2022 Mississippi River Rendezvous September 23-25 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Rallies, Get-togethers, Gatherings or Events
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-12-2022, 07:03 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
2022 Mississippi River Rendezvous September 23-25

The rally continues for year eight. We had a record turnout last year, lots of campers anxious to get out. The campgrounds were filled and attendees were spread across three of the four campgrounds, all within walking distance.

Thomson Causeway in Thomson, Illinois will be the location. For those who have not attended, the campground is an Army Corp of Engineers facility located on the main channel of the Mississippi River. To get a flavor you could search for Mississippi River Rendezvous on this forum and you will find stories and photos of previous events.

Most attendees stay for the weekend but you are welcome to arrive early and stay late. You will have to book for a two day minimum and the booking window opens six months prior to your arrival date. For those unable to camp, there are motels in the area.

Here are the loops in order of preference and their abbreviation. Three of the loops are within walking distance of each other.

Site Numbers--- Loop Abbreviation
29-78--- PMAN
1-28--- PMAS
99-126— HPOI

River Birch campground is not on the causeway and would require a short drive.

The rally is open to all. It is promoted here on the Escape Forum, as a result the majority of those attending are Escape owners or parties looking to view a lot of models with one visit and converse with owners.

If you have questions this is the location to ask them. Many of those who have attended in the past are regular visitors on this forum.

With the rally still over six months away our plans need to be flexible. Here is a link to my observations after last years rally. It remains to be seen if they continue for the current year.
fudge_brownie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 02:49 PM   #2

Trailer: 21' Escape - 2018
2022 Mississippi rally

Martha and I are planning on making it again this year. I'll reach out soon to see how we can help.

Be blessed,
Dan and Martha
1Oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 09:36 PM   #3

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
My wife and I will be traveling across the country and planned to camp in WI the last week of September, so this Rendezvous is a perfect stop along the way. Hope to see you there!
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 01:55 AM   #4

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud 1988
Kevin and I will be returning from the BOCI rally in South Dakota the week before and plan to attend again this year. We might stop on the way home to see if we want to bring our canoe again. It is too heavy to bring it if the canoeing area is like it was last year or if the weather is not good.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 02:22 AM   #5

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Big Muddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
Kevin and I will be returning from the BOCI rally in South Dakota the week before and plan to attend again this year. We might stop on the way home to see if we want to bring our canoe again. It is too heavy to bring it if the canoeing area is like it was last year or if the weather is not good.

CindyL
I don't know where you were thinking of canoeing, but the slough is always weed choked that time of the year. A paddle along the East river shore is possible and pretty much open water.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 05:35 AM   #6

The booking window for sites will be opening soon. Six months in advance from your date of arrival it starts. The campground will not fill with the start of booking but if based on last years turnout it will eventually fill.
Old 03-18-2022, 07:02 AM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Paul,
Thanks for your post I appreciate it. As in past years I appreciate your observation that the rally is open to all. Folks with tents who are looking to become fiberglass trailer owners have attended too. Maybe I’ll be able to stay longer this year. As in the past Rita and I are willing to help if needed. Thanks for all you do.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-18-2022, 07:14 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
You are a good person Dave.....hope to see you here and/or elsewhere.
Old 03-18-2022, 07:24 AM   #9

And Pony show

Hi Jim
When we were at the Davey Crockett rally in 2019 they organized a dog show for the campers. I think we ought to have an assemblage of costumed dogs in a.parade around the upper loop on one morning after breakfast or in the early afternoon. It’s not much work and a very social event. Of course cats who can behave and march in time would be welcome too. What do you think?
Iowa Dave
Old 03-18-2022, 09:20 AM   #10

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
As Cindy noted earlier, we will be stopping at Thomson on our way back from the annual Bigfoot Owners Club rally in the Black Hills. We are now signed up for site 42 from Sept. 18 - 26. Take care!
KevinA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 09:42 AM   #11

Thompson

Lots to do in the area around the causeway. Many natural attractions, good birdwatching, two good grocery stores in Clinton just across the river and some “drive to” attraction that are not far away and either free or affordable. I had what turned out to be false positive Covid test results emailed to me after I had arrived last year so turned around and went back home. Never felt better and a couple days later after lounging around I was back to staining our home and testing Negative. Hope we do better this year. While in the black hills look up the “badger hole” if you haven’t been there, interesting and pretty. We always drive the wildlife loop early and late in the day. The Buffalo roundup in Late September with art, Dutch oven cooking and music show are good too.
Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
DAA40F51-1EE1-4E44-A45F-02CB962BDB0Da.jpg  
Old 03-18-2022, 10:11 AM   #12

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
It’s a bit unknown for us as well was the Bigfoot rally in South Dakota, it depends on whether our trailer is delivered in September as predicted. Given it slipped from June to August and then September I’m unsure. We will be picking it up in Portland and visiting my daughter there. Early September might work out if the delivery holds. I may book a site and release it if I get more specific news.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 10:12 AM   #13

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Hi Jim
When we were at the Davey Crockett rally in 2019 they organized a dog show for the campers. I think we ought to have an assemblage of costumed dogs in a.parade around the upper loop on one morning after breakfast or in the early afternoon. It’s not much work and a very social event. Of course cats who can behave and march in time would be welcome too. What do you think?
Iowa Dave
We are leaving our animals at home since we have to stay in motels on the way out, but normally our dog does travel with us with the camper, the cats stay home.
Old 03-18-2022, 11:19 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
I don't know where you were thinking of canoeing, but the slough is always weed choked that time of the year. A paddle along the East river shore is possible and pretty much open water.
We canoed the slough the year before last and then turned into the MI River along the side. That made me nervous! That year, the slough had an area empty of the weeds.

CindyL
Old 03-18-2022, 11:27 AM   #15

Quote:
Lots to do in the area around the causeway. Many natural attractions, good birdwatching, two good grocery stores in Clinton just across the river and some “drive to” attraction that are not far away and either free or affordable. I had what turned out to be false positive Covid test results emailed to me after I had arrived last year so turned around and went back home. Never felt better and a couple days later after lounging around I was back to staining our home and testing Negative. Hope we do better this year. While in the black hills look up the “badger hole” if you haven’t been there, interesting and pretty. We always drive the wildlife loop early and late in the day. The Buffalo roundup in Late September with art, Dutch oven cooking and music show are good too.
Iowa Dave
We have been to the Black Hills many times as we often volunteer on Pine Ridge Reservation and follow it up with a trip there. As many times as we have been there, we never heard of the Badger Hole. Thanks for the heads-up. We kayaked that lake next to the Gordon Stockade last time we were there. It was absolutely beautiful! I think that the buffalo roundup is after we leave and while we are at Thomson.

CindyL
Old 03-23-2022, 09:59 AM   #16

Trailer: A lovely 2017 Escape 21C
Oakaly Doakaly!! Have placed my reservation for 21 Sep til 25 Sep, Wednesday to Sunday. Anita and I look forward to seeing friends old and new.

BTW I have invited my sister-in-law and her husband, in their sticky, to site 75.
Old 03-23-2022, 11:08 PM   #17

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
My Wife, and Son, and his wife will be in site 68 from the 23-25. I think it will take my wife and I almost a week from California. My son will be coming from Chicago.

We’ll be heading up to the Green Bay Area after, if anyone has any recommendations on where to camp on the peninsula, let me know.
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 07:36 AM   #18

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Peninsula S.P.

Although I've not been there, Peninsula S.P. is spoken of as the most scenic in that area. Usually booked up too, so look & reserve early.
Wow! That's a haul you'll be doing from CA.

A bit West of Green Bay is Hartman Creek S.P., a recent favorite of mine.

We'll be in Site #40.....look us up.

bon voyage
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 08:34 AM   #19

Quote:
Hi Jim
Iowa Dave
I like this idea. It is a perfect post COVID activity. Saturday would be good, just in case of rain it could still be held on Sunday. We are close to Halloween giving more costume options.

Can we run with this?
Old 03-24-2022, 08:43 AM   #20

Door County

I would agree with Habberdabber about Peninsula SP. An overflow option is Potowami SP. If you want a full service private campground the Wagon Wheel is well reviewed. Al Johnson’s restaurant is a must stop. I have liked the White Gull for breakfast.

There are a lot of things to do. Plan at least three days. Since it is Leaf Peeper season a week day visit will be more enjoyable.