Changes to the 21' down the road ? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > Escape News
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2018, 07:46 AM   #1

Trailer: 2019---21'
Smile Changes to the 21' down the road ?

While we like the 21', we prefer the floor plan of the 19' ; wish the bedroom on the 21 was located in the rear and dining area located in the front. Does anyone have any idea that ETI might offer this new arrangement down the road ?
k4zvu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 08:02 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by k4zvu View Post
Does anyone have any idea that ETI might offer this new arrangement down the road ?
No any time in the near future. Sales are pretty good for them as is, and I don't think they would want, or could handle, additional production. I would imagine the mould would need to be reworked as there would be lots of factors to consider with the location of appliances and the such. New bathroom shell, new cabinet jigs and the such.

A note to Escape by those interested, and there are many, might help get those thinking wheels of Reace's working.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 11:57 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Does anyone have any idea that ETI might offer this new arrangement down the road ?
I've been making the comment for quite awhile, "the only way that I'd buy a 21 is if it had a 19 floorplan".

Lot's of others have expressed the same comment but I don't think anyone has specifically asked Reece if there's even a remote possibility of that happening.

As Jim says, changes in the 21 mold would be necessary. I drew it out to scale, just in case a flood damaged write-off 21 ever came available. The door location just doesn't work. I wouldn't mind doing a complete interior rebuild but I draw the line at cutting the shell and putting in the door in a different location.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 03:02 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
There are quite a few comments on this forum by 21' and 5.0 owners, extolling the fact that sitting at the dinette in the back, enjoying the view it offers is preferable to staring at a tow vehicle from a front dinette.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 03:33 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 (One Life...Live It)
I can say it is beautiful when the bugs are horrible to and sit at the table in the 21 enjoying glass of wine watching the sun go down. My wife and I are against climbing over each other to get in and out of bed.
That said each to their own.
Fun&Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 08:39 PM   #6

Trailer: April 2016 21' "Ramble On"
@Ron in BC: I've wondered the same myself about the layout of the 19 in the shell of a 21.
Would be very interested in seeing your sketch and why door location does not work. Can you take a pic or scan?

Thanks!
Old 09-13-2018, 09:11 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Years ago, forum members were trying to design what would become the Escape 19. Quite a few of them forgot to include wheel wells, which tend to take up a lot of space if you put the shower there.
Old 09-13-2018, 10:32 PM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
yeah, we turned DOWN the 19 due to the crosswise bed, we do NOT want to be climbing over each other in the middle of the night. I *like* the rear dinette. and the kitchen area in the 19 seemed more cramped than the 21 with the huge fridge across from the oven+stove, etc.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 11:51 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15A
I wish Escape would do a layout similar to the Kimberley Kruisers. North/South bed, bathroom at the opposite end and side table & seats.
dstreight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 11:55 PM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
the 21's layout is very comfortable for us.

the layout you describe sounds like that of a casita, except for the N-S bed. with an 80" long bed, and a side dinette and the bathroom at th eother end, where would the fridge and closets be, next to the bath ?
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 12:05 AM   #11

Here are a couple photos and layout of the single axle Kruiser which is IIRC 21" long...
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2018-09-13 at 10.02.40 PM.jpg   Screen Shot 2018-09-13 at 10.01.43 PM.jpg  
Old 09-14-2018, 12:17 AM   #12

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstreight View Post
Here are a couple photos and layout of the single axle Kruiser which is IIRC 21" long...
No refrigerator?
Old 09-14-2018, 12:20 AM   #13

Not depicted but it has a 130L vertical refrigerator & freezer to the right of the cooktop (left of the shower location).
Old 09-14-2018, 08:20 AM   #14

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
I wish Escape would do a layout similar to the Kimberley Kruisers. North/South bed, bathroom at the opposite end and side table & seats.
Quote:
The layout you show was their S-class. It is almost 22 feet long. Because of the nose cone design the body is most of the trailer length. Remember the Escape "21" has a body that is really only 17' long. That 5' makes a huge difference in being able to accomplish the layout on the Kimberley. Also with the Kimberley layout you have no front or rear windows. Everything is a compromise.

Unfortunately I saw that Kimberley folded in July. It looks like they bet too much on complicated, high tech units (read: $$$$$) and didn't have enough market.
https://mr4x4.com.au/kimberley-kampers-closes-doors/
rubicon327 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 09:22 AM   #15

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
It seems that some of these changes ( Improvements ? ) solve one issue and create a multitude of unintended problems . That may be the reason that Escape has not adopted many of these changes along with little demand and high upfront costs .
They don’t seem to be lacking for customers so I assume most people are happy with what they offer . I know I am but I am easily pleased !!!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 11:31 AM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape Trailer 21
The reason we bought the 21 is because of the dinette at the back and a bed that does not require a crawl over. After 27 years of a sail boat and tent trailer requiring one of us to climb over the other we wanted the comfort of not having to wake one another just to get out of bed. We love our 21 just the way it is. Each to their own.
jkavanagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 12:21 PM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskersteffy View Post
@Ron in BC: I've wondered the same myself about the layout of the 19 in the shell of a 21.
Would be very interested in seeing your sketch and why door location does not work. Can you take a pic or scan?

Thanks!
That would be on a misc. piece of paper that didn't survive sitting on my desk for over a year.

If I remember correctly the deal killer for me was that the door was, very roughly, about 2' further back than the 19. That would make putting a 19 floor plan in a 21' shell not feasible. If I did it I'd want that area in the center for a longer kitchen counter and the door would prohibit that.

So, if I had my druthers and an empty 21 shell, my desire would be to leave the front dinette and the queen bed sizes "as is" and use the extra 2' for a longer kitchen counter, and slightly longer bathroom and closet spaces.

But I believe a far more popular option would be to leave the 19 dinette and kitchen spaces "as is" and use the extra 2' to change the rear queen into an Oliver style twin bed setup. Might be wrong, but given the number of Escape owners with varying degrees of mobility issues I think an Oliver option would be a hit.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 10:26 PM   #18

Trailer: Bigfoot 25' 2018
Quote:
While we like the 21', we prefer the floor plan of the 19' ; wish the bedroom on the 21 was located in the rear and dining area located in the front. Does anyone have any idea that ETI might offer this new arrangement down the road ?

YES. That's what we'd like, a '21 with a '19 layout. Perfect. I've thought to writing Escape every three months to remind them of our interest.

Not trivial though. The windows would have to move along with the bathroom and 'fridge, among other things. So it would require mold modification/new mold. But wouldn't it be nice.

Queen bed, four person dinette. Put the extra room into more kitchen counter space and closet/bathroom. You've sold me, where to I sing up.

Thanks.
currinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 10:28 PM   #19

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
How about a two-story Escape 19 with a spiral staircase? Maybe a balcony?
Old 09-15-2018, 10:08 AM   #20

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkavanagh View Post
The reason we bought the 21 is because of the dinette at the back and a bed that does not require a crawl over. After 27 years of a sail boat and tent trailer requiring one of us to climb over the other we wanted the comfort of not having to wake one another just to get out of bed. We love our 21 just the way it is. Each to their own.
Amen. We had never heard of ETI until an Escape 21 pulled into the campsite next to us a few years ago. The owners were nice enough to give us a tour. We loved the floor plan, especially the dinette in the back. 90% of the places we camp the best view is towards the back rather than the front. For us the current 21 floor plan is perfect. I know it's not for everyone but is definitely was right for us.