Escape Rally, 2020 - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2019, 12:16 AM   #21

Trailer: "SOJOURNER" a 2019 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Don't take me as an authority on anything. I'm just guessing.
Well, yes, but it's definitely an educated guess - based on history regarding the Canada Rally and favorable winter conditions for a Texas Hill Country event. Some may have to choose one or the other; as I'll soon be full-timing, I'm hoping to attend both.

Life is a journey, not a destination. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
brightday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 05:41 AM   #22

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
But while Texas maybe enjoying warm winters, those of us that have to travel to Texas have to endure the snow and ice and other hazardous winter issue. It is bad enough to get through tornado alley unscathed in the spring time. Fall has more settled weather but there are already 3 rallies in September every Fall. So Glenn, will we see you across the border or not?
Old 08-27-2019, 08:09 AM   #23

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
In 2019 it was May 24, 25, 26.

Guessing May 29,30,31 in 2020.
A US rally in Texas would likely be during northern winter.
It is usually the US long weekend, one week after ours, so this sounds right.

A southern US rally would definitely be best in mid winter, that way I might be able to attend with less fear of melting.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 08:48 AM   #24

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 ("Hotel California" -Aug 2017) Tow is 2016 GMC Canyon Duromax Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
It is usually the US long weekend, one week after ours, so this sounds right.

A southern US rally would definitely be best in mid winter, that way I might be able to attend with less fear of melting.

If it’s usually held on Memorial Day weekend, wouldn’t those dates be May 22d, May 23rd, and May 24th? (Memorial Day is Monday May 25th in 2020)
Only know that since started a bit of planning, Pete and I would love to go this year 🙂
Old 08-27-2019, 08:52 AM   #25

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl@Escape View Post
Well done picking up the Canadian part. A USA rally is a sure thing..

I'm going to the rally in Pineknot this year to scout out the Texas hill country area for 2020.

Great! Looking forward to seeing you at Pineknot.
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 09:30 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrgtic4 View Post
If it’s usually held on Memorial Day weekend, wouldn’t those dates be May 22d, May 23rd, and May 24th? (Memorial Day is Monday May 25th in 2020)
Only know that since started a bit of planning, Pete and I would love to go this year 🙂
This is what my calendar says.........
Old 08-27-2019, 11:54 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
But while Texas maybe enjoying warm winters, those of us that have to travel to Texas have to endure the snow and ice and other hazardous winter issue. It is bad enough to get through tornado alley unscathed in the spring time.
Something I hadn't considered, Jim, though these are issues I'll be facing as I seek to go full time. I'm so looking forward to exploring Canada, but it's something I dare not attempt immediately after picking up my 17B mid-October, especially as the whole "trailer-behind" experience will be entirely new to me. Instead, I'll be wending my way back to my home base in Texas via the California Coast Hwy. But, of course, if I want to make the Canadian rally in May, I'll have to skirt tornado alley, though perhaps mountain passes along the way will be clear? Even RV life isn't simple.

Old 08-27-2019, 01:02 PM   #28

We hit horrific storms after Osoyoos heading home, hail and 75 mph winds that blew wipers off the vehicles and closed I90 in Montana. Going out we drive like a bat out he## to get through Missouri,Oklahoma,Texas, New Mexico. Seems like California and along the coast is relatively safe except for snow up in Washington. Weather plays a very important part while being in a travel trailer as you are more vulnerable. Get yourself a good weather radio.
Old 08-27-2019, 03:43 PM   #29

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Weather

Quote:
We hit horrific storms after Osoyoos heading home, hail and 75 mph winds that blew wipers off the vehicles and closed I90 in Montana. Going out we drive like a bat out he## to get through Missouri,Oklahoma,Texas, New Mexico. Seems like California and along the coast is relatively safe except for snow up in Washington. Weather plays a very important part while being in a travel trailer as you are more vulnerable. Get yourself a good weather radio.
We left Osoyoos on Monday this year and that one or two day difference let us enjoy
Good weather and a west to east tailwind all the way back to Iowa. We watch the forecast and either decide to drive through a front or lay up and let it pass. Once in a while an afternoon buildup will catch us and we get pounded but it’s rare. Our recent trip to North Dakota saw three rains, two at night and one in the early morning. The daylight hours were near perfect.Those are wild horses at Teddy Roosevelt NP. We saw several groups and many Titonka.
Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
F4E293E8-1A80-48B8-B2DC-FBE530AC0E5E.jpg   6870ACB9-B3CA-4D1B-9A77-E33037534A9C.jpg   A97C4562-5E68-4FCA-A58D-D6BA14E556DF.jpg   C6BE4B2E-DC3B-40D6-ACE3-B3A595FF69ED.jpg  
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 04:00 PM   #30

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
While bad weather can happen any time of year is just about any place (the last time I was in a hurricane was on Nantucket Island 35 miles off the coast of MA), I wouldn't plan my travels living in fear of general weather patterns. While I wouldn't purposely drive into a hurricane or tornado, I also wouldn't pass up a trip to or through the south during the spring.

I travel back to the east from the Quartzsite area every spring, much of which is through tornado alley, and while I have run into a few "interesting" thunderstorms, tornados themselves are usually very limited in the areas they cover. More than once I saw reports of them a few miles from my location when I was having light rain. If the predictions are for bad weather, be sure to know where the campground shelters are - usually the bathrooms.

You do need to keep an eye on the weather. Weather alerts, a weather radio, a radar app on your phone, etc are important. If it is a large scale event such as a hurricane, you will have plenty of time to pack up & move. For localized events, head for the shelter when things get nasty.

Again, many people live in the south and survive the weather each year. Now snow is something I do my best to avoid. I spent 45 years living in one of the parts of upstate NY that gets 150" - 200" of snow each year, and have been through 2 11'+ snowstorms. Guess why I spend the winter in Arizona?
Old 08-27-2019, 05:12 PM   #31

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Get yourself a good weather radio.

Wouldn't a weather app do? I get alerts on my iPhone from Environment Canada and from the Weather Channel.
Old 08-27-2019, 05:25 PM   #32

Not every where can you get cell service but then again radio seems to be available in those no cell regions.
Old 08-27-2019, 06:17 PM   #33

Watching and Waiting on Weather

Quote:
Weather plays a very important part while being in a travel trailer as you are more vulnerable. Get yourself a good weather radio.
You're absolutely right about that, Jim, and your harrowing account has convinced me to stay well ahead of the weather where possible and to head for shelter when it's not. I have a weather app with alerts on my phone and a weather radio that operates by crank in case of emergency. No need to take unnecessary risks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
We watch the forecast and either decide to drive through a front or lay up and let it pass. Once in a while an afternoon buildup will catch us and we get pounded but it’s rare. Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave, I've traveled quite a bit by car only and, like you, have found it a good idea to remain flexible to weather conditions that may be emerging. Having the extra time is one of the wonderful perks retirement brings!
Love your photos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
While bad weather can happen any time of year is just about any place (the last time I was in a hurricane was on Nantucket Island 35 miles off the coast of MA), I wouldn't plan my travels living in fear of general weather patterns. While I wouldn't purposely drive into a hurricane or tornado, I also wouldn't pass up a trip to or through the south during the spring.

I travel back to the east from the Quartzsite area every spring, much of which is through tornado alley, and while I have run into a few "interesting" thunderstorms, tornados themselves are usually very limited in the areas they cover. More than once I saw reports of them a few miles from meh location when I was having light rain. If the predictions are for bad weather, be sure to know where the campground shelters are - usually the bathrooms.

You do need to keep an eye on the weather. Weather alerts, a weather radio, a radar app on your phone, etc are important. If it is a large scale event such as a hurricane, you will have plenty of time to pack up & move. For localized events, head for the shelter when things get nasty.

Again, many people live in the south and survive the weather each year. Now snow is something I do my best to avoid. I spent 45 years living in one of the parts of upstate NY that gets 150" - 200" of snow each year, and have been through 2 11'+ snowstorms. Guess why I spend the winter in Arizona?
Jon, I find myself agreeing with everything you wrote, though I'll likely give possible tornadoes a wider berth than you'd consider necessary. and I not only prefer to avoid snow but temperatures that dip below freezing, so much so that I drove from NC to overwinter these past four years in Texas. Now based entirely in Houston (where my daughter lives) I plan to remain south only in winter, venturing into Mexico with caravans whenever possible and then heading north the rest of the year to visit Canada and the many parts of the US I haven't yet seen. My only limitation other than budget these days is weather, and, as noted above, I believe in being smart about it. Life is a journey, and I want to make the most of whatever time I have left!

Old 08-28-2019, 07:11 AM   #34

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
What weather apps to you like the most?

Enjoy the journey.

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 09:20 AM   #35

Trailer: 2022 21C 'The QShip'
Karl

I am in Central Texas near the Hill Country and would be glad to help with any planning or scouting if it would be of assistance.

Mike
marant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 10:48 AM   #36

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Twice, in 2016 and last year, I've had to change my planned route during the return trip down the East Coast due to hurricanes (Matthew and Michael). Next time I go that way I'll hang around in the D.C. area and annoy old friends until after Halloween, hoping any storms will have passed by then.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 11:04 AM   #37

I remember Super storm Sandy hitting us Halloween weekend when we were camping. All I saw coming home were gas and electric utility trucks headed to the coast. I believe they are all now down south.
Old 08-31-2019, 11:08 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratos175 View Post
What weather apps to you like the most? Enjoy the journey. Steve
Steve, I most often check the weather using my iPhone and have found The Weather Channel app with its alerts to be as accurate as any others out there. Microsoft's Weather app came loaded onto my laptop, and I've never found its forecasts to veer sharply from what's offered with TWC. If you want to investigate others, however, you might take a look at CNET, my "go to place" for such info. P.S. I don't need an app to show me how hot it is in Houston these days!

https://www.cnet.com/topics/mobile-a...ps-for-iphone/

Old 08-31-2019, 11:29 AM   #39

Trailer: 2019 17B; 2011 Tundra 5.7L Dbl cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratos175 View Post
What weather apps to you like the most?
My fav is Dark Sky - intuitive, nice maps if one wants to look at them.
Old 08-31-2019, 12:11 PM   #40

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Why not just come to Osoyoos in the spring? We don't have tornadoes, hurricanes, cyclones, typhoons or any other weather phenomena here. Just nice warm (sometimes hot) weather and the occasional earthquake Spreading attendance too thin could ultimately result in dropping both rallies. Just sayin'.....

Doug
NuthatchBC is offline   Reply With Quote