Initial Trailer Outfitting - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Documents & Helpful Instructions
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-02-2009, 12:56 PM   #1

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
Initial Trailer Outfitting

Since many people on this list will be picking up their new trailers and going directly from the factory to camping (like us in a few months), I'd like to see in this section of the website a document listing the basic initial outfitting needs. I think the list ought to be fairly inclusive, which would allow folks to scan it and determine what they individually need or want to start trailer camping. This would be especially helpful for first-time owners, like us. I know that most owners will have had camping experience, but first-timer trailer owners are in the "We don't know what we don't know" zone. Am I getting too anal by suggesting that the list be broken into sections, like Bedding, Kitchen, Cleaning, etc.? In our case, we'll be off from the factory for 10-12 days of camping, and I don't want to have to repeatedly run to a store because of the "Oh yeah, we need 'X'. " scenario. Another thing I don't know (but I bet Jeff does ) is how various suggestions get formed into a master list. I'm lazy enough to not want to re-invent the wheel, and figure there's a wealth of information you more experienced hands can share with us newbies.

Thanks in advance,
Bruce Wray
Bruce Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 04:50 PM   #2

Re: Initial Trailer Outfitting

Hi Bruce

My spare bedroom is loaded with all the things we think we'll need when we pick up our new 19 footer on the 8th. We will be camping for a week and hope to only purchase needed food items. Here's my list:

Bedding - mattress cover, pillows, duvet, queen set of sheets, extra quilt, 2 sets of towels, washcloths.

Kitchen - 4 Corell plates, bowls, muggs. Cutlery, wine glasses, steak knives. Kettle (don't use hot water heater). Melitta coffee cone. Frypan, small and medium saucepans. Hot mat. Tea twoels, dish cloths, J cloths, scrubbies. Small dish soap, small kitchen garbage bags. Paper napkins. Plastic cutting board. Plastic table cloth (for outdoor use). Wooden matches and propane lighter. Foil and plastic wrap. Hand sanitzer. Toaster. Dust pan and brush. Small bottles of favourite spices and sauces. Can opener and wine opener. Spatula, wooden spoon, large plastic spoon, paring knife, potato peeler, large knife. Disinfectant wipes. Corel serving bowl. Large plastic measuring cup (subs as mixing bowl). Floor mats. Coleman stove with grill. Small plastic garbage bucket.

Food items - Boil-in-a-bag rice. Small plastic containers with brown sugar, quick oats, tea. Salt and pepper grinders from Costco (great). Coffee filters.

I try not to have any open boxes eg crackers, cereal, pancake mix. Everything in plastic containers.

Do not leave aluminum cans in the fridge when travelling. They leave terrible marks. Put in a container or inside old socks.

Misc. items - RV TP and toilet chemicals. Television, couple of DVDs. Plastic mat for shower floor. Crib board and playing cards. Radio. Travel journal - have kept one since June 04. Plastic coat hangers. Cube heater (why use furnace if paying for electricity). Pressure reducer valve. Hydraulic jack in case of a flat. Small air compressor. 4 pieces of wood to put under stabilizer jacks. Wheel chocks. Can of WD 40. First aid kit. Small tool kit (I don't know what my husband puts in this). Extension chord.
Water hose. Cablevision chord. Roll of duct tape.

All of this will stay with the trailer until we put it away for the winter. Hope this helps with your planning.

ellen smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 05:52 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

I had an Excel spreadsheet that I used before and have only just started adapting it for use with our new Escape. I would highly recommend using a spreadsheet for your list, and include absolutely everything you think you may need too take at some time. I do separate lists for all my camera gear (and I have lots), trips to the tropics, canoeing and backpacking too. Before you print out a list for your trip, go through it and delete the items you won't need for that particular trip. Then print, but don't save when you close the file. It is also assumed that you have backed up all the files on your computer anyway, so if you screw it up somehow you can replace it with the original.

I have attached my list as it is now. I still have to clean it up (you know, the OCD thing) so it is more organized, and possibly add some things. It is a work in progress.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Escape Gear List.pdf (12.3 KB, 1219 views)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 08:31 AM   #4

Thanks for starting this thread Bruce. Perfect timing as we are heading to Chilliwack next month to pick up our 17B; can't wait. Only concern is actually how much can we fit in our Jeep Liberty when making the trip from Manitoba.

Jim, I love your spreadsheet idea; only printing what is required for each trip. I too am a bit of an organizational nut.

'tis the season for camping!

Jodi
Old 04-04-2009, 11:05 AM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

Don't forget latex or vinyl disposable gloves and a bottle of Purell.

baglo
Old 04-04-2009, 05:43 PM   #6

We like the "shop towels"..they're a tad beefier than paper towels and you can re-use them.. We use the paper towels that are 1/2 sheet/selectable ..use them for napkins & stuff..

favorite quote: "Put the candle back"
JeffZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 06:02 PM   #7

I was referring to emptying the gray and black water tanks. Not keen on paper towels for that.
It's just nice to get the job done and then slip off the gloves and be on your way.

In any event, it is a pleasure compared to emptying a porta-potti. I'd describe my experiences, but I don't want to gross you out.

baglo
Old 04-04-2009, 06:03 PM   #8

I was referring to emptying the gray and black water tanks. Not keen on paper towels for that.
It's just nice to get the job done and then slip off the gloves and be on your way.

In any event, it is a pleasure compared to emptying a porta-potti. I'd describe my experiences, but I don't want to gross you out.

baglo
Old 04-04-2009, 06:06 PM   #9

oooo.. you mean we're supposed to wear gloves?!!

I was just adding my 2 cents to the thread.. We get out gloves from costco they are pretty beefy as well not like the "Walgreen" stuff..

favorite quote: "Put the candle back"
JeffZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 06:11 PM   #10

I got a box of 100 gloves for under $10 at the hardware store. Like surgical gloves. One time use.

baglo
Old 04-04-2009, 08:15 PM   #11

I go the route on not immersing my hands in the waste water.

My wife always has a box of gloves around for food prep, due to easily irritated skin. Hmmm, no wonder I get under it so easily. :
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-04-2009, 08:30 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett
I go the route on not immersing my hands in the waste water.

My wife always has a box of gloves around for food prep, due to easily irritated skin. Hmmm, no wonder I get under it so easily. :
Jim I believe we men come by that talent naturally.... according to my better half.
Old 04-04-2009, 10:35 PM   #13

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna

Thanks for the list Jim. I'm going to print it out. I've just been winging it and making a list of what I put in the $5 containers.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:11 AM   #14

No problem Sandra. I hope to get it refined and organized a bit better soon. I will repost it then. I never even checked, but can we load Excel spreadsheets here. What I could do is send it by email to whoever is interested and then folks could modify it to suit their individual needs.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:52 AM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA

I came across a great list, it's actually an image that's well organized and labeled. This is on the CasitaClub and I don't know if you can view this, but here goes: http://tinyurl.com/dhmqbo. Hope it helps.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:55 AM   #16

That is a good setup for the trailer & repair, 'cept "We don't need no stinkin' rivet tool".
Old 04-05-2009, 11:04 AM   #17

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA

Also I will be taking 4 wheel chocks for when you just can't
find level ground and you want or have to drop the trailer.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:19 AM   #18

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna

That is helpful. Thanks.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:16 PM   #19

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19

Wow, thanks to everyone who posted a reply. I knew there'd be a wealth of good info out there; and I'll bet there's more to come. Your list is going to be an especially helpful starting place for us, Jim.

Bruce Wray
Bruce Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:14 PM   #20
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett
That is a good setup for the trailer & repair, 'cept "We don't need not stinkin' rivet tool".
hahahahah good point. Except aren't the vents and hatches riveted? Heck, I'm just getting good at the dang thing!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote