Escape Recall for Potential Stove Gas Leak - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > Escape News
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-10-2021, 07:19 PM   #21

Trailer: ?
If you have a recalled unit.

The next issue will be finding an authorized Dometic dealer with the required parts and the time/willingness to repair your unit.

I’ve had the misfortune over the years of being involved in one Dometic recall , remember the fridge that could catch on fire, and one warranty repair. At least locally, the authorized dealers are RV sales operations. The first question they ask when requesting the repair is “Did you buy it from us?” Customers, understandably, get priority. On both occasions, I was told to drop the RV off and they would get to it whenever.

If you’re concerned about leaking gas, in addition to your nose, there are some good fairly inexpensive portable Propane detectors on the market.

I have one and use it to check all accessible gas fittings as part of my pre-departure list.

If it’s not one thing it’s another.
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 07:37 PM   #22
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Where can I get the stove / oven numbers to check please ? Pat
Hi Pat, We have a Dometic stove/oven model # RV-1735BBPU manufactured 2/14/2019. To access the sticker with this information, I had to unscrew 4 screws (2/per side) that secure the lid in place. With the lid and screws removed, you can then take off the main black metal layer (with 3 big holes), which then exposes the all the gas lines. My sticker was top center on that bottom level.

Interesting to note that Escape labeled "Atwood" for our stove on the sheet in our coat closet BUT our stove is labeled 'Dometic' on the front and on the sticker inside and on the owners manual. Thus, I just realized we have a Dometic, not an Atwood stove. I know Dometic bought out Atwood in 2017 so not a big deal but for those who just look at this sheet and see 'Atwood' should more importantly, check your model #s to verify any warranty needs.

We use our oven a lot (without any issues, so far - knock on wood) but I will still double check with Dometic to make sure our RV-1735 is good to go. Really appreciate this forum for things like this. Thanks all! -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 08:43 PM   #23

Trailer: 2020 21' Escape
The list on the closet details our stove as Atwood but the stove itself say Dometic on it. So I opened up the top of the stove and snapped a pic of the serial number and it looks like we’re in the recall.

So if your stove say Dometic on it, definitely check the serial number card.
AndNeitherDoI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 09:12 PM   #24

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Where can I get the stove / oven numbers to check please ? Pat
Pat: The recall states “Dometic Corporation has decided that a defect which is related to motor vehicle safety exists on the S31, R1731, AND R2131 Series COOKING STOVES that were manufactured between May of 2018 and July 9, 2020.”

Why the concern? Your stove in a 2013 trailer (unless it had been replaced) is way before those affected by the recall.
Old 01-11-2021, 12:49 AM   #25

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdColorado View Post

The next issue will be finding an authorized Dometic dealer with the required parts and the time/willingness to repair your unit.

I’ve had the misfortune over the years of being involved in one Dometic recall , remember the fridge that could catch on fire, and one warranty repair. At least locally, the authorized dealers are RV sales operations. The first question they ask when requesting the repair is “Did you buy it from us?” Customers, understandably, get priority. On both occasions, I was told to drop the RV off and they would get to it whenever.

If you’re concerned about leaking gas, in addition to your nose, there are some good fairly inexpensive portable Propane detectors on the market.

I have one and use it to check all accessible gas fittings as part of my pre-departure list.

Hear you on that one . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 12:49 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
Hi Pat, We have a Dometic stove/oven model # RV-1735BBPU manufactured 2/14/2019. To access the sticker with this information, I had to unscrew 4 screws (2/per side) that secure the lid in place. With the lid and screws removed, you can then take off the main black metal layer (with 3 big holes), which then exposes the all the gas lines. My sticker was top center on that bottom level.

Interesting to note that Escape labeled "Atwood" for our stove on the sheet in our coat closet BUT our stove is labeled 'Dometic' on the front and on the sticker inside and on the owners manual. Thus