’ll let the good times roll.
Note: I was told by the agent that they no longer use ArriveCAN.
It is unusual having an intense search going into Canada but I'm sure they have a number system like the US. You where number ? Since the last search. Feel a little better they actually took out my friends car seats and left them beside the car for him to get back in.
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 06:39 PM   #49
Wig

Hi Diannel,
I’m not really that upset. I’m not returning to Connecticut until mid-April. The truck was packed to the hilt and I consider unloading it but was such a bear packing it I figured I’d take my chances. I guess it was like you said my number just came up, wish that would happen when I play the lottery. ��
Old 01-18-2023, 07:14 PM   #50

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
... 1,I had a piece of wood in the bed of the truck and that it went into the agricultural bin ....
Just curious, was that a piece of 'raw wood as found in nature' (e.g. a tree limb) or a piece of 'lumber' (e.g. a 2x4)?

Thanks
Old 01-18-2023, 07:35 PM   #51
Wig

Crossing the border

It was actually a piece of firewood I used for a wedge. I understand the concern I forgot I even had it in there.
Old 01-18-2023, 08:37 PM   #52

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
It was actually a piece of firewood I used for a wedge. I understand the concern I forgot I even had it in there.

Gotchya, thanks!
Old 01-18-2023, 10:26 PM   #53

Trailer: 2022 E19
Sorry Justin.....NOT!

Too many flags/JT references for me.........
Attached Thumbnails
Sorry Ca..jpg  
7Gentex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 10:54 PM   #54

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Gentex View Post
I compromised
Attached Thumbnails
8E4BDA97-60CA-4339-BBF6-5082239D1F77.jpg  
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 09:13 AM   #55
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Wig, sorry you had that experience. Our crossing was easy peasy in both directions even with our dog. I do know how inconvenient a full vehicle search can be. I work on a military base and have had a couple of those over the past several years.

FWIW we went with the full on "made in B.C." decal and spare tire cover treatment. Definitely a conversation starter.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 11:09 AM   #56
Wig

Thanks, it’s just not what I expected. I thought if I were to have an issue it would be coming back to the states, but that was a breeze. That’s yesterday news, sitting in the parking lot of Bob’s Burgers & Brews waiting for the arrival of the Escape.
Old 01-19-2023, 03:30 PM   #57

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Gentex View Post
I've never felt the need to pry my Ford badge off.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 06:13 PM   #58

Trailer: 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I've never felt the need to pry my Ford badge off.

Ron
Last I looked, Ford was not a country.

Did your Ford come with a huge U.S. flag symbol on the back?

My "Escape" decals are still there except for the one on the front rock guard, though there are still a few too many (and too large) for my tastes.
7Gentex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 06:33 PM   #59

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
We chose no decals because they fade, peel, and ghost the fiberglass. We have the stock tire cover because I don’t mind people knowing the brand although they always ask anyway. I have no problem with them stating where it’s made. Most of my US and Japanese vehicles have parts from all over the place.
Old 01-19-2023, 06:45 PM   #60

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I “fly flags” in many forms as patches, pins, decals all the time. Whether it’s a maple leaf or the trillium flower hat pin given to me by a Canadian Trillium flower, the American flag on my jacket or Made in British Columbia tire cover, it’s what I like to do and so I do it.

I have a nice hand stitched Lewis and Clark flag made by some Girl Scouts and given to me about 50 years ago when I lived in the caretakers house at the Lewis and Clark Monument in Council Bluffs, Iowa. I get it out once in a while and it makes me smile.
To each his own.
Iowa Dave