Escape 23 - Page 8 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > Escape News
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2020, 10:13 AM   #141

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy View Post
I’m figuring both weights are before options,

That's what "dry weight" is. Before options, propane, batteries . . .
Old 07-28-2020, 05:35 PM   #142

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
it's interesting to look at the 'build sheet' for completed "In Inventory" trailers .... those often list both a "Trailer Dry Weight (Base)" and a "Shipping Weight".

While the former is consistent for any given model, the latter varies from specific trailer-to-trailer and presumably equates closely to the 'curb weight' (including all of that trailer's specific options, the listed batteries, and in the case of those few with pre-filled propane option listed, perhaps even that fuel weight); absent, of course, any water / waste other than residual from whatever testing of those systems ETI does.
Old 07-28-2020, 06:39 PM   #143

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
The 23 is listed having a dry weight of 3800 pounds...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
That sounds like 21's weight. I can't believe they have a weight for the 23 yet.
That value is from the Escape 23 web page on Escape's web site.

I would hope that they would have a target design weight, this far into the planning of the model. It's pretty straightforward (for the manufacturer) to extrapolate from known weights of the 21' and its components (frame, body).

3800 pounds is 335 pounds more than the 21', for a couple feet more frame and body, and essentially the same other components. The listed weight for the 21' is only 215 pounds more than that of the 19'.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 06:41 PM   #144

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
"Dry" just means with empty tanks. "Base" is without options, and the spec pages show a weight which is both base and dry.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 06:53 PM   #145

Trailer: No RV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post

I would hope that they would have a target design weight, this far into the planning of the model. It's pretty straightforward (for the manufacturer) to extrapolate from known weights of the 21' and its components (frame, body).

3800 pounds is 335 pounds more than the 21', for a couple feet more frame and body, and essentially the same other components. The listed weight for the 21' is only 215 pounds more than that of the 19'.
Well with B-Ps reply I guess it’s pretty consistant to have the predicted dry weight Of the 23 be at 3800, I just thought being taller, wider, longer would put it up in dry weight over the 19 more then they listed, but after reading BPs reply, it looks consistent with other builds. If anyone gets a base price, please list it
Higgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 08:34 PM   #146

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
"Dry" just means with empty tanks. "Base" is without options, and the spec pages show a weight which is both base and dry.

According to Wiki, "Dry weight" is whatever you want it to be.
"There is no standard for dry weight, so it's open to interpretations".
Old 07-29-2020, 09:57 AM   #147

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Quote:
I’m figuring both weights are before options, I just need patience and look at the 23 when it’s more complete. If the 19 was 6’5” interior I probably wouldn’t be so interested in the 23 and maybe production of the 23 will stimulate more used 19 going up for sale. I don’t want to get away from the compact easy towing feature of Escapes... This Escape Forum has literally made the decision to purchase a trailer a reality for my wife and I and I am grateful for your expert help.
Dear Higgy
I agree with your statment, when we were making a decision about purchasing our 19 the comments and support of the peopl on the form was so appreciated and also helped us decide that it was the right trailer for us. we are experiencing a little bit of the "2f itis" and are now considering a larger trailer such as the 23 so if there are other like us there may indeed be 19s available
Bear101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 10:22 AM   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear101 View Post
Dear Higgy
I agree with your statment, when we were making a decision about purchasing our 19 the comments and support of the peopl on the form was so appreciated and also helped us decide that it was the right trailer for us. we are experiencing a little bit of the "2f itis" and are now considering a larger trailer such as the 23 so if there are other like us there may indeed be 19s available
Bear101, I’m embarrassed to write, I don’t know what 2f itis is but I hope a 23 cures it !
Old 07-29-2020, 10:30 AM   #149

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
It says it is an 'Estimated Value',

Click image for larger version

Name:	Escape 23 Estimate.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	49012
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 11:33 AM   #150

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Quote:
Bear101, I’m embarrassed to write, I don’t know what 2f itis is but I hope a 23 cures it !
Sorry Higgy, this is a tongue in cheek phrase (two-foot itis) which refers to a desire for travel trailer owners that get the notion that if they just had a trailer two feet longer, things would be better. e.g going from the 19 to a 21 but I think that going to the 23 would defintely cure this
Bear101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 04:25 PM   #151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear101 View Post
Sorry Higgy, this is a tongue in cheek phrase (two-foot itis) which refers to a desire for travel trailer owners that get the notion that if they just had a trailer two feet longer, things would be better. e.g going from the 19 to a 21 but I think that going to the 23 would defintely cure this
That’s a good phrase then, happens all the time, that’s why I built a 3 car garage when I only need a car and I built an addition on the house I don’t need. It think the 23 will feel huge compared to the 19 for current 19 owners, taller, wider, longer. it looks like a nice unit for many folks. While I’m not an experienced RV guy, I’ve been an outdoorsman and commercial fishermen for the best part of my adult life and at 63 yrs old I have learned my stuff needs to be easily and. conveniently used or it won’t be used, the 19 may fit this behavior of mine better then the 23, but I love the 6’5” interior😁
Old 07-30-2020, 09:54 PM   #152

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16 SD (sold), 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
I ended up deleting the post, that is individual vehicle length. So, as long as your tow vehicle is less than 22 feet, and your trailer is less than 22 feet you're good. Except where is says no trailers period.

Here's a link to the deleted info.

Sequoia & Kings Canyon National Parks
Vehicle Length Limits & Advisories
We had reservations at Sequoia Lodgepole campground one year and entered the South entrance with our 16' Scamp. The gatekeeper told us they didn't recommend taking our trailer to the campground due to the "combined length" due to the severe turns. Having never been on that road I heeded her advice and on the long detour back to the North entrance we passed a campground (Horse Creek) that saved us a long drive. Headed back to Sequoia the next day and discovered the turns were gentler than the ones we drove on the previous day (Trail of 100 Giants). Also discovered that the campsite we reserved would not have held our Scamp and Dodge Dakota, so in a way it was good that we turned around.
Old 07-30-2020, 10:33 PM   #153

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
and maybe production of the 23 will stimulate more used 19 going up for sale. I don’t want to get away from the compact easy towing feature of Escapes...
Not necessarily. Sometimes other considerations are the limiting factor. We bought a 19 and towed it with a Ford Ranger. It served us well but when we bought a F150 we moved to a 21. But it wasn't an easy decision. One factor was our parking space at home. The 19 fit fairly well but we looked long and hard at the effect of an extra 2'. Not to be able to park at home would be a deal killer. Fortunately the 21 ~just~ fits. There will be no 23.

Today we left one of the most perfect campsites possible. Isolated from others with our own private dock. The catch, it's unlikely that very few folks have ever managed to position a travel trailer on the site. There's be many times that we've been in similar situations. 2' might not seem like much but at some point it can start to work against you.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 06:48 AM   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Not necessarily. Sometimes other considerations are the limiting factor. We bought a 19 and towed it with a Ford Ranger. It served us well but when we bought a F150 we moved to a 21. But it wasn't an easy decision. One factor was our parking space at home. The 19 fit fairly well but we looked long and hard at the effect of an extra 2'. Not to be able to park at home would be a deal killer. Fortunately the 21 ~just~ fits. There will be no 23.

Today we left one of the most perfect campsites possible. Isolated from others with our own private dock. The catch, it's unlikely that very few folks have ever managed to position a travel trailer on the site. There's be many times that we've been in similar situations. 2' might not seem like much but at some point it can start to work against you.

Ron
Is the 2’ in the 21 over the 19 all at the table and benches, is it the same width as the 19, is the bathroom the same size as the 19?
Old 07-31-2020, 09:22 AM   #155

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
The 21 is 4 inches wider, has more counter space, and has the largest bathroom of all the Escapes.

The feel of more roominess versus the 19 is considerable.

Don't order one without walking into both of these models.

Good luck.
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 10:53 AM   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Earline View Post

Good luck.
Truer words never spoken. There's so much spinning your wheels speculation on some items that would be pretty clear to those that have actually been in the trailer(s) under discussion.

I was by ETI yesterday, buying a couple of Captain's lights. I looked at the 21NE for the first time. Sort of deja vu in a way. Funny seeing the trailer that I always said that I'd build if I could get a 21 shell.

Ron
Old 07-31-2020, 03:11 PM   #157

Trailer: 2020 21NE - dual dinettes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Earline View Post
The 21 is 4 inches wider, has more counter space, and has the largest bathroom of all the Escapes.

The feel of more roominess versus the 19 is considerable.

Good luck.
The 21C has a larger bathroom. The 21NE is the same as the 19. The 21NE uses most of its extra length in the dinette - it is about a foot longer fore & aft. The rest of the extra is used in the reefer and wardrobe, although it is hard to tell. The kitchen counter in the 21NE is about 6" longer than the 19. The 4" width difference is in the aisle, and is definitely noticeable.

The 21C has a totally different feel. To me it feels much more spacious - especially the bathroom and kitchen area. The fact that the bathroom is in the corner makes the reefer/wardrobe block much smaller, opening up middle. The 21NE devotes much more space to sitting /sleeping areas, and less to the other spaces.
sherminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 04:23 PM   #158

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
I was just looking at the three configurations of the 23 == Does anyone know if we'll still be able to access the underbed storage from outside?
Old 07-31-2020, 05:42 PM   #159

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherminator View Post
The rest of the extra is used in the reefer and wardrobe, although it is hard to tell.
Must be very hard to tell. We looked at it yesterday and the closet appeared very narrow compared to our 21.

Ron
Old 07-31-2020, 06:29 PM   #160

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Maybe an Aluminum frame...
Here is quote from the July update on the 23.
“Without mentioning specifics, we also have exciting developments underway on the trailer’s frame, tank, and underbody as well as new and exciting features and systems not yet seen in any Escape trailers.“

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote