Wine Tours or Not? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Rallies, Get-togethers, Gatherings or Events
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2020, 01:51 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21' on order to be pulled by 2019 F150 3.5 Ecoboost
Wine Tours or Not?

We are attending our first Osoyoos rally this year. Trying to decide on the wine tours. Not sure we want to spend a full day doing wine tours. Might want to visit ONE one day and maybe another a second day. Do some people just do their own visits to wineries for tasting, keeping the "activity" shorter? Just talking about doing ONE tour/tasting stop, not several.
GaryandEllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 02:24 PM   #2

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryandEllen View Post
Do some people just do their own visits to wineries for tasting, keeping the "activity" shorter?
Perhaps, but if you do that, who drives? Sampling a bunch of alcohol while driving between wineries is great if you have a chauffeur, but most people don't.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 02:42 PM   #3

We are just talking about going to one, not several. If we did several, of course the tour would be the way to go!
Old 01-19-2020, 02:50 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
We are just talking about going to one, not several. If we did several, of course the tour would be the way to go!
Yes, some do. There's a really beautiful winery right up the hill from the campground. You can see it from the campground, but it would be a long walk on the road. I think I got a brochure with a bunch of local wineries online before I went in 2015.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 03:10 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Fifteen minute walk according to Google Maps. ( that's uphill. should be shorter heading back after a few glasses ).
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2020-01-19 at 1.08.45 PM.jpg  
Old 01-19-2020, 03:34 PM   #6

Ten minute walk to Adega.
I don't drink wine so don't take these as recommendations. If you are planning on driving, depending on events, parking can be a premium. We stopped at one winery so my wife could buy a particular bottle of wine and couldn't find a parking spot and in trying to leave, we were surrounded by vintage automobiles on a one lane road.
From the smiles on those who did the wine tour, I'd say getting a ride with the experts and enjoying a day with other Escape owners is the way to go. I'd go, but the wineries don't serve beer.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2020-01-19 at 1.29.58 PM.png  
Old 01-19-2020, 03:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I'd say getting a ride with the experts and enjoying a day with other Escape owners is the way to go. I'd go, but the wineries don't serve beer.
lol on the beer! Yeah, the tour does definitely sound fun.
Old 01-19-2020, 03:43 PM   #8

There are cider brewers and I think a gin distillery in the area as well.
https://www.google.com/search?client...oos+area+cider

https://www.yelp.ca/search?cflt=dist...yoos%2C+BC+V0H
Old 01-19-2020, 03:53 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I stay with the dogs and my better half has gone at least twice in the past 6 years. I'm there to socialize with the other owners plus after driving 3,000 miles, the last thing I want to do is get into another vehicle. Highly recommend bringing a bike to get around the campground, it is huge. She always returns with some wine and always has a good time since we have made friends with several other owners over the years.
Old 01-20-2020, 12:36 AM   #10

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Oh, yeah, for just one then stroll over to one of the ones you can see from the campground. I've had some good wine (meaning we liked it) from Nk'mip.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 07:21 AM   #11

There is also socializing performed on the van rides between tours, here is a picture of Arizona Jack on one.....
Attached Thumbnails
114-DSC00306.jpg   DSC00305.jpg  
Old 01-20-2020, 12:33 PM   #12
Red

Trailer: 2018 19 ft Escape
Quote:
We are attending our first Osoyoos rally this year. Trying to decide on the wine tours. Not sure we want to spend a full day doing wine tours. Might want to visit ONE one day and maybe another a second day. Do some people just do their own visits to wineries for tasting, keeping the "activity" shorter? Just talking about doing ONE tour/tasting stop, not several.
We were parked near the pick up and drop off location for the wine tours at the rally last year. It was interesting watching people get on the tour vans along with a bunch of people they didn't really know. The morning groups were quiet and somber getting into the tour vans.

A few hours later, not all day, the vans would return and the passengers would roll out with clanking bags of wine and a great deal of laughter and friendships for the balance of the rally. The tours are fun, the wineries are entertaining and the wines very good.

If you want to do things on your own there are dozens of wineries within 30 minutes of the campground just google it. If you have a pet that you do not like to leave, come see us we love dogs and will watch for you.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 12:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post

If you want to do things on your own there are dozens of wineries within 30 minutes of the campground just google it. If you have a pet that you do not like to leave, come see us we love dogs and will watch for you.
Thanks, yeah the dog is one consideration. I know people swap pet help. Thanks for your offer! And I guess with the third winery and beyond, I probably wouldn't even be thinking about the dog!
Old 01-20-2020, 02:03 PM   #14

Something else to consider is attending the September Escape Rally in Niagara Falls, Ont. which is also located in wine country. Although no transportation, there are dozens of wineries within an hours drive north as well as the cute town of Niagara on the Lake. Regardless of which tour, just be aware of customs entering and reentering US with alcohol purchases. We had to drop our wine case from Napa, Ca at a store in Oroville, Wa and pick it up upon return after the rally.
All they wanted was for us to make some purchases, which we did upon return to US.
Old 01-20-2020, 07:24 PM   #15

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
This year will be our 4th rally and 4th wine tour. We go for the good time and getting to know some wonderful folks as much as for the wine. If this is your first rally, it is a great ice breaker, with a bit longer time to have some good conversations than the other planned activities such as the potlucks. (They are fun too, just not as in depth.)

Welcome!
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rally 2020, tour, wine, wine tour