Escape 5.0 TA Update - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > Escape News
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2014, 05:21 PM   #21

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape
My son is trying to talk me out of selling our 19 and getting the 5.0 TA. Towing issues aside, what am I really getting and loosing in terms of storage, counter space, etc. I worry about loosing the box on the front of my 19 since I'm also loosing my truck bed with the TA.
lefttee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:34 PM   #22
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefttee View Post
.....I worry about loosing the box on the front of my 19 since I'm also loosing my truck bed with the TA.
Oh pooo. What do you carry in the truck bed? As long as it misses the king pin and 5er hitch during a turn you can still carry it. I've seen monster 5th wheels under tow where there's all kinds of "crap" in the bed. Ladders, chairs, etc. Now, what you may need to worry about is theft. You can't leave that stuff in the bed and just park anywhere when going from point A to point B.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:19 PM   #23

Trailer: 2013 Escape 5.0
We have the 2013 5.0 "Classic". You don't lose the bed of the truck. We tow with a Tacoma and get chairs, boxes, blocks, tables, snow chains and any number of things in there. And - especially with the outside hatch to the under the seat storage - there's oodles of room to store things. If you need more, you take too much camping! :-) Just kidding.

Theft could be an issue, but we rarely leave the trailer under tow and without tow we remove valuable/useful things. Never had a problem. Well, we did have a table nicked, but we were taking it to the dump anyway :-)
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:23 PM   #24

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
Donna your right on. I try to limit what could be taken while in a restaurant or tourist trap. The same could be said for someone towing a bumper pull with an open pickup bed loaded or a SUV with the "crap" tied to the top. I guess I've been lucky to have not lost a thing. One thing I like is that my ice chest cannot be removed between my locked tailgate and the 5er hitch and it remains in the shade of the Escape 5.0.
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:34 PM   #25

Does the compartment behind the king pin in the 5.0 hold as much as the front box on the 19? Given the 5.0 and the 19 are the same length...when you compare side views...you're loosing the entire front bottom quarter of the 19. Where did it go in the 5.0 if I have more room in the 5.0?
Old 04-04-2014, 08:44 PM   #26

Trailer: 5.0
The 19 foot length of the 19 has close to 4 feet dedicated to hitch, where as the 5.0 actually is the length advertised.
Not so Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:11 PM   #27

Hi Bart,
Someone please correct me if I am wrong but the 19' measurement includes the hitch. The 5.0 is 19.5 and that includes the loft.
I have very little problem with bringing what I need. If your tow is a smaller import, then you will be somewhat restricted limited by a smaller bed space and the pin weight. Since I prefer towing with a full size pickup that is not an issue.
IMHO think it through well before you switch Escapes. That's a lot of money and effort.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:28 PM   #28
Site Team

Absolutely, postively think it through. Tow weight for your tug is paramont. Don't let anyone tell you what you own is exceptable, YOU must be comfortable and live with the liability... NO ONE ELSE.

The new 5er is going to be longer and wider than the current Classic...
Old 04-04-2014, 09:35 PM   #29
Site Team

I'm looking to buy an "under rails" storage box. It will mounted at the front of the bed, locked down. That's where I'm thinking I'll stow grungy stuff and items I don't want to just throw in the bed... like a Fire Dancer. This item will be a "one and done." YMMV
Old 04-04-2014, 09:55 PM   #30

Already have a new Silverado 1500. Towing either a 19 or 5.0 is a non issue. I guess my question (and my son's) is what am I really buying if I go to a 5.0? With resale as it seems to be for the 19, the $$$ aren't a major issue. We would really enjoy another trip to Chilliwack but that's a pretty skinny reason. Am I really getting anything in terms of function with the 5.0 that I don't already have in the 19. Guess I'm a solution looking for a problem.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:00 PM   #31

Donna,
Don't make my mistake and order a cheap one online. The whole box is flimsy and is not very secure. I believe you can pry it open with a #2 screwdriver. Go touch them and get a good feel for the money your spending.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:06 PM   #32

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
For me, there are 2 primary differences between the 5.0 and the 19. The 5.0 you must have a pickup with the 5th wheel king-pin to tow. Having that in the bed does somewhat restrict the use of the truck. That hardware is an effort to remove from the bed if you want to use the truck as a truck to carry something large, flat, etc.

