Quartzite 2023 Convoy - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2022, 05:34 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15 B. Room4Two
Quartzite 2023 Convoy

My wife and I are interested in joining others traveling to Dome Rock from the Pacific Northwest. Leave around 2/1/23 to get there and camp 2/6/23-2/12/23.

Prefer to avoid interstate highways much as possible an not interested in traveling through California.

300-400 mile days. Not in a big hurry.

Completely open to schedule and route.

Any takers?
ghosthunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 05:39 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I'll certainly keep this in mind! I've never been to Q, but I did capture this route information from someone who goes frequently and said this is a good route that time of the year. I know you wish to avoid Cali, but it's still winter in the mountains.....

Down I-5 to Fresno, then 99 to Bakersfield, cut over Tehachapi Pass.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 05:50 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post

Yes, yes and yes. Great route for winter time, never had an issue or delay in transit and lots of great places to stop for the night along the way.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 06:42 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I'll certainly keep this in mind! I've never been to Q, but I did capture this route information from someone who goes frequently and said this is a good route that time of the year. I know you wish to avoid Cali, but it's still winter in the mountains.....

I also hate CA when I go to AZ in late Dec but I hate ice and snow even more. I hug the coast 101 and then cut over after the LA area.
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 07:05 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018 19'
I like going through Nevada on 93. Once passed ely, all is good. Then I can spend time at cathedral gorge & valley of fire. That’s what my route will be when heading to Q. It’s been 3 long years since last at dome rock to start the Az winter adventure. Can’t wait to revisit some special places. Donna, you would love it.
Old 10-31-2022, 06:46 PM   #6

Trailer: 2019 5 TA
We have done that route many times and will be going to Q for the gathering but will probably be going to Death Valley first then work our way south, valley of fire then Lake Havasu then Quartzite. See you there unless you are going to Death Valley in January
Greg and Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 05:56 PM   #7

Oooooops

Can not make Quartzite this year. Working on upcoming bookings and realized I have the 5th through 12 th already booked at Fort Casey with Family.

Maybe next year.
Old 11-03-2022, 07:33 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by diannelgraham View Post
I also hate CA when I go to AZ in late Dec but I hate ice and snow even more. I hug the coast 101 and then cut over after the LA area.
We came back on I-10/210 from CO recently. Never again! It's always bad and we usually stage ourselves at Fillmore the night before jamming out early on a Sunday.

However, coming the other direction we encountered Infrastructure work with narrow lanes with concrete barriers on one aide and no shoulder on the other for miles. Very nerve wracking.

If I were heading south to Quartsite I would go I-5 south to Stockdale Hwy exit in Bakersfield then the new Westside Parkway over to CA 58 across Tehachapi. It is now all four lane to I-40 and then you can exit at Needles to 95 south to Blythe & I-10. Lot less population to deal with- just takes one SigAlert to ruin your day.
Old 11-09-2022, 11:02 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
Normally I'd already be down south by now. But just got my house completed so I'm staying here through January to make sure everything works ok. Leaving as soon as I can in February.

Coming from the NE corner of Washington I usually head south to Pendleton OR and on over to either Boise ID and south to Winnemucca then down Hwy 95 to Death Valley or out to Twin Falls ID and south on Hwy 93 to Vegas and over. Either way requires a week of clear weather.
advenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 11:26 AM   #10

Trailer: 2017 19" Escape
We were just down at Dome Rock for a few days on our way to Buckskin and River Island on the Colorado River. The camping at Q was awesome no one was there yet, and the town was just starting to set up for the winter season. It was a great time to be there. We might be heading down there around that time as well, but we are only about 5.5 hrs. away.
lonewolfjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 11:28 AM   #11

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
Mary and I are considering Quartzite, however we can’t avoid traveling through CA
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 12:05 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
There have been several mentions of avoiding travelling in CA. Is there something that I'm missing? Our milk run to AZ is I-5 to Bakersfield then I-58 east.

Aside from passing through Sacramento the travel is relatively fast and easy.

There's so many good places to stay I don't see the reluctance to travel in CA. LA in rush hour I can see but as a path to the sun I don't.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 12:49 PM   #13

Trailer: 2019 E19
When we picked up our E19 on December 14, 2019, we took Rons' route back to Aridzona. To avoid the heavy traffic in Tacoma and Portland, an early (3AM) from the hotel saved us from rush hour. We hoteled the first night 'cause the trailer handoff in Sumas didn't occur until the sky was already dark (paperwork delay). Watch for snow as you enter CA on I5 of the weather isn't cooperating. Be alert for potential strong crosswinds from Mojave to US95 if a weather system is moving in. Other than that, Smooth Roads and High Speeds.
wackyburggeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 01:24 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
There have been several mentions of avoiding travelling in CA. Is there something that I'm missing? Our milk run to AZ is I-5 to Bakersfield then I-58 east.

There's so many good places to stay I don't see the reluctance to travel in CA. LA in rush hour I can see but as a path to the sun I don't.

Ron
Given the traffic on CA I-5 I much prefer the openness of Nevada. Especially when California has a 55mph towing speed limit. Yeah, one can bump it up to 60-65mph and risk a ticket. But I'm still dealing with all the traffic trying to get ahead of me.
advenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 02:36 PM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
How you get to the Q has a lot to do with where you are starting, along with the time of the year.

Those in eastern Washington, it only makes sense to head basically straight down through Nevada.

Those in western Washington and western Oregon, probably won't risk heading east in order to go south. I know I won't. I-84 to eastern Oregon is a bear in the winter and trying to cross the Cascades would be foolish.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 05:36 PM   #16

Quote:

Ron
Many folks refuse to spend money in California or even travel there. Mostly because they don’t like the politics there and many of the states heavy handed rules.
I doubt we want to get into the subject any further on this forum. Nothing good can come of it. I will be up front and say I will never enter California if I have a choice.
Old 11-09-2022, 09:23 PM   #17

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
I just wonder how someone who never comes to California could have such a negative perception of it.

California kicks butt!

But, it is a little hard to drive in populated areas during rush hour.
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 10:08 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by splitting_lanes View Post
I just wonder how someone who never comes to California could have such a negative perception of it.

California kicks butt!

But, it is a little hard to drive in populated areas during rush hour.
I as a foreigner love CA and enjoy most of my coast drive on my way to AZ. My first time down I took a left instead of a right and ended up in LA rush hour traffic pulling my 19
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 11:03 PM   #19

Trailer: 2016/ 5TA Spirit Bear
Quote:

Ron
Totally agree. This is our route each year. Like California. Tip here is stay on I-5 and out of Sacramento. Much easier. Google Maps will try to correct you.
Mark James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 07:31 AM   #20

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I have nothing but fond memories of California, from my first visit during Vietnam War era to my last recent visit. It has something like 8 of the 9 climatic zones within the state and is a veritable fruit and vegetable capital.