Escape Recall for Potential Stove Gas Leak - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > Escape News
Click Here to Login

Old 01-13-2021, 07:39 PM   #41

Trailer: 2020 21' Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree3 View Post
Looks like my 21c finished in 2/2021 has the dometic oven that’s been recalled. Our trailer is covered for the winter and the nearest service center is over 60 miles away. Would rather not have to tow it down there and leave it. Would the propane detector that Escape places by the fridge and across from oven be sufficient to tell me if my oven is leaking gas?
I made four calls to service centers from Dometic's website today:
  • Two said they don't do Dometic work because they don't pay and don't know why they are listed on the site anymore.
  • One said I only do marine, no RV's
  • The other said let's talk! But it's a four-hour drive away.
AndNeitherDoI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 09:16 PM   #42

Trailer: ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndNeitherDoI View Post
I made four calls to service centers from Dometic's website today:
  • Two said they don't do Dometic work because they don't pay and don't know why they are listed on the site anymore.
  • One said I only do marine, no RV's
  • The other said let's talk! But it's a four-hour drive away.
Your first comment is interesting because that’s similar what I ran into.
The Dometic labor allowance to replace the under-warranty a/c compressor on a motor home was 1 1/2 hours. The shop owner said replacing a roof mounted compressor was a 2 man , 2 hour each job. I.e. 4 hours of labor. He said that if I would pay for 1 1/2 hours he would do the job. If not, I needed to go somewhere else. I paid since everyone else I called flat out turned me down.
Dometic products will always be my last choice.

Ed
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 09:28 PM   #43

Trailer: Escape 21C -2020 and 2003 Aliner
got further info on my 3 burner/oven from dometic

Hi everyone-- my delivery date is next week and i was informed by escape that letters went out about this recall ... but because i take delivery soon that they emailed me and i spoke to them and mine had the repair kit installed and was outside of the timeline of the recall -- he said though to call if i have concerns to confirm it has indeed passes the smell test..... fingers crossed....
quidoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 09:43 PM   #44

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Mayjag

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuthatchBC View Post
The owner's manual for the oven/stove combo in our 2011 19 says it's made by Maytag but it says Amana on the stove front. Now I'm really confused. Is this part of the recall or not?

Doug
Maytag and Amana are both owned by whirlpool now. Maytag originated in Newton Iowa and Amana in the Amana Colonies about 25 miles from where we live. It’s been quite a change for this area. A good friend of mine is the warehouse manager for them. it’s in North Liberty Iowa near interstate 380 And interstate 80. Don’t know about the recall but they are all tied together. The trucking firm CRST that you see all over America stands for Cedar Rapids Steel Transport. They made their nut hauling refrigerators east and steel back to the Amana refrigeration plant to the west back in the day. Dead heading doesn’t make any money.
Iowa Dave
Old 01-13-2021, 09:44 PM   #45

This is from the Dometic site.

“The remedy will consist of 1) instructions 2) remedy kit 3) Recall Response Card to be filled out and returned at the time of remedy application. “

I don’t know if any Dometic service center would sell you the remedy kit and instructions or not, but it might be worth asking.

Read the second page of this document. It describes the issue with photos plus says that the leak tends to show up after 3-6 months or RV use.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/202...0E071-9137.pdf

Don’t have a trailer so I’m not impacted. Just find it interesting on a slow Covid evening.

47,159 affected units, for what that’s worth.
Ed
Old 01-18-2021, 05:00 PM   #46

Trailer: 1575 Lance
Clear up on Dometic Stove Recall

I'm looking at my recall right now its on Dometic S31, R1731, R2131 Cooking Stoves

"The user of recreational vehicle or marine vessel can become aware of the potential defect when, after some period of usage, begins to smell gas near the stove when it is not in operation; if user or other servicer then attempts to tighten the bolts that hold the valves under the stove burners, the tightening action can cause irreversible damage to the o-ring seal at the valve...."

We have not found 1 dealer that has a fix...they say they haven't been shipped parts or have been given a solution from Doemtic...so we will use until we smell a leak I guess. Wish I knew how to shut off gas to the stove and just not use it!
lsl8303@outlook.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 12:09 AM   #47

Trailer: Escape 21C -2020 and 2003 Aliner
range recall update

howdy-- i hope that my attachment of the notice i got from escape in regards to there addressing the issue.... wasn't sure how to do this attachment....

Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 9.55.48 AM.png (167.6 KB)
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 9.55.48 AM.png  
quidoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 12:01 PM   #48

Trailer: 2020 21C
We are supposed to be getting our 21C next month. We contacted ETI about this recall and our stove/oven had already been replaced.
randynjill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 04:55 PM   #49

Trailer: Escape 19
Gas smell from cabinet under range.

I have an Escape 19 from 2018. From the start, I've often smell gas from the cabinets under the stove range. I have the 2 burner model. Sometimes, the smell would get into the cabin around where we sleep. But the propane detector never went off. I'm still alive but concerned about prolonged exposure to the gas smell especially I have a 5 year old. Anybody have the same issue?
calvinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 07:21 PM   #50

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvinc View Post
I have an Escape 19 from 2018. From the start, I've often smell gas from the cabinets under the stove range. I have the 2 burner model. Sometimes, the smell would get into the cabin around where we sleep. But the propane detector never went off. I'm still alive but concerned about prolonged exposure to the gas smell especially I have a 5 year old. Anybody have the same issue?
The newer Suburban SDS2 2-burner cooktop is not the subject of the recall highlighted in this thread but users have had issues. I believe Eggscape bumped the thread linked below in the hopes you would see it...
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...top-16249.html
Old 01-20-2021, 07:41 PM   #51

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Thanks Dave...I knew I saw the post somewhere.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 07:08 PM   #52

Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA on order!
My dometic stove is on the recall list. Anyone know a good stove to change out with a direct fit? I'm having trouble getting any dealer to work on my 5.OTA. We are going to use it til we have a problem and then just change it out. Any ideas will be helpful
Theresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 06:49 PM   #53

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresa View Post
My dometic stove is on the recall list. Anyone know a good stove to change out with a direct fit? I'm having trouble getting any dealer to work on my 5.OTA. We are going to use it til we have a problem and then just change it out. Any ideas will be helpful

Mine is part of the recall also. I wonder if the Dickinson Marine Caribbean stove is a direct replacement without cabinet alteration. I believe that some on this forum have done that.
Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 07:39 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hancock View Post
Mine is part of the recall also. I wonder if the Dickinson Marine Caribbean stove is a direct replacement without cabinet alteration. I believe that some on this forum have done that.
FYI.
Here are the requirements for installation in a cutout.

http://dickinsonmarine.com/dm/wp-con...imensions-.pdf
Old 02-25-2021, 08:01 PM   #55

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hancock View Post
I wonder if the Dickinson Marine Caribbean stove is a direct replacement without cabinet alteration. I believe that some on this forum have done that.
Unlikely. The two installations I have seen of the Dickinson stoves have been with custom cabinetry.