Osoyoos trip highlights - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Rallies, Get-togethers, Gatherings or Events
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2019, 05:13 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Osoyoos trip highlights

North past Salt Lake City I opted for a side trip west, toward Promontory, Utah and the Gold Spike National Monument. Those two shiny bright, enameled 1860’s iron horses facing each other, puffing light smoke, are truly an outstanding sight, nothing short of magnificent.

Finding a Costco whenever I needed to gas up along the way - a welcome decrease in the price of gasoline per gallon. (Orem, UT, Twin Falls, ID, Boise, ID, Kennewick, WA, Spokane, WA.)

A couple miles past the border crossing, south of Salmo, Kootenay region, I saw my first bear. Was at 8 PM, a magnificent specimen all husky and shiny, out from the forest, grazing on a grassy hillside right beside the Nelson Nelway Highway. No shoulder, couldn’t stop for a picture, but that, I thought, was a sign there would be plenty of great wildlife picture opportunities ahead.

The Osoyoos Valley contains miles and miles of vineyards and fruit orchard farmland. Didn’t know that is a major industry there. I drove up route 97 and found a nice bottle of port ($30CAD) at Maverick Vineyard wine shop. Later on, at the club house rally Happy Hour, I’m telling my port story to this amiable fellow from—Vancouver way, I think. So he schools me on the wonders of Canadian Ice Wine. Didn’t get his name. Ice wine? His advice was go buy some and try it out, since if I like dessert wines it is a unique specialty and only a mere $70CAD for a small bottle. Yeah, I caught that twinkle in his eye.

Abundant free food, door prizes, gifts, many happy faces, helpful hands, and people I’d never met but who enjoyed reading my forum posts, smiled with me. I even got my tongue weighed! (600 pounds).

On the trip back home detoured to Glacier National Park. Two nights at Apgar, $10/night with Senior Pass. Going to the Sun Road still closed for the winter so drove up Camas Road and north to Polebridge, searching for wildlife. No joy but it became an interesting ride. Then south to Yellowstone National Park, west entrance. Madison Campground was booked full (what’s new?) My back up plan was to go back to West Yellowstone and drive north 4 miles 0n 191 to Bakers Hole. But, this time I decided to wait in line 23+ minutes and speak to the old guy at the window. Madison don’t take walk-ins, but I was playing a hunch. Maximum personality and a folksy Pennsylvania twang got laid onto Gus (not his name). He found a cancellation!

After an evening, and a morning in search of wildlife and etcetera, was gone to the Tetons, and down to Jackson Hole, then south on route 89. That is one truly magnificent driving road. Just before Etna, WY the tow got stopped by about a hundred black angus being herded on 89 back to the barn and all around us. This was as close as I had come to any “wildlife.”

4,371 total trip miles, 3,860 towing miles, total gas about $760.00.
Attached Thumbnails
GoldSpike.jpg   Aos83.jpg   Aos84.jpg   Angus01.jpg   Yel03.jpg  

YellLodge.jpg  
Old 06-07-2019, 06:55 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
and memories that are priceless......here are some commemorative postage stamps of the event
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0772.jpg   IMG_0774.jpg  
Old 06-07-2019, 07:52 PM   #3

For sure, Jim.

Oh, forgot to mention ... Finally, down to Arches National Park area and I turn off onto Route 297 along the Colorado River toward Potash and the Gold Bar BLM campground. Was at a rally there several years ago. Some fun driving (de-hitched, of course) on the nasty Cliff-Hanger dirt roads into the Canyonlands.
Attached Thumbnails
Gol01b.jpg  
Old 06-09-2019, 09:21 PM   #4

Here's a few more road trip highlights.
Attached Thumbnails
On-I-84.jpg   PagePass1.jpg   Osoyoos2.jpg   Aos71.jpg