2020 Mississippi River Rendevous - Cancelled - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Rallies, Get-togethers, Gatherings or Events
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2020, 04:41 PM   #61

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Andre the Giant had a scuffle with a news photographer when he was wrestling in Cedar Rapids years ago. Two young rookie policemen were dispatched to the scene. They had a heck of a time getting him in the back seat of the squad car because of size. He went peacefully. At booking they couldn’t get his palm print on the sheet of booking paper so they used a big white sheet of paper. It all got straightened out and it’s just a memory. One of the officers became a good friend of mine as we were on the special events committee together and recently he retired as either a captain or lieutenant. His name is Jerry Potter. There was a recent article in the Cedar Rapids gazette about the incident. I met a few of those wrestlers
when I was younger and they were pretty big people. A friend of mine tells a great story about Mad Dog Vachon. Now that’s a great name. I used to be able to drink a case in about three hours and stagger away but those days are long gone. When I worked on the hog kill at Wilson’s it was very hot. We’d weigh ourselves on a big scale when we clocked in and after the shift although we’d drink water while working we’d still drop about 9 or 10 lbs.Over to the CIO tavern we’d go. They sold quarts of Old Style for $1.25. I’d usually drink three and then get on my Schwinn 10 speed and ride three miles home. I was about 35 years old back then and in my natural prime as they say. My wife Rita is a sure fire candidate for sainthood or whatever it is. The line from the old Roger Miller tune comes to mind “Woman settin home with a month old child.” Except it was three children and a couple dogs. Those were the days.
Couldn’t do her now.
Iowa Dave
Old 04-18-2020, 07:23 PM   #62

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Who’s up for drinking fireball shots off of a pot luck tray. The Habberdabber and I will show you how it’s done.
Iowa Dave

Ummmm.......I'm not sure if I remember how to do those shots again......off an ESCAPE Trailer Industries free-be food tray. I must have been remiss that day in bringing my Stanley Products stainless steel snort shot glass size accessory. For shame!
HABBERDABBER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 08:08 PM   #63

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Just reserved site 40 and look forward to seeing everyone again!
Mary O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 08:32 PM   #64

Rally site

It will be good to see you too again Mary. The forties are nice sites. With morning sun,
shade in the PM and a windbreak from the prevailing west wind. And nice people nearby.
Iowa Dave
Old 04-24-2020, 04:53 AM   #65

Trailer: 2020 day o fun by cfb recreational solutions
I hope you all don't mind some un-invited newbies joining. My wife and I reserved a site as well....this will be our first rally. I sure hope the lockdoun is lifted by then!!
Day o Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 06:29 AM   #66

Trailer: 21' Escape - 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day o Fun View Post
I hope you all don't mind some un-invited newbies joining. My wife and I reserved a site as well....this will be our first rally. I sure hope the lockdoun is lifted by then!!
I'm sure you will have fun and make new friends at this rally. It's one of our favorite camping times each year. We are hopeful to get out camping in the next 2 weeks as it seems that Indiana and the federal gov't are beginning to loosen the reigns. We'll still stay socially distant and do all I can to keep those around me safe.

Dan and Martha
1Oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 07:12 AM   #67

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
It will be good to see you too again Mary. The forties are nice sites. With morning sun,
shade in the PM and a windbreak from the prevailing west wind. And nice people nearby.
Iowa Dave
Hi: Iowa Dave... I'm sure there's always a good amount of de batch airy going on at the pot luck too!!! Have a great time if it's back to normal by Sept. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 08:41 AM   #68

Potlucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Iowa Dave... I'm sure there's always a good amount of de batch airy going on at the pot luck too!!! Have a great time if it's back to normal by Sept. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
I am usually good for at least one fox paws at every social gathering. Now they call them party fouls or there’s probably a new millennial name for an adult who thinks he’s still 13.
Iowa Dave
Old 05-26-2020, 08:11 PM   #69

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
The Mississippi River Project of the US Army Corp of Engineers announced today that the Thomson Causeway campground will open June 1. Showers, restrooms and dump stations will be open. Playgrounds and picnic shelters will be closed.

You will have to have a reservation with recreation.gov to camp. It can be made at the time of your arrival but there will no access to assistance from the fee both. Everything is over the internet or over the phone.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 06:27 AM   #70

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Dave,
you need to brush up on your French...faux pas if you intended, other wise I just committed a foh pah
Old 05-27-2020, 06:55 AM   #71

Hi Jim
When I was about 25 years old, friends invited my wife and I to a 1950s themed party. I went as a greaser (what else?) and Rita went as an overdressed society lady. I stopped into the Salvation Army and bought Rita a moth eaten Fox fur wrap with a clip in the mouth that would clamp on the tail or the crossed hind feet. My boss was a creative and a sorta crazy guy. I told him I had picked out the fox for her and he told me I’d made a mistake. It should have been mink. I had, in fact, committed a “ Fox Paws” and I’ve been using that term all too often ever since, because I make a lot of social mistakes. So it was intentional but how could you have known? Rita drew a nice tattoo on my arm for the party. It was a naked lady with a snake wrapped around her censored parts and the head coiled back ready to strike. I have been inappropriate pretty much all my life. I’d apologize but I don’t regret it. Unless she can find a really good lawyer and bribe a judge Rita and I will be married 50 years on Friday. Oops, there I go again.
Iowa Dave
Old 07-10-2020, 09:06 AM   #72

After some careful consideration and a consultation with some longtime attendees we have decided to cancel the Mississippi River Rendezvous for 2020. Without going into an elaborate description of a rationale for canceling, we think it is simply a matter of the risks outweigh the benefits. So much of the rally is the social interaction between those attending, the typical events such as a social hour, breakfast, potluck, and trailer tours would all be taboo. We can do better, and we will next year. Plan for September 24-26, 2021.

Please stay safe,
Paul and Janet
Old 07-10-2020, 09:07 AM   #73

The real reason for the cancellation was that Adrian and Beth could not cross the border. Adrian is essential for the invocation at meal time.
Old 07-10-2020, 09:40 AM   #74

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
The real reason for the cancellation was that Adrian and Beth could not cross the border. Adrian is essential for the invocation at meal time.
I'll drink to that..........
Old 07-10-2020, 09:57 AM   #75

Cancellation

Quote:
After some careful consideration and a consultation with some longtime attendees we have decided to cancel the Mississippi River Rendezvous for 2020. Without going into an elaborate description of a rationale for canceling, we think it is simply a matter of the risks outweigh the benefits. So much of the rally is the social interaction between those attending, the typical events such as a social hour, breakfast, potluck, and trailer tours would all be taboo. We can do better, and we will next year. Plan for September 24-26, 2021.

Please stay safe,
Paul and Janet
Hi Paul and Janet
Nothing could dampen our spirit , neither flooding, or torrents mixed with hail
Like the mailman, we had our Rondy, you delivered without fail
But the pandemic put a blip on the radar screen
When this covid 19 got so mean.
Next year Paul, bigger and better.
Iowa Dave
Old 07-10-2020, 10:12 AM   #76

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
After some careful consideration and a consultation with some longtime attendees we have decided to cancel the Mississippi River Rendezvous for 2020.

We can do better, and we will next year. Plan for September 24-26, 2021.

Please stay safe,
Paul and Janet
Thanks for the update Paul. We agree with your decision.

Just yesterday Colleen and I were discussing going (or not) this year. Our decision was YES we would attend, thus showing support for the rally. Underneath that decision was hope that Covid-19 would be history.

The 2018 Mississippi Rally was our introduction to Escape and the Mississippi Rally holds a warm spot in our hearts, we will miss it this year. Thank you for planning for next year "We can do better, and we will next year. Plan for September 24-26, 2021" We appreciate your work putting the Rally together.
Old 07-10-2020, 10:14 AM   #77

Trailer: Escape 21 2018 "Gypsy Cat"
Agree with the appropriateness of this decision. See you all next year!
MadCAT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 10:18 AM   #78

Trailer: A lovely 2017 Escape 21C
While the rally may be cancelled we are not cancelling our reservation to Thomson. Algonac has been turned into a low key gathering without the potluck or other "official" things, but we can still meet up in small groups and social distance. While I will miss the biscuits and gravy from Steve D, it would be nice to meet up with anyone willing to be there.

Edit: I have placed a reminder in my phone calendar to make reservations next year when they become available.
Old 07-10-2020, 10:20 AM   #79

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Thanks Paul, it's too bad you have to cancel. And here I thought we might fly down and come visit the rally. Perhaps you could have brought a tent along and we could have camped on your site

Did you know we cannot drive south from town to cross the border but you may fly from Canada into the US? A couple planning to marry in Grand Forks ND (one is from Winnipeg), only two hours drive between them. She had to fly to Minneapolis rent a car and drive to GF so they could get married. Similar stories out west where people in Vancouver fly to Seattle and drive back close to the border to meet loved ones.

What we are especially going to miss is visiting our daughter who today with family have left GA enroute to KS where we'd normally be able to visit them in a twelve hour drive, but won't be doing it for quite a while I guess. They cannot make their usual summer visit to Canada either.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 10:26 AM   #80

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Just cancelled our reservation. Thinking that's now the seventh camping reservation we have cancelled this year
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote