EMS - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2020, 09:33 AM   #1

Trailer: Looking to buy 2020 Escape 21
EMS

Hello all

More questions about the electrical monitoring system

We will be camping with hookups about 50% of the time.
Definitely going for solar power without inverter.... inverter is mostly needed for microwave and if im plugged in all is ok and inverter not needed right ?

We are getting upgraded AC for times we go south but do plan on doing alot of spring and fall camping

We already own a generator and a yamaha 2200 inverter so not sure if built in EMS is good idea

Please share your thoughts
ChristineMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 11:38 AM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Some have the EMS and are happy with it, some don't have it and are happy not having it. I guess it's good for peace of mind. I had one and had no issues one way or the other.

I don't recall reading about anyone having anything blown up cause they didn't have one.
Old 11-17-2020, 12:55 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
All it takes is one miswired campground pedestal and your electrical systems can be fried. The EMS monitors the electricity coming into the trailer, if the electricity is "dirty" meaning over or under specs or the wiring at the cg is incorrect, the EMS will not allow the "dirty" current to flow.
Old 11-17-2020, 01:04 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I’ve had a few worn out 30 Amp outlets that the EMS sensed and allowed us to quickly determine that we would have to adapt to the 20 or 50 amp outlets.
In a Kentucky state park in the fall of 2019, we were directed to an overflow area. The host let us park adjacent to an open park pavilion. There was a large serving counter by the corner of the pavilion and near our trailer outlet. There were 16 duplex outlets. After trying 12 outlets and not getting the EMS to accept any of them I started looking around. A single duplex Outlet
Was on the opposite corner of the pavilion and looking at the conduit I could see it went into the panel well below the conduits feeding the failed outlets. I ran a drop cord and the EMS showed adequate voltage and no faults in about a minute and a half. So that’s the one I used that night. Didn’t need air but the AC was convenient and we ran the microwave that night and the toaster oven the next morning. For those simple reasons I like the EMS. Some older campgrounds haven’t had electrical upgrades in years. The maintenance man on Anacordes Island said nothing had been improved since 1964 when I was there in 2017. Had to use the 50 Amp there the 30 amp buzzed and clicked when I tried to plug in.
Iowa Dave
Old 11-17-2020, 01:06 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
We have the factory EMS in our 2018 Escape . The EMS has been in the bypass mode for over 2 years . In my opinion my money would have been better spent on other options
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 01:16 PM   #6

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
About 6 weeks ago we had a massive electrical storm here. I keep our 21 plug up to a 30 amp power source and it fried the EMS but nothing was damaged in our 21. Called progressive and they sent us a brand new EMS no charge. Rather the EMS get fried than the boards of the water heater, refrigerator, and AC. Money well spent on a option.

David
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 01:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
We have the factory EMS in our 2018 Escape . The EMS has been in the bypass mode for over 2 years . In my opinion my money would have been better spent on other options
Why not switch it "on", it is there, why not use it. Taking a big risk there, Steve....
Old 11-17-2020, 01:31 PM   #8

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineMcD View Post
Hello all

Definitely going for solar power without inverter.... inverter is mostly needed for microwave and if im plugged in all is ok and inverter not needed right ?

We are getting upgraded AC for times we go south but do plan on doing alot of spring and fall camping

We already own a generator and a yamaha 2200 inverter so not sure if built in EMS is good idea

Just for my comfort. I want the EMS (a must) and the power inverter. We find all sorts of things to charge. I like using a 12v inverter for the small jobs, but not the big ones.

With solar (x2) the 5.0 is a charging machine. And we use it.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 03:39 PM   #9

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
The good news is that even in bypass mode it is still acting as a surge protector.
Old 11-17-2020, 04:01 PM   #10

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
The good news is that even in bypass mode it is still acting as a surge protector.
I’ll rectify that situation in the Spring !
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 05:04 PM   #11
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Hello all

We were in your shoes a year ago when we were putting our build sheet together. We were on the fence about the EMS but our ETI sales rep explained the benefits and we are so glad she talked us into it. It does so much more than surge protecting. Money well spent, IMHO.

Like you, we use hook ups about 50% of the time and enjoy trying out new places and have come to realize...you just don't know how campgrounds/RV parks are wired. Our EMS has saved us twice already (from too low voltage that could've damaged our AC).

There are portable EMS you can get later on, but they are a bit pricy and can be a theft target. We see a lot of people pad-locking their portable EMS to the power pole. We like that our EMS is safe inside, always working to protect our electrical items, like our fridge, AC, laptops, etc when we're hooked up. Hope this helps! -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 07:29 PM   #12

Trailer: Looking to buy 2020 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
All it takes is one miswired campground pedestal and your electrical systems can be fried. The EMS monitors the electricity coming into the trailer, if the electricity is "dirty" meaning over or under specs or the wiring at the cg is incorrect, the EMS will not allow the "dirty" current to flow.
Could I not just get a portacle one from progressive industries and plug in when needed rather then mess with generator
ChristineMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 07:46 PM   #13

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
One could but with a hardwired one less thing to take out n hook up, one less thing that might be left on accident, one less thing to worry about being stolen

David
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 11:01 PM   #14

Trailer: 5.0 TA "Sea'scape"
Quote:
Hello all

It's not entirely clear what Christine's generator/inverter setup is. That makes it harder to answer her questions. It seems she has a Yamaha 2200 inverter generator, camps with hookups about 50% of the time, only wants to use a microwave when connected to AC power (campsite hookup or generator), and wants to know if the hardwired EMS build option is a good idea.

Everyone's camping style is different, but here's what I'd say. I expect other folks who camp differently to come to a different conclusion.

Our 5.0 electrical needs are simple. We don't need a factory-installed inverter; no microwave or any must-have 120 volt AC appliances for the 50% of the time we're camping without hookups.

I installed our own EMS, the same Progressive Industries hardwired EMS-HW30C RV Surge & Electrical Protector https://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems-hw30c that Escape would have installed as an option if I had the foresight to order it.

I think the peace of mind offered by the EMS is worth it; others may disagree. We camp sometimes where the electrical supply is "questionable" and it's good to feel securely protected against surges, brownouts, over-voltage, and the other electrical variances that can mess with the battery charger/converter, the refrigerator, the hot water heater, and the air conditioner, not to mention the occasional AC appliance we might plug in, like a space heater.

Note to generator users if you get the EMS:

One of the features of the Progressive Industries EMS is that it checks for an open ground and will not allow power to flow to the camper if it finds an open ground. Many portable generators like the red Honda and blue Yamaha inverter generators do not bind the open and ground conductors at the generator. So to get the EMS to allow generator power to flow to the camper, you need to connect the neutral and ground together at the generator. There are lots of discussions and YouTube videos on how to do this with a simple receptacle plug. The point is: you can have both a generator and an EMS if you know what you're doing.

Hope that helps.

Ed
Hawkeye Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 10:04 AM   #15

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Since I'm one of those "220 221" kind of guys I'm get some of the things about EMS but get lost little once I start digging in.

The EMS is a Surge Protector which I get. I understand the Low Voltage reasons but I can't quite get my head all the way around Reversed Polarity.

What other things does the EMS do from a protection standpoint? Remember I'm not a skilled electrician. When I met my Oncologist the first time he asked if I was in the medical profession. I told him I was just a Google Doctor.

We are 9 months away from our completion date and are debating the pros/cons of a $70 Portable Surge Protector vs. the $350 ETI installed EMS. I get the built-in vs portable debate but at nearly $300 I'm looking for a betting understanding of the ETI EMS.

Thanks!
WillyB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 10:28 AM   #16

Let's say it is a hot day in the cg and you are away. Everyone turns on their a/c and the cg voltage drops to where the EMS shuts off the power, thus protecting your unit from too low voltage.....it does happen.
Old 01-26-2022, 10:43 AM   #17
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyB View Post

We are 9 months away from our completion date and are debating the pros/cons of a $70 Portable Surge Protector vs. the $350 ETI installed EMS. I get the built-in vs portable debate but at nearly $300 I'm looking for a betting understanding of the ETI EMS.

Thanks!
The purchase price only stings once and then you forget about it. Literally. Unlike a portable where you think about it when you have to attach it, remove it, attach it, remove it...... and also hope no one removes it for you
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 10:52 AM   #18

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyB View Post
Since I'm one of those "220 221" kind of guys I'm get some of the things about EMS but get lost little once I start digging in.

The EMS is a Surge Protector which I get. I understand the Low Voltage reasons but I can't quite get my head all the way around Reversed Polarity.

What other things does the EMS do from a protection standpoint?
You can read about all the features of the unit Escape installs on page 2 of the manual:
https://file.powerprodllc.com/-/media/inriver/ZX480.pdf

I installed the same one aftermarket because our 19 bought used did not have one. I would go for it. It is like an electrical watchdog for your trailer doing it's job silently whenever you are on shore power or generator.
Old 01-26-2022, 11:03 AM   #19

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Hi Willy
There are some “depends on how you camp” angles to surge protectors. First I think it’s much better to have a surge protector than not. We didn’t not have one on the 2010 19 and I never got around to buying one but I did luck out and did not have a problem. When we got the 21 it came with the ETI provided protector which has worked well for us.

I don’t consider myself much of a geek about electrical consumption while camping, but it is common for me to look at the draw being used, especially when a couple devices might run us up to the limit or over. My wife often asks if she can “run the toaster oven” or whatever. And it’s easy to look at the readout and answer the question.
There’s nothing wrong with the portable units, I see them in use all the time. My son in law uses one on their boler.

When I get backed in, even before I level up and stabilize, I pull the electrical cord out and make sure I’ve got a good shore power connection. I’ve also seen people get fully set up, in a filling up, busy weekend campground and maybe 30 minutes later plug in their electric. Especially if they are next to friends and get to talking to them before finishing up with their hookups. Then their connection doesn’t make and they find out the park electrician is gone for the day. Not good.

If the added cost of the on board unit is not that important a consideration I’d go with it. If it is, a portable will do and securing it is probably a good idea. A Python cable lock for a game camera is pretty hard to cut without a significant effort that will draw attention in occupied campgrounds.

In my younger days I used to park as far from the camp host as I could, now I have no problem parking close to them and I always go over and introduce myself and compliment some part of their setup. Especially flower pots or bird feeders if they look decent. In Tennessee a couple years ago, going in and out of the CG daily, the camp hosts were also gate attendants. They were so friendly and answered questions for us every day.
Iowa Dave
Old 01-26-2022, 11:48 AM   #20

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Thanks for the info.

I think I understand Reversed Polarity but still wrapping my head around it. I think of it like a one way street. Hot is the start and Neutral is the other side. So if you Reversed them then the traffic is going the wrong way. I think?

We will most definitely have surge protection. The fancy portable seems as much as the ETI installed EMS. Just not sure yet if the portables do all the stuff the ETI one does.

Good thing we still have time to figure things out. Between Colors, Windows, Seating, Stoves/Ovens, to lift or not to lift, Etc. Etc... we see many sleepless nights ahead.

Thanks for the help!
WillyB is online now   Reply With Quote