Crossing the border to Canada..... - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Documents & Helpful Instructions
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-19-2023, 06:46 PM   #61

Trailer: 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
We chose no decals because they fade, peel, and ghost the fiberglass. We have the stock tire cover because I don’t mind people knowing the brand although they always ask anyway. I have no problem with them stating where it’s made. Most of my US and Japanese vehicles have parts from all over the place.
Agree on the decals........

Otherwise, I took an oath, and pledge often.

I don't fly flags / symbols of foreign countries...........

Just my standard
7Gentex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 09:02 PM   #62
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Good for you, 7Gentex. I respect that.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 09:29 PM   #63

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Gentex View Post
Agree on the decals........

Otherwise, I took an oath, and pledge often.

I don't fly flags / symbols of foreign countries...........

Just my standard
I ordered my trailer naked so completely white no decals. Of course it came with Escape tire cover which is kinda cool. I had a color combination I wanted and that was black and white which my trailer is now with black tire rims and black decals. The tire cover just didn't fit so I sent it to the couple in Indiana that bought my 19. I want my trailer to be a unique reflection of me, not a country whether it be US or Canada. I get more people asking the make of my trailer because it has no decals of its birth. I'm extremely proud to be a US citizen and also just as proud to be a citizen of Canada which is my birthplace.
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 07:46 AM   #64
Site Team

There are many products on the market that will help extend the life of decals. ProtectAll is one many folks use as well as simply waxing a couple of times a year. I'm a Meguire's guy myself since my days in a MG club while living in CA. At the end of the day though, no matter how much you take care of it, anything that is driven and exposed to elements is going to get a, ahem, patina. We managed the decal ghosting on our Rpod with Meguire's #67 Gelcoat and Fiberglass restorer (applied and removed with a buffer) followed by #7 Mirror Glaze. At the end of a long day, the Rpod finish looked better than new with decal ghosting only visible in a couple of locations and you really had to be looking for it.

We're glad to have all of the graphics on the 5.0 and soon they will tell the story of our travels.
Old 01-20-2023, 07:53 AM   #65

Trailer: 2012 E19
I have seen an Escape or two pictured on this forum that are all labeled up with Texas stickers and Texas whatnot. Definitely a turnoff, up north here in Oklahoma. Go Sooners, yada yada, whatever.
Just joshing.
Old 01-20-2023, 09:42 AM   #66

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageRpod View Post
There are many products on the market that will help extend the life of decals. ProtectAll is one many folks use as well as simply waxing a couple of times a year. I'm a Meguire's guy myself since my days in a MG club while living in CA. At the end of the day though, no matter how much you take care of it, anything that is driven and exposed to elements is going to get a, ahem, patina. We managed the decal ghosting on our Rpod with Meguire's #67 Gelcoat and Fiberglass restorer (applied and removed with a buffer) followed by #7 Mirror Glaze. At the end of a long day, the Rpod finish looked better than new with decal ghosting only visible in a couple of locations and you really had to be looking for it.

We're glad to have all of the graphics on the 5.0 and soon they will tell the story of our travels.
I agree you can do this, or skip the decals, time and money and go traveling. It’s been so cold to wash our trailer is filthy, but we are leaving again in less than two weeks. I’d rather skip the built in decal maintenance and go. After washing, we don‘t wax and buff. We just wipe down with 303 and go. Same on the boat. I wash it every spring, put it in the water and go sailing. By the end of the season in October it’s ugly, but I had more sailing days than maintenance days. If we are home when it’s warm, we’ll wash the trailer. Until then, we’ll go. It’s a Sept ‘21 E19. It’s been washed twice. It gets used a lot. So does the boat when we are home. Trailer when it’s cold and boat when it’s warm. I do maintenance, but don’t want to make extra maintenance I can easily skip.

Everyone has their way, that’s just ours.
Old 01-20-2023, 11:25 AM   #67

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0ta
I really like the look of the graphics on my 5.0 but wish I had deleted the decals on the front of the trailer. After every trip I clean the bugs off the nose of the trailer then apply a fresh coat of wax to the area. The decals make this job more of a chore. I expect they will start to fade and peel before the decals on the rest of the trailer.

If I remember correctly there were a couple of owners who went to the other extreme and applied Escape decals to their tow vehicles.

I also have kept my original spare tire cover. To me it's more of a statement that this trailer is something more than just another brand of cookie cutter RVs cranked out by one of the Elkhart mega corporations. Fellow campers have approached me with questions after noticing the cover and "Made in BC" sticker. More often than not they have no idea that there are available camper options other than what is offered by the large RV dealerships.
nepaweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 11:43 AM   #68
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by nepaweb View Post
After every trip I clean the bugs off the nose of the trailer then apply a fresh coat of wax to the area. The decals make this job more of a chore. I expect they will start to fade and peel before the decals on the rest of the trailer.
Why? I wax right over the top of the decals and hand buff off too. Are you waxing around them or what?
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 11:52 AM   #69

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Why? I wax right over the top of the decals and hand buff off too. Are you waxing around them or what?
I was wondering the same thing.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 12:57 PM   #70

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by nepaweb View Post
I also have kept my original spare tire cover. To me it's more of a statement that this trailer is something more than just another brand of cookie cutter RVs cranked out by one of the Elkhart mega corporations. Fellow campers have approached me with questions after noticing the cover and "Made in BC" sticker. More often than not they have no idea that there are available camper options other than what is offered by the large RV dealerships.
Nice perspective. I like your thinking on how the spare tire cover and/or the “Made in BC” sticker help to differentiate our trailer from the rest of “the herd.”

Generally speaking, we actually didn’t give a moment’s thought to leaving them off. Same with the maple leaf decals on our kayaks (also made in Canada). To each their own, though - obviously.
YakRV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 01:00 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
I have seen an Escape or two pictured on this forum that are all labeled up with Texas stickers and Texas whatnot. Definitely a turnoff, up north here in Oklahoma. Go Sooners, yada yada, whatever.
Just joshing.
Ruh-roh, looks like someone messed with Texas.
(Just kidding too)
Old 01-20-2023, 01:36 PM   #72

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0ta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I wax over the top of the decals as well. Maybe I'm just being a little bit OCD about scrubbing and buffing in the area of the decals.
My concern is that the more frequent scrubbing of this area as well as the exposure to sun and wind will result in more rapid wear of this decal.

Maybe my concerns are unfounded and I am certainly open to your thoughts and the thoughts of the other more experienced members of the forum.
nepaweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 07:00 PM   #73

Trailer: 2023 Escape 21C
Perhaps I should put this into a separate thread, but here I go anyway...

Do most people who pick-up their trailer in Sumas go to Chilliwack the day before to check-out their trailer?
SteveSgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 07:10 PM   #74
Site Team

We did. Spent a little over a day in Chilliwack. Took a nice walk on the Vedder South trail and saw half a dozen eagles in a little over 4 miles including a bald eagle.

The ladies in the front office of ETI are a hoot. Even gave our dog, Sage, some sardine dog treats. Fun to look in the showroom as well. I would highly recommend it.
Old 01-20-2023, 10:54 PM   #75

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSgt View Post

Do most people who pick-up their trailer in Sumas go to Chilliwack the day before to check-out their trailer?
We went to Chiliwack to get our fifth wheel hitch installed. They were unable to show us our trailer, as it would have delayed delivery.

Chiliwack, actually the whole area, is nice. Beautiful mountains all around.
splitting_lanes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 11:16 PM   #76

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSgt View Post

I would love to have gone to Chilliwack the day before Sumas, both to check out the trailer and see the factory / meet the people, but Covid complications at the time put a damper on that notion so I settled for delivery to Texas (all was just fine with the trailer as delivered).

Nope, though a 'lifelong native' I don't fly the TX flag on anything these days (the license plates are telling enough); and yep, I like the Canadian 'country of origin' maple leaf and BC text to further distinguish my RV from the 'run-of-the-mill' around here.

I'm a veteran, figure I did my small part as asked to allow folks to display the flags and labels of their choice, no worries!
Old 01-21-2023, 08:40 AM   #77

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
For at least my past 3 Escapes, that is what I did. Stopped at factory and looked over the unit the day before delivery to Sumas. In retrospect, nothing was amiss that would have prevented me taking ownership the next day.....
Old 01-21-2023, 09:01 AM   #78

Trailer: 2021 5.0
I had mine delivered, for one I deleted my mattress. It was nice to just hook it up then park it in the driveway to begin the prep work.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 05:09 PM   #79

We picked up in Sumas but didn’t want to deal with the hassles involved with the border crossing. We accepted our 21C at Bob’s Burgers & Brew (stayed there the night before too). It was easy. There were no issues with the trailer, and our delivery driver was helpful in guiding our very first hitch. The epic journey home was well worth the trip out there.
Old 08-07-2023, 06:59 AM   #80

Trailer: 2015 Casita
Thanks
Rbmurray is offline   Reply With Quote