No License Tag - License Plate - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2020, 11:34 PM   #1
Hen

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
No License Tag - License Plate

We will be picking up our 19 Escape in May, coming up from Georgia where they will not issue a tag, something about form T-22B verification. So we have two problems, no tag, and have to be back in GA within 30 days or they hit us with a 10% on cost of the trailer penalty. My questions are will it be difficult to get back into Canada with out a tag on the trailer after pickup, and what was your experience (if you didn't have a tag either) driving home?
Hen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 06:04 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I picked up in 2014 and traveled the first 6 weeks without a tag. (Chilliwack to Texas, although I was headed to North Carolina) No problems. I was glad that I had a tag when I entered Louisiana - more psychological, than anything, as it seemed the roads were full of police.
Old 02-13-2020, 06:13 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I'm not aware of anyone incurring trouble returning home in a leisurely way without a tag, your paper work should suffice. Some of us who had other trailers took our old tag and transferred them once home. As far as the 30 day rule, I think that is 30 days once you return physically, you have to register. Just like when you move to another state, once you move and settle in, you have 30 days to transfer your old tags to your new state tags. That can be cleared up with a visit to local office or research the Georgia regulations on line, that is what I'd do. That way you are always a step ahead of the uninformed.
Old 02-13-2020, 06:51 AM   #4

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I would be hesitant to cross the border without plates too.
Old 02-13-2020, 08:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I would be hesitant to cross the border without plates too.

If they stay near Sumas, they will not be crossing with plates as Escape brings it across. But , yes if they are planning on heading back north could be, but that crossing is so used to Escapes with and without plates. Just make sure you have insurance in place.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:21 AM   #6
Hen

Thanks Jim, I have been told that it is 30 days from the date on the Bill of Sale.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:49 AM   #7

I just read here https://dor.georgia.gov/motor-vehicl...ties#Penalties
30 days when vehicle is transferred which is when you pick it up in Sumas, the date on the import documents will have this, not the bill of sale and the penalty is $10, not 10%
Old 02-13-2020, 07:34 PM   #8
Hen

Jim, I read that over and then called the GA DMV to verify. Seems I was off a bit on the fine. I was told that they went by the date on the bill of sale as to when the clock starts ticking and the fine would be 10% of the total of fees they are supposed to collect at the time of registration plus 1% a month on top of that. In my case this could amount to $3 to 400 dollars, which is much less then I had originally thought. I'm going to try and get a better estimate.
Old 02-13-2020, 07:41 PM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I remember others having this same 30 day issue, but in other states. Turns out it was 30 days from the day/date the trailer enter its home state. Might be worth checking out in this manner. Someone said save a gas receipts as you travel and one of the entering date in the home state.

Good luck.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 07:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I remember others having this same 30 day issue, but in other states. Turns out it was 30 days from the day/date the trailer enter its home state. Might be worth checking out in this manner. Someone said save a gas receipts as you travel and one of the entering date in the home state.

Good luck.
Yes this rule applies to new residents and should apply to new purchases also.
Old 03-10-2020, 09:59 AM   #11

Trailer: 2019 Escape-21C toad by 2017 Titan XD Crew Cab V8 4x4
Exclamation Tags? Plates? on New trailer?

WE checked w TN DOT person last fall about this issue. We had kept the near-new plate from the Casita when we sold it late last summer and explained to the lady that we could not pick up our 'new E21' til Spring.
She said just put that old tag on it and when you get home, bring it and all the new papers to us and we will get you a new registration and you can use the same tag, or even buy a new personal tag for the trailer.. if you wish. WE think it might be cool to have a plate similar to our current three plates, but have not made a final decision. [ Example here: https://www.license-plate-store.com/...n-water-rw0846 ] Note, they only cost $30 when you get them from TDOT..the 'plate store' gouges you!!
I figure she must know the best way, and it seems better to have a real current metal tag on the trailer, than to go 4000+ miles camping our way back w some old paper "drive out tag". ...We'll see.
Hollybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 10:11 AM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollybee View Post
WE checked w TN DOT person last fall about this issue. We had kept the near-new plate from the Casita when we sold it late last summer and explained to the lady that we could not pick up our 'new E21' til Spring.
She said just put that old tag on it and when you get home, bring it and all the new papers to us and we will get you a new registration and you can use the same tag, or even buy a new personal tag for the trailer.. if you wish. WE think it might be cool to have a plate similar to our current three plates, but have not made a final decision. [ Example here: https://www.license-plate-store.com/...n-water-rw0846 ] Note, they only cost $30 when you get them from TDOT..the 'plate store' gouges you!!
I figure she must know the best way, and it seems better to have a real current metal tag on the trailer, than to go 4000+ miles camping our way back w some old paper "drive out tag". ...We'll see.
Hi: Hollybee... We did it her way too... Being Canadian we had to pay the Fed tx. in BC. and in Ont. the "State of Confusion" we payed the Ont. tx., transfer fee and put on the old plate. Total taxes 13%. It only hurts for a long while!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 05:11 PM   #13

Trailer: 2018 21
I had many problems getting my tag before leaving for Chilliwick.
Check this thread. https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...ion-14377.html
BTW I'm in Avondale.
rotorbudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 08:03 PM   #14
Hen

I'm just down the street from you in downtown Decatur Ga (just had lunch at Arepa Mia to day). We are picking up our 19 on May 19th and driving it back without a plate, they will not issue a plate without the form 22B or verification of ownership from a local law enforcement person. I tried everything, all failed, but the supervisor indicated that if I was a few days late it should not be a problem given the circumstances. So we will be taking out time getting back. Did you ever pull off that GA escape rally?
Old 03-10-2020, 08:08 PM   #15
Hen

I believe that Tennessee is one of those state that does not require a plate on a trailer, strictly voluntary, at least that is what it used to be when we lived in Nashville.
Old 03-10-2020, 10:02 PM   #16

Trailer: 2019 Escape-21C toad by 2017 Titan XD Crew Cab V8 4x4
TN tags

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hen View Post
I believe that Tennessee is one of those state that does not require a plate on a trailer, strictly voluntary, at least that is what it used to be when we lived in Nashville.
WE live near Franklin TN and had to get a special 'Trailer Plate' for our Casita 17 in 2018' & renewed it last June and then sold the Cassy as soon as we ordered the E21. Plate is still "in date" and TDOT lady said good to go..just put it on and call us and come by when you get home. FWIW There are small tyrailers which do not need a plate..I have had 3 boat trailers in my life and none needed a plate. Apparently gvt decided camper trailers needed a plate and state 'needed' $35
Hollybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 10:39 PM   #17

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
I'm just down the street from you in downtown Decatur Ga (just had lunch at Arepa Mia to day). We are picking up our 19 on May 19th and driving it back without a plate, they will not issue a plate without the form 22B or verification of ownership from a local law enforcement person. I tried everything, all failed, but the supervisor indicated that if I was a few days late it should not be a problem given the circumstances. So we will be taking out time getting back. Did you ever pull off that GA escape rally?
We're from Hattiesburg, Mississippi and will be picking our E19 up on the morning of May 19th -- guess we'll see you there! I haven't gone down to the tag office in Hattiesburg yet but if I can't get a new tag my plan is to put the still current Casita tag on the Escape to drive it home.
Valerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 09:49 AM   #18

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
As has been said, if crossing back at Sumas I don't think Cdn. customs will care whether the trailer has a plate. We once crossed into the US and the guard asked to tell me the number on trailer plate. Now we'd just left home and didn't know someone had torn our plate and bracket off. We didn't want to travel for two months without a plate so turned right back into Canada, went home looking for plate, no luck, went to get a new one, and returned to the US, of course there was a lineup the second time across but got same guard.

We bought our current trailer in the US and could not get a MB plate until we jumped through the import hoops (yes we imported a Cdn. made trailer). The owners let me leave their WA plate on and I carried their title and sales agreement with me of course. I would have traveled without a plate had they wanted theirs back.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 12:29 PM   #19

Trailer: 2018 21
Quote:
We have been traveling so much that I forgot all about the GA rally. Over 25k on the trailer so far in 15 months.
Just got back from Big Bend NP and we saw 2 21s on the road and another 21 was in Rio Grande Village with us!
rotorbudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 05:15 PM   #20

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21, 1977 Scamp 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie View Post
We're from Hattiesburg, Mississippi and will be picking our E19 up on the morning of May 19th -- guess we'll see you there! I haven't gone down to the tag office in Hattiesburg yet but if I can't get a new tag my plan is to put the still current Casita tag on the Escape to drive it home.
That is funny.. Well I guess we are all going to have a party on the 19th, as that is when we are picking up our 21 too. Orientation at 11:30.
tburt is offline   Reply With Quote