2022 Mississippi River Rendezvous September 23-25 - Page 11 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Rallies, Get-togethers, Gatherings or Events
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-20-2022, 04:57 PM   #201

Trailer: 2023 Escape 19
Thanks Perry, just what I couldn’t find!
Chuck B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 05:31 PM   #202

Trailer: Escape 5.0
If those are the same gnats we have here in central Illinois, the best repellant is vanilla extract. Plus you get to smell like a cookie. :-)
GregWCIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 05:56 PM   #203

Trailer: 2013 E19
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I’m sure a couple rookie campers with 50 or so years experience will give you some assistance in your setup if you need it. Don’t be afraid to ask for tools or other camping needs if you need to borrow something. Last week, the folks next to us needed a drop cord and I had one. They plugged into our 20 amp outlet and showed a movie two nights in a row. Lucille Ball in “The Long Trailer” and the second night Robin Williams “RV”. Two classics in the “on the road “ camping genre’ with popcorn.
Iowa Dave

I heard about Lucy's Long Trailer, would loved to have seen it. I'm bring a lot of bug spray. I'm a magnet for them too. I figure if they are small enough to go through screening, in the past, I've sprayed the screening. Seems to help, keeps them off to even look for the holes. Like, I hate spraying myself. So I put on old clothes & spray the clothes. Mine is just a small screen room tent, hoping it fits under awning. As former owner never gave me the screen room that was it to with the trailer. Just have half a zipper on the awning.
Chasing Trials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 06:48 PM   #204

Trailer: Escape 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by splitting_lanes View Post
What can we expect the weather to be like that weekend, there? What’s the historical average?

Are we talking shorts, or a down comforter (or both). We are trying to figure out what to pack to go cross country in September and back in October.

We will be cheering during the parade also.
Forecasting a big cool down mid to late week. Highs 60 to 70, lows 40 to 50. Great early fall camping weather. Better than the 94 we had today.
GregWCIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 07:42 PM   #205

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
Are there BBQ grills in the camp sites on PMAN loop?

I’m trying to figure out the grocery list and pick it all up before we arrive. Don’t see the details on the website reservations. Thanks!
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 07:55 PM   #206

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Nope

No barbies at individual sites. Fire pits with grates only. There may be some in a picnic area. I'm not sure.
HABBERDABBER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 08:30 PM   #207

Thanks Habberdabber! We’ll be cooking in the trailer.
Old 09-20-2022, 10:41 PM   #208

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Cooking

Quote:
Thanks Habberdabber! We’ll be cooking in the trailer.
Three things we used in Scouts all the time were a tripod frame with hanging grate ( round), a wire basket with a clasp and a long handle and pie irons. Three pretty versatile implements for a wood or charcoal fire. The 12 inch Dutch oven was also used every campout.
Iowa Dave
Old 09-21-2022, 06:35 AM   #209

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
There is a barbie at Stone Shelter, which we have rented for Friday and Saturday. It is large, can probably cook 60 burgers at once.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 08:09 AM   #210

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Curtis Mansion tour

The tour will be Saturday at 1 o'clock. The address is 440 5th Avenue S in Clinton.
There are several restaurants in the area if you care to have lunch before the tour. Anyone who wants to attend just needs to show up at the appointed time.
Anticipate about an hour duration.
Tony N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 08:11 AM   #211

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Three things we used in Scouts all the time were a tripod frame with hanging grate ( round), a wire basket with a clasp and a long handle and pie irons. Three pretty versatile implements for a wood or charcoal fire. The 12 inch Dutch oven was also used every campout.
Iowa Dave
Thanks Dave. We haven’t figured out what we want to haul along on our trips to cook outdoors yet. At home, I’m a charcoal grill guy. Not a big fan of gas grills, but what do I know I’ve been using charcoal all my life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
There is a barbie at Stone Shelter, which we have rented for Friday and Saturday. It is large, can probably cook 60 burgers at once.
Can I bring burgers to cook on it? Should I bring charcoal?

Will others be cooking on it, or will I just have a group of people cheering me on at each burger flip attempt? Lol
Old 09-21-2022, 08:43 AM   #212

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
If I were you

I'd buy some cheapo or disposable type charcoal grill for your use. The grill at the shelter is a very large pedestal type and would take a bag of charcoal to get going. Whatever, do bring all your own supplies as the C.O.E. doesn't provide for cooking.

I don't believe others are planning to use that grill.

I won't be cheering you along, but hovering like a vulture. ready to catch any errant mis-flips.
HABBERDABBER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 08:46 AM   #213

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
I'd buy some cheapo or disposable type charcoal grill for your use. The grill at the shelter is a very large pedestal type and would take a bag of charcoal to get going. Whatever, do bring all your own supplies as the C.O.E. doesn't provide for cooking.

I don't believe others are planning to use that grill.
Thanks Habberdabber. Wifey says we’ll cook burgers on the stove in the trailer.
Old 09-21-2022, 08:54 AM   #214

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Thanks Dave. We haven’t figured out what we want to haul along on our trips to cook outdoors yet. At home, I’m a charcoal grill guy. Not a big fan of gas grills, but what do I know I’ve been using charcoal all my life.
You might want to stop at site 118 to look at our BioLite Firepit. It’s going on four years old, has easily had 200 fires, is very rusty, but we cook with charcoal and then lower the grate for a wonderful wood fire.

The perforated walls let you have heat on your feet. Your firepit can be located anywhere on your site you wish and can be easily moved while burning . It saves at least a bundle of wood in an evening vs the standard camping ring. Plus, 200 fires at $6 a bundle is a savings of $1,200 over the past four years. The price is now $100 higher than for years ago, but at $300 it’s still a steal. It also fits perfectly in the storage compartment above the LP tanks.

Enjoy,

Perry
Perry Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 11:47 AM   #215

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Curtis house tour

The manager suggests I call her Saturday morning with a firmer number in that she may ask for another docent to split up the group. So let us know by Saturday morning if you plan to attend, if you haven’t already. Site #49
Tony
Tony N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 01:06 PM   #216

Trailer: 2017 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Butler View Post
You might want to stop at site 118 to look at our BioLite Firepit. It’s going on four years old, has easily had 200 fires, is very rusty, but we cook with charcoal and then lower the grate for a wonderful wood fire.

The perforated walls let you have heat on your feet. Your firepit can be located anywhere on your site you wish and can be easily moved while burning . It saves at least a bundle of wood in an evening vs the standard camping ring. Plus, 200 fires at $6 a bundle is a savings of $1,200 over the past four years. The price is now $100 higher than for years ago, but at $300 it’s still a steal. It also fits perfectly in the storage compartment above the LP tanks.

Enjoy,

Perry
Ditto on the BioLite fire pit, that's what I carry with me and love it!
TahoeJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 02:09 PM   #217

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
Curtis house tour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony N View Post
With Darrell and Laura there is enough interest in the house tour, so I'll contact them and plan on Saturday. The address is 440 5th Avenue S., Clinton IA. Will update if there is a change. No need to make any reservation, only need to show up at the appointed time.
I'm interested also.

And, presuming that the rally is still on their list, I believe that Dave & Barb (from Cincinnati) might be interested also.
LarryB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 08:23 PM   #218

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Butler View Post

Enjoy,

Perry
Sounds good. Looking forward to seeing it.

My storage above the LP tanks is still fairly available.
Old 09-23-2022, 01:14 PM   #219

Reposting the event calendar

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
  • Self-serve registration at site 51, starting Thursday 4:00pm
  • Self-serve name tags
  • Check the Bulletin Board
  • 7:30 to 9:00 on Friday. Morning coffee and a treat at Site 56. Bring your own mug. Hosted by Dan and Martha.
  • Friday night Meet and Greet – Stone Shelter* 4:00-7:00
    • BYOB
    • Optional snacks
    • No glasses/cups, plates or napkins provided
    • Fire in shelter
  • Evening campfire at the tent site area. Firewood is provided. Someone needs to select the site and start the fire. Typically, at Site 127
  • 7:30 to 9:00 on Saturday. Morning coffee and a treat at Site 56. Bring you own mug. Hosted by Dan and Martha.
  • Dog parade. Saturday at 10:00 am. The parade begins in the parking lot on the waterfront next to Site 65 and ends in the parking lot adjacent to Site 52.
  • Trailer tours are not organized, you may choose to show your trailer at your discretion
  • There will be a free swap meet on the tarp.
  • There has been an interest in arranging group tours at the George Curtis Mansion in Clinton IA. It is only open to groups. Someone would need to step forward and make the arrangements.
  • There will be an orientation meeting at 11:00 am Saturday for prospective Escape buyers and for first time rally visitors. At site 51 or Stone Shelter if inclement weather.
  • The Stone Shelter has been booked on Friday and Saturday for individuals or sub groups of rally attendees. There will be a Meet and Greet at Stone Shelter*, Friday 4:00 pm. The shelter is open for use during the day and evening on Saturday
* Stone Shelter has numerous regular and several handicapped parking spots. It is not permissible to park on the turn around circle next to the shelter.
Because there’s so much good stuff here.
Old 09-23-2022, 07:30 PM   #220

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Terrapin"
Hey Dave, hope you have a great rally this weekend. Hopefully we can make it next year. We would love to see some pics from the weekend(hint hint) blue tarp. Go Bucs.