Crossing the border to Canada..... - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Documents & Helpful Instructions
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-14-2022, 08:42 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Crossing the border to Canada.....

There seems to be a whole new set of rules to follow in crossing the border into Canada, we have been updating for the past hour our records. Just a heads up...
Old 05-14-2022, 09:16 AM   #2

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
There seems to be a whole new set of rules to follow in crossing the border into Canada, we have been updating for the past hour our records. Just a heads up...
Actually less rules Jim than there was before the end of March. At least you don't have to test for Covid. Just make sure you're vaccinated and fill out the arriveCan app and you'll be fine.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 11:19 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Hi: cpaharley2008... You don't want to cross the Customs and Border Protection folks!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 10:20 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Food and border inspections

This quote is from the Osoyoos rally thread. I thought it fit better here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneCentHillman View Post
Just double checking to be sure I'm understanding this correctly before we hit the road for Osoyoos. Regarding bringing food into Canada... I usually cook and freeze many of our camping meals but I believe, in reading the rules and regs, if the meals include meat, I cannot bring them into Canada.

Is that correct or am I being too cautious? TIA ;-)

https://inspection.canada.ca/food-sa...630282362#tab1

I've been reading through information on what can and cannot be brought from the US into Canada. On one of the Canadian inspection web site pages I read that meat originating in the US is OK, but not from other countries. My thought is that the inspector cannot determine the origin of the meat when it is in a cooked dish, but can if it is in it's original package. This also seems to be the case for fruits and vegetables.

I heard from a neighbor that almost all trailers crossing the border are getting inspected.

I am very interested in anyone's experiences. We plan to cross the border on Tuesday 5/24.
Old 05-18-2022, 11:07 AM   #5
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Bringing Bear Spray into Canada?

Is it legal to bring Bear Spray from the US into Canada?

I have heard some conflicting information about this. Evidently, Pepper Spray is forbidden, but some people say if the spray container is clearly marked as Bear Spray, then it might be OK..... even though chemically it is a lot like Pepper Spray.

Any first-hand experiences with this at the border?

- Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 11:15 AM   #6

Trailer: 2021 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
This quote is from the Osoyoos rally thread. I thought it fit better here.

I've been reading through information on what can and cannot be brought from the US into Canada. On one of the Canadian inspection web site pages I read that meat originating in the US is OK, but not from other countries. My thought is that the inspector cannot determine the origin of the meat when it is in a cooked dish, but can if it is in it's original package. This also seems to be the case for fruits and vegetables.

I heard from a neighbor that almost all trailers crossing the border are getting inspected.

I am very interested in anyone's experiences. We plan to cross the border on Tuesday 5/24.
The last time I took my trailer which was many years ago into Canada they did search it and brought in the drug dog.
WanderBred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 11:45 AM   #7

Trailer: Past time to update- canceled my 5.0 ��
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
Is it legal to bring Bear Spray from the US into Canada?

I have heard some conflicting information about this. Evidently, Pepper Spray is forbidden, but some people say if the spray container is clearly marked as Bear Spray, then it might be OK..... even though chemically it is a lot like Pepper Spray.

Any first-hand experiences with this at the border?

- Bea
I crossed in 2019 before all the Covid hoopla. I was in my campervan, not towing a trailer. The border dude got irritated with me because I stopped at the stop sign, then pulled forward. I was apparently supposed to wait at the stop sign for him to wave me forward. Oh well. But despite his irritation, I disclosed the can of bear spray I had and he just waved me forward. I travel with a dog and had all her info, but he didn’t bother with that. Maybe I have an honest face or he was just so irritated with me because he looked at my passport and sent me through very quickly. YMMV.
Deva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 12:14 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Wow, never realized how easy it is to cross into Canada compared to the US.

I've crossed the border both ways, sometimes weekly, for months at a time sometimes with the trailer. I'm in the bad books in the US, once over two green onions and once over half a grapefruit. So while entering Canada is easy look at the US requirements before you head back.

I do have Nexus and my average stopped time at the border is about 5 seconds. But remember border folks both ways are mostly looking at specific things.

Going South, food items seem to be #1, or maybe immigration status.

Coming North, I hate to say it but the item of most concern is the one we can't talk about on the forum. Unfortunately the propensity of some folks to lie about the situation and the border folks knowing that people lie about it leads to some being questioned more closely.

And remember, Canada isn't exactly a third world country, we have stores that are well stocked with everything you'd need.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 12:18 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
And remember, Canada isn't exactly a third world country, we have stores that are well stocked with everything you'd need.

Ron

I have tried to convince my wife not to pack all the food we might eat, explaining to her that there are grocery stores where we are going. And, I like to support the locals.
Old 05-18-2022, 12:42 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Wow, never realized how easy it is to cross into Canada compared to the US.

I've crossed the border both ways, sometimes weekly, for months at a time sometimes with the trailer. I'm in the bad books in the US, once over two green onions and once over half a grapefruit. So while entering Canada is easy look at the US requirements before you head back.

I do have Nexus and my average stopped time at the border is about 5 seconds. But remember border folks both ways are mostly looking at specific things.

Going South, food items seem to be #1, or maybe immigration status.

Coming North, I hate to say it but the item of most concern is the one we can't talk about on the forum. Unfortunately the propensity of some folks to lie about the situation and the border folks knowing that people lie about it leads to some being questioned more closely.
Yep, Canadian Border agents seem to always ask if you have firearms and if you say no and have Texas plates they assume you're lying and send you to secondary(so I've heard)

Remember when the Sumas IGA had gun lockers for rent?
Old 05-18-2022, 01:31 PM   #11

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
We never seem to be questioned about exactly what food we have on returning to Canada and have often answered, when asked about what we've bought, groceries. We intend to shop at Costco in Kalispell and cross into BC south of Creston at a small crossing.

We have never taken fruit or vegetables raw into the US. We are packing spaghetti sauce as we've done before but never had a problem since the tomatoes in it are cooked plus it's frozen. For the US people coming to Osoyoos just make sure when crossing back home that you have no fresh fruit or veg, give it away to a Canadian if you need to. We're in site 405
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 02:28 PM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Dang, feels like everybody's going to Canada but me.
Attached Thumbnails
EscapeMoon.jpg  
Old 05-18-2022, 03:35 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deva View Post
The border dude got irritated with me because I stopped at the stop sign, then pulled forward. I was apparently supposed to wait at the stop sign for him to wave me forward.
Interesting, something similar happened to us at the last Escape rally we went to.

We left the campground to make a quick trip to Oroville, a tiny town just over the border.

I pulled up to the booth. The border person was outside her booth standing on the road about 20' past the booth with her back to us. Don't know what she was doing but after a minute or two she turned around and saw us. She started yelling and accusing us of trying to run her down. Not a great situation.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 04:10 PM   #14

Trailer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Dang, feels like everybody's going to Canada but me.
Nope not going either in Utah , red canyon area
Old 05-18-2022, 08:25 PM   #15

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15 B. Room4Two
I just talked to friends who were going through to Alaska. I asked them if the needed proof of Covid vaccination. They said No.

But had to have a Negative test with in 48 hours of crossing at Blaine.

Any one confirm that?
ghosthunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 08:30 PM   #16

I would rely on Canada Border Services Agency, not friends who said. I'd also check US Border agency for what is required to get back into the US. And, I'd check again a couple days before crossing to make sure requirements haven't changed.
Old 05-18-2022, 08:39 PM   #17

Trailer: on order
We had an interesting experience a couple years back when crossing from New Brunswick into the US. The US border guy asked if we had any fruits or vegetables to which we replied, yes we have some tomatoes. He informed us that that was not allowed and he followed my wife back to the trailer to get them. She handed him the tomatoes and then remembered that we had some sliced up in the refrigerator as well. His response was "the sliced ones are ok, but the whole ones weren't". Still can't understand why, and for that matter why he didn't allow us to cut them all in half and keep them!
G.D.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 09:22 PM   #18

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15 B. Room4Two
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I would rely on Canada Border Services Agency, not friends who said. I'd also check US Border agency for what is required to get back into the US. And, I'd check again a couple days before crossing to make sure requirements haven't changed.

Well of coarse.

I was simply interested as to anyone on here had been asked for proof of vaccination.
Going into Canada.
ghosthunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 09:35 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
Well of coarse.

I was simply interested as to anyone on here had been asked for proof of vaccination.
Going into Canada.
  • Starting April 1, 2022, pre-entry tests are no longer required for fully vaccinated travellers entering Canada by land, air or water. You must still use ArriveCAN within 72 hours before your arrival to Canada.
Under certain circumstances, you may be exempt from some requirements.
Old 05-19-2022, 12:38 AM   #20
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deva View Post
I crossed in 2019 before all the Covid hoopla. I was in my campervan, not towing a trailer. The border dude got irritated with me because I stopped at the stop sign, then pulled forward. I was apparently supposed to wait at the stop sign for him to wave me forward. Oh well. But despite his irritation, I disclosed the can of bear spray I had and he just waved me forward. I travel with a dog and had all her info, but he didn’t bother with that. Maybe I have an honest face or he was just so irritated with me because he looked at my passport and sent me through very quickly. YMMV.
Good to know. Thanks for sharing! -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote