Ad in latest Trailer Life magazine - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > Escape News
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2016, 10:33 PM   #1

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Ad in latest Trailer Life magazine

On page 59, in the June 2016 issue of Trailer Life, is an ad from ETI which shows the outside of the new 2017 19 footer.

Which, interesting enough, I just realized doesn't show the front storage container. So, I wonder if that has to be changed in shape from the ones they've used in the past.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:16 AM   #2

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
On page 59, in the June 2016 issue of Trailer Life, is an ad from ETI which shows the outside of the new 2017 19 footer.

Which, interesting enough, I just realized doesn't show the front storage container. So, I wonder if that has to be changed in shape from the ones they've used in the past.
I am not surprised that the front storage box is not shown, as it is after all an optional feature of the trailer. but that doesn't mean it wont be revamped for the 2017 model.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 11:24 AM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I don’t like Trailer Life Magazine. I don’t like their pompous superiority, their king of the mountain publishing preference for fancy slide-outs and dueling roof air conditioners’ on mega-campers with interior decor rivaling a rhinestone-gaudy Trump Tower. Trailer life that is not. You could fit a cathedral organ in some of them busses. I hate their clear editorial avoidance of articles about small, modest, but otherwise perfect fiberglass trailers everyman camps in. We are the best but it’s like we’re not even there.

I also don’t like their rudeness. Their “you’re nobody if you won’t pay for a full page ad” attitude. I mean, like when a few months ago I put together a nice essay, with nice pictures, on wheel bearings we little guys can all relate to. It’s been months but no confirmation they got my submission, not even the courtesy of a “thank you but it’s not what we want” response. It’s maddening. It cost me nineteen bucks to mail that.
Attached Thumbnails
FTMcDowell.jpg  
Old 05-10-2016, 12:15 PM   #4

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Myron, You are right! I let my Bicycling magazine lapse for the same reason. It was all about 'eye candy'.

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 12:24 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
I don’t like Trailer Life Magazine. I don’t like their pompous superiority, their king of the mountain publishing preference for fancy slide-outs and dueling roof air conditioners’ on mega-campers with interior decor rivaling a rhinestone-gaudy Trump Tower. Trailer life that is not. You could fit a cathedral organ in some of them busses. I hate their clear editorial avoidance of articles about small, modest, but otherwise perfect fiberglass trailers everyman camps in. We are the best but it’s like we’re not even there.

I also don’t like their rudeness. Their “you’re nobody if you won’t pay for a full page ad” attitude. I mean, like when a few months ago I put together a nice essay, with nice pictures, on wheel bearings we little guys can all relate to. It’s been months but no confirmation they got my submission, not even the courtesy of a “thank you but it’s not what we want” response. It’s maddening. It cost me nineteen bucks to mail that.
Wish I could see your article and pictures Myron . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 12:51 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Ssshhhh! Am glad we're in a niche category. Leaves the campgrounds that will only handle smaller trailers with more availability. Bigger is better
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 12:54 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Magazines

Myron,
I don't happen to read Trailer Life so have no truck with them but do, in the spirit of Voltaire, respect your expressed opinion. I'm down to one magazine that I have taken since 1959 and it's barely changed, which is why I like it. Fur-Fish-Game, a magazine for practical outdoorsmen. Where else could you learn to skin a muskrat with an air compressor?
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 01:33 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Myron,
Where else could you learn to skin a muskrat with an air compressor?
Iowa Dave
I have an air compressor, just need a muskrat.
How do you do that?
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 02:05 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
meanwhile, where the Bismark's can't go, way back in the mountains along the Animas River...
Attached Thumbnails
muskrat.jpg  
Old 05-10-2016, 02:23 PM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
They cater to the big boys Myron. No surprise that for the most part they consider modest and efficient trailers a non story.

When I was a kid, my absolute favorite magazine was Field and Stream. Nowadays it's quite different, and is mostly ads.
Old 05-10-2016, 02:29 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
They did do a number of articles on small trailers including Escapes. They insisted that Escape give them info and do a cover because of interest from readers, when Escape already had too much business (not that they think anything is too much business!).

Or course, practically everything out there is big so that is what they usually cover. Maybe someone will start up a little molded fiberglass magazine one day.

Maybe they will get to your article some time, Myron. I expect that they have a pile of them.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 04:26 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post

I have the exact same issue with Backcountry Magazine which features huge, high consequence descents most backcountry skiers want no part of. I give them feedback about writing aricles most readers might actually go and they ignore me.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 04:46 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
I am not surprised that the front storage box is not shown, as it is after all an optional feature of the trailer. but that doesn't mean it wont be revamped for the 2017 model.
Not only is it an option, but it looks better without the storage box, something important to draw folks in.

Though they may change the storage box, there is no reason to, as the front and rear of the trailer moulds never changed.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 05:27 PM   #14

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post
I have the exact same issue with Backcountry Magazine which features huge, high consequence descents most backcountry skiers want no part of. I give them feedback about writing aricles most readers might actually go and they ignore me.
An editor used that same argument for selecting material for the fashion section of the newspaper. He wanted clothes people buy. I pointed out that Sears and Walmart deliver flyer with those pictures in them and nobody would buy a newspaper to look at those. Now look where newspapers are.
I don't buy Car and Driver to read about how somebody drove to Costco and put bags of groceries in their Subaru.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:40 PM   #15

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Equipment shown in ads - for any kind of vehicle - is all about what looks desirable, not what people actually buy or which equipment is included in the advertised price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Though they may change the storage box, there is no reason to, as the front and rear of the trailer moulds never changed.
How could the front and rear not change? The new shape is the same width at the beltline, but significantly wider at the top and bottom (so much so that the frame rails are now further apart and the axles longer) because the walls no longer slope inward. The ends must be wider at top and bottom corners than before, although the characteristic shape has been preserved.

Enough change to make the existing box no longer fit properly? I don't know.

baglo - Car and Driver is essentially now Exotic Car and Owner... very little to do with driving.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 07:51 PM   #16

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Actually, been about 40 years since I bought any car magazine. I think when I got the Subaru Legacy it was all over.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:59 PM   #17

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Between Myron and Iowa Dave, I always get my laugh for the day. Thank you to both!
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 06:25 AM   #18

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Myron,
I don't happen to read Trailer Life so have no truck with them but do, in the spirit of Voltaire, respect your expressed opinion. I'm down to one magazine that I have taken since 1959 and it's barely changed, which is why I like it. Fur-Fish-Game, a magazine for practical outdoorsmen. Where else could you learn to skin a muskrat with an air compressor?
Iowa Dave
Gee Dave, I thought the best way to skin a muskrat was with a Sawzall!