Removal of Lithium Batteries - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Media Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2022, 03:31 PM   #21

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
Best wishes on the electronic ticker regulator.
I feel easily ten years younger than I did a month ago!

Quote:
That’s the one I installed
Same here. In the Parts List area, I just clicked on the "View Product" that Explorist Life linked and purchased it. I did not need to mount it in the box though, so that box sits in my "Purchased But Not Needed" area of our campground utility trailer.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 11-19-2022, 09:31 PM   #22

Trailer: 2021 Escape 21NE
Quote:
That’s the one I installed
John, I think the box might have been this one, which is currently unavailable from this distributor:

https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Transp...language=en_US

These ones are identical. They all come with 2 cable glands:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...1?ie=UTF8&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09GYJ89PT...NrPXRydWU&th=1
DGLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 02:13 PM   #23

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Which solar wire? Does it matter?
So I did install the switch, I think my next time I would spend a little more and get one a bit easier to mount.

Next problem was I had a extra wire running into the solar slots, they were for the zamp outlet which I don’t currently use so I just wire nutted them off. Tighten up the screws on the battery wires while your right there, mine popped right out. Also don’t be like me, get lazy and not undo a battery terminal.
Bad habit of mine from doing home electrical wiring live.
Attached Thumbnails
D8004E11-26E6-4B5B-BC9A-99F1791D8811.jpg  
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 05:30 PM   #24
SRS

Trailer: 2022 Escape 17A, 2021 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost
Hears my breaker installed in front section of PS bench. The battery wires from the controller go into the Wago connectors along with the charging wires to the batteries along with those from the Zamp port. Solar suitcase has it's own controller.
Attached Thumbnails
Solar Breaker.jpg  
SRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 06:05 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRS View Post
Hears my breaker installed in front section of PS bench. The battery wires from the controller go into the Wago connectors along with the charging wires to the batteries along with those from the Zamp port. Solar suitcase has it's own controller.
Don't understand the need for the Wago's in this situation. Were your wires too short?

Thanks,

Perry
Old 11-22-2022, 07:22 PM   #26
SRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Butler View Post
Don't understand the need for the Wago's in this situation. Were your wires too short?

Thanks,

Perry
Basically, I used it because it was already there. Escape is using them on new trailers with solar and Zamp ports.

Do you have a concern regarding their use?
Old 11-23-2022, 08:09 AM   #27

Quote:
Basically, I used it because it was already there. Escape is using them on new trailers with solar and Zamp ports.

Do you have a concern regarding their use?
Sorry, upon arriving home and looking at your picture on a computer instead of my phone I now understand why the use of Wagos in your situation. In our case the batteries were right next to our two solar controllers, so no need for Wagos.

I've used Wagos in the past and yesterday just bought a pack of ten dual 12-20 awg Wagos, to use two for installing a voltage regulator for our MaxxFan.

Just wondering if you have a disconnect between the batteries and the solar controller? I used a 30 amp resettable breaker.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 11-23-2022, 08:59 AM   #28

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
I’m installing one of these on the + wire from the solar panel. I’ll use a marker to remove the battery symbol….

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BBRPGB5W...roduct_details
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 01:28 PM   #29

Trailer: 2021 Escape E19
Here's a reply from Go Power about leaving the batteries in the trailer here without extreme winters here on the Coast.

"The lithium battery will open up its BMS charge switch and not allow charge to get to the battery when the temperature drops below freezing. The switch will open up when it warms up to 5 degrees C. In this type of environment it does not drop below free=zing often.

I would probably leave the batteries in and if we get a long stretch of prolonged cold weather check them periodically."
MarkinVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 04:35 PM   #30
SRS

Quote:
Sorry, upon arriving home and looking at your picture on a computer instead of my phone I now understand why the use of Wagos in your situation. In our case the batteries were right next to our two solar controllers, so no need for Wagos.

I've used Wagos in the past and yesterday just bought a pack of ten dual 12-20 awg Wagos, to use two for installing a voltage regulator for our MaxxFan.

Just wondering if you have a disconnect between the batteries and the solar controller? I used a 30 amp resettable breaker.

Enjoy,

Perry

Thanks Perry,

No I didn't install a disconnect between the controller and the batteries. Since I'm still in learning mode, why is that beneficial? When I turn off the breaker and the battery disconnect (escape installed) the controller goes dead. Obviously any wires connected directly to the batteries will still conduct current.

I installed the solar breaker to facilitate disconnecting the solar panels when I'm working on the solar system or when (or if) I remove the lithium batteries for storage. I haven't done that last item yet because I have an appointment December 15 to have the 3-way fridge looked at. It will run for several days and then "check" light comes on. After much tinkering, I'm going to take advantage of the warranty.

Thanks,
Sherby
Old 11-23-2022, 07:11 PM   #31

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Thanks Perry,

No I didn't install a disconnect between the controller and the batteries. Since I'm still in learning mode, why is that beneficial? When I turn off the breaker and the battery disconnect (escape installed) the controller goes dead. Obviously any wires connected directly to the batteries will still conduct current.

I installed the solar breaker to facilitate disconnecting the solar panels when I'm working on the solar system or when (or if) I remove the lithium batteries for storage. I haven't done that last item yet because I have an appointment December 15 to have the 3-way fridge looked at. It will run for several days and then "check" light comes on. After much tinkering, I'm going to take advantage of the warranty.

Thanks,
Sherby
Myself being familiar with home wiring and still remembering the 12v wiring on old beater cars from the FM converter days, I’m somewhat capable. Now this solar and new battery types, clueless. My goto electrical guy having left us a year ago, I’ve been learning on this forum, also a few YouTubes.
A few days ago I just happened to do a bit of a favor for a guy from Charleston South Carolina visiting relatives in this area. I look at his business card and he owns a solar/generator install business-go figure. He even worked on Ted Turners install on his island. I show him my camper and my newly installed solar shutoff switch-he looks at it and says-why did you did that. I tell him it’s common practice and even the manufacture recommended doing something like that and or covering the solar panels-again, why he says.
My everything works, I’d say someday I’ll get a know more about what I’m doing with this setup, but the way things are progressing so fast as soon as I do Elon will come up with a new energy source.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 07:44 PM   #32

Trailer: 2019 Dynamax Isata 3
Quote:
After you remove the batteries now would be an ideal time to install a solar disconnect breaker. It’s cheap and really takes very little time. Explorist life YouTube channel will give you a step by step instruction. It took me less than an hour; I covered the panels, unhooked the battery positive connection, identified where I was mounting the disconnect breaker, cut the positive wire, added a couple of ferrules and inserted the breaker in line and mounted it on one of the support beams under the seat. The ferrules were not necessary but makes a neat connection. This was in a 21 c so it should be somewhat similar to your setup. I put the disconnect just before the feed into the solar controller so there would be no unloaded voltage into the device. Really diy or an hour for a competent electrician. The breaker was 50 or so if I remember and the mount box was maybe 15. I didn’t need the box where I mounted it.
The video is quite informative and step by step, especially with your batteries out, it’s a great time to add another electric safety disconnect
I installed a disconnect for my solar panels but I read that both wires need to be disconnected because they're not grounded and the voltage could float. So I installed a double pole breaker as shown in one of the replies above.
kiekhaefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 11:20 AM   #33

Quote:
Many want their solar to still be charging their batteries, even when the battery disconnect stops 12v power to the rest of the camper. I.E. when storing your camper for the winter, you may want your solar panels to keep your batteries charged, but all other devices to be disconnected.

I installed a four position battery disconnect.
  • All power is disconnected
  • Power only to the WFCO
  • Power only to the inverter
  • Power to both the WFCO and the inverter

I installed the above main battery disconnect between the battery and the WFCO and the battery and the inverter. My solar controller is directly connected to my batteries, both positive and negative. The 30 amp resettable breaker is on the positive wire between the solar controller and the battery bank.

The existing ETI supplied battery disconnect still works. Since the install we only need to use the the ETI supplied disconnect for resetting our Maxxfan, but now it has a 12v voltage controller so not needed at the present time. However, since it's installed I'll just keep it there in case it's needed in the future.

You're fine the way you are unless you want all power to the devices in your camper disconnected from the batteries, but want solar to keep your batteries charged with all the other items disconnected.

Below is a simple schematic of my changes. I changed nothing to the WFCO or the brake disconnect.

Food for thought,

Perry
Old 11-26-2022, 11:40 AM   #34
SRS

Quote:
Many want their solar to still be charging their batteries, even when the battery disconnect stops 12v power to the rest of the camper. I.E. when storing your camper for the winter, you may want your solar panels to keep your batteries charged, but all other devices to be disconnected.

I installed a four position battery disconnect.
  • All power is disconnected
  • Power only to the WFCO
  • Power only to the inverter
  • Power to both the WFCO and the inverter

I installed the above main battery disconnect between the battery and the WFCO and the battery and the inverter. My solar controller is directly connected to my batteries, both positive and negative. The 30 amp resettable breaker is on the positive wire between the solar controller and the battery bank.

The existing ETI supplied battery disconnect still works. Since the install we only need to use the the ETI supplied disconnect for resetting our Maxxfan, but now it has a 12v voltage controller so not needed at the present time. However, since it's installed I'll just keep it there in case it's needed in the future.

You're fine the way you are unless you want all power to the devices in your camper disconnected from the batteries, but want solar to keep your batteries charged with all the other items disconnected.

Below is a simple schematic of my changes. I changed nothing to the WFCO or the brake disconnect.

Food for thought,

Perry

Thanks for the clarification. I just finished a 24 hour test to confirm how my trailer is wired. I turned the ETI installed switch to off and none of the 12 volt systems worked. The solar panels and controller continued to charge the batteries. This morning, before the sun hit the batteries they were 13.09 volts. By 10:00 they were at 14.2 volts, so about 2.5 hrs. The low was 18 degrees F and as I'm sure you know, the angle of the sun this time of year isn't great for a flat, roof mounted solar panel particularly one that's dirty. Yes, I need to get out and clean it.

By the way, we have something in common. I have a defibrillator which also has a pacemaker. I don't really need the pacemaker and since the defibrillator was installed I haven't had an incident of cardiac arrest. Nice to know its there just in case.

Thanks,
Sherby