Second, the 5.0 has the loft with a queen bed as the 19, but the 5.0's queen bed is oriented longitudinally, where the 19 is mounted sideways, so with a couple, you may have to climb over your partner if you need to get out of bed before they do.

You can't go wrong with either choice. Hey, if you have the resources, own both and have the best of both worlds.
MarksAlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:15 PM   #33

Trailer: '09 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Absolutely, postively think it through. Tow weight for your tug is paramont. Don't let anyone tell you what you own is exceptable, YOU must be comfortable and live with the liability... NO ONE ELSE.

The new 5er is going to be longer and wider than the current Classic...
Have you picked a new tug yet?
bledsoe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:40 PM   #34

Bart I love my 5.0 and I could be happy with a 19' as well. It's your money, spend it as you wish. You may get most of your money back from the sale of your 2013 Escape. The one thing you might gain is ordering one the way you wish you had done the first time. You will be getting a trailer that makes your overall length ( tow+RV) shorter. And likely easier to hitch and tow. However their new, untested, and some details are yet to come. I would give ETI time to build a few and enjoy your 19' during that wait time.
Old 04-05-2014, 07:15 AM   #35
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bledsoe3 View Post
Have you picked a new tug yet?
I've picked out a dozen, but haven't made the purchase. :
Old 04-05-2014, 07:20 AM   #36

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I think maneuverability and overall length gives the 5.0 a plus over the 19/21'. The separate loft locale for the bed can be a plus or minus, dependent upon personal preferences. Loss of bed use, while hooked or unhooked can be mitigated somewhat with a custom cover, but for those with a cap on the truck rear, that loss of space is detrimental. Complicated with no clear answer.
Old 04-05-2014, 07:57 AM   #37
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveandsandyclink View Post
Donna,
Don't make my mistake and order a cheap one online. The whole box is flimsy and is not very secure. I believe you can pry it open with a #2 screwdriver. Go touch them and get a good feel for the money your spending.
David, I think something like this: Delta Pro Aluminum Tool Chests

I can get it locally, so I'll definitely do the touch test.

Thanks for your concern, truly.
Attached Thumbnails
TruckBox.jpg  
Old 04-05-2014, 09:04 AM   #38

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I agree with Dave on some of those Delta boxes. I was keen on a hitch mount one, at a very good price, until I saw it in person. Heavy duty aluminum foil is nearly as thick. The do make a line that is much tougher though.

I do like the idea of these type boxes for storage when using a 5th wheel. Secure and weather tight.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:48 AM   #39

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
If you want a good box I would recommend a Greenlee Box. I had one of these in a work truck years ago and they are solid and tough as nails.

Greenlee | 2448 Greenlee Storage Box | Home Depot Canada
Attached Thumbnails
2448_4.jpg  
Old 04-05-2014, 10:52 AM   #40

Trailer: 2013 Escape 5.0
We remove the hitch from the truck when we're not camping. My 80 year old husband does it by himself, and it takes him about 2 minutes so it can't be that difficult! It's only the top part you remove.
I've not owned a 19' but I'm sure they're grand. This is our 2nd 5.0 and I like it because I can hitch it up alone - like Alf said, everything's at eye level. I like the position of the bed, the fact that I can use the bed as storage during the day without it looking an eyesore, and the fact that when I go to bed I actually feel like I'm in "another room"! But, as Donna said, only you can make the decision ...... Storage, I believe, is a non-issue in either trailer. It's all in the packing :-)
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote