Dinette height - 21 vs. 19 - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > Escape News
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2014, 10:28 PM   #81

Trailer: Escape 21 pick up on 5/26/15.
Sounds like plan to me. Do you think I will need to add 3-4" to the rear dinette, or does it provide adequate viewing as is?

Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler!
batcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 10:40 PM   #82
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Standard works for me. Call ETI and get a referral to a trailer near you to be sure. Folks love to show their rigs and if you give their name as a referral when you buy a new one they get a check from Escape as a finders fee.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 10:42 PM   #83
Commercial Member

Don't see any in LA, but might be some owners now:

Home - Escape Owners Map

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 06-08-2014, 11:03 PM   #84

I tried to view one last year while visiting our daughter in Boise, but the owner was off camping at the Oregon rally, I believe, so we never connected. Still haven't seen one, but I have read every post on this Forum, some more than once, and I am convinced Escape is the best trailer it it's class. Maybe the best, period. I don't normally buy anything sight unseen, but the escapees on this forum have convinced me. I hope to meet many of you next year at the rally. It will be a long drive and pull back home, but it will be a great adventure.

Old 06-08-2014, 11:39 PM   #85
Commercial Member

I flew from Portland, Oregon to Denver to inspect my Casita before I bought it. Serious $ is worth the investment on a trip to see what you're buying and there are a few in neighboring states to Louisiana to go visit. Escape will give you contact info if you can't connect online.

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 06-09-2014, 06:50 AM   #86

Trailer: 2014 19' Escape - 2023 JGC-L Summit
Hi Steve,
We have a 19' you could look at if you want to make the trip; about 6 hours away from where you live.
DonF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:49 AM   #87

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Also keep in mind that if you just can't manage to get to see one before you want to order, raising the benches and the floor between them would be an easy retrofit.

Get the trailer without the raised floor, spend a week with it near Chilliwack after you pick it up, and if you decide you need the extra 4" take it back to Escape and have them add it -- I'd bet if this was all discussed with them and arranged ahead of time, they could do the retrofit in an afternoon. (You should probably stick with standard flooring if you go this route).

Another option: I don't see any serious downside to raising the benches and floor between them. Go ahead and have it done, even if you're not sure you need it. Aside from tripping on the floor riser occasionally until you get used to it, and maybe a 0.5% cost increase in the trailer, why not?

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:51 AM   #88

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #3
21' bench height to window

Just a little input on the 21' bench height to window, and the view out. First of all, we are small people. My wife is 5' and I'm 5' 8", or at least that's what we use to be. We were concerned with the view angles after reading some postings, so we ordered the cushions to be 5" foam instead of the standard 4". When we picked up our 21 we noticed that the cushions were crammed between the bench seat and the window frame. They were so tight that a couple outings would have worn holes in the cushion at the contact points. Reace was gracious enough to allow us to trade our 5" cushions for a standard set of 4" and everything has worked out fine. Our viewing angle isn't a problem for either of us. Our only problem is that our feet barely reach the floor. The 21 doesn't have a bump-up, so I'm thinking that the floor to bench height is a little greater in the 21 then it is in the 19? OH NO, something else to think, and worry about!!!
Tom
TAfraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:17 AM   #89

21 vs 19 bed size & position

At home we sleep on a King bed and were worried about the double bed in the 21. We really wanted the queen in the 19, but didn't want the crawl over required if two people slept in it. We were also worried that the queen bed would be as difficult to make as the one in our old Casita. Sooooo, we ordered the 21, and couldn't be happier. The bed is great! I actually feel like I'm in a bedroom the way it's tucked in next to the bathroom (it has 2.5 walls) and it's very comfortable for the two of us. It's much easier to make then our Casita ever was, and not having to climb over each other is very nice. We've had other couples lay down in our bed that were much larger then us, and every one of them has found the bed in the 21 to be very nice. I know they were telling us the truth because two of the couples are changing their order from a 19 to a 21. So don't right off the 21 because it doesn't have a queen bed!

I've heard concerns about having the bed right there by the door, but I don't find that to be a concern either. The curtain provided over the door helps with that issue, and really, you only see a small portion of the bed anyhow unless you're inside the trailer. And if you're inside any trailer you're going to see all the beds, including part of the one in the 5.0.

So, after living with the 21 for a little while, I'm thrilled we purchased the 21.
Tom
Old 06-09-2014, 11:00 AM   #90

Thank you all so much for your input. That's what I love about this forum. It's almost like a brotherhood! I think I will try to get over to Houston or take Don and Cheryl in Corinth, Mississippi up on their offer to view their trailer.(Thank you Don and Cheryl)! I am also going to be in Santa Barbara, Ca. on business in July, so might try to view one there. You are right, what's a few dollars to spend to view one before plunking down $35K or more. I can feel the excitement building and I haven't even decided on what to get yet. It's kinda like building a house from scratch! Thanks to everyone who responded. Steve

Old 06-09-2014, 03:34 PM   #91

Trailer: 21' Escape
Houston is closer for you but if you happen to be in the Dallas area we are in Flower Mound and be glad for you to look at our 21.

Jerry and Lou Todd
floorpanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 04:09 PM   #92

Trailer: former owner-2014 5.0 TA #4 TV-Ram 1500 Eco Diesel
Hi Steve,
We are here in Chilliwack ready to pick up our 5.0 TA on Tuesday 6/10 and will be on the road for a while, but we plan to meet up with friends in Flower Mound TX in August before we head back to South Florida. I don't know exactly what route we'll take back, but most likely we'll be going through Louisiana at some point. Maybe you'll be able to take a look at ours, if our travels take us anywhere near you.
Bob and Sue
rscovell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:07 PM   #93

Thank you all for your offers to view your trailers. I will consider them all. If I can't view a 21 or a 19, I might take Bob and Sue up on their 5.0. I really appreciate all your offers. You folks are great. I know I'm in good company

Old 06-11-2014, 09:48 AM   #94

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Raising 4" in 21'

When looking at the pics of the 21' dining area I realized that I need to know some more information. If 4" are added to raise the dining area where does the top of the pillow end? Right under the window? How tall are the back pillows and do they need to be made shorter to fit? When the table is raised 4" is it significantly higher than the kitchen counter? Just trying to get the overall sense of this change. Thanks much.
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:42 AM   #95

Trailer: 2014 21ft Escape
Hey Steve,

We are in Houston and will be home for the next 4 weeks or so. would be happy to show you our 21ft. We are very happy with the set up. The bed is fine and seems larger than a double. We had a 17ft Casita and are amazed at the room a few feet more gives you. The dinette cushions are a good height and can see out the window with no problem. We are not that tall. Anyway if you would like a look see, let us know!

Robbie and Rob Torrey
trailseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:51 AM   #96

Leon, I may be confused as to what you're planning here, but please see my previous post on page 9. I don't see how you're going to raise the benches while maintaining cushions that fit below the window frames. And if you cut down the back cushions to fit below the window frames, then they won't be usable to make the bed, if you so desire.

Here are some measurements from our 21 along with some pictures: counter top is 35" from the floor, table top is 32" from the floor, and the dinette bench seats (no cushion) is 18.5" from the floor. The back cushion is 18.5" tall which sits on top of the seat cushion, which in our case is 4" thick.

Hope this helps, and please let me know if I'm all confused here
Tom
Attached Thumbnails
SAM_4695.jpg   SAM_4696.jpg   SAM_4697.jpg   SAM_4698.jpg  
Old 06-11-2014, 10:55 PM   #97

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Tom,

this is the info I was looking for, but it is academic as Tammy just sent me an email saying they can't raise the floor in the rear dinette 4". We were concerned because the photos of the 21 on the ETI website make the windows appear a bit higher in relationship to the seats. But I am sure we will be just fine. Thanks again.
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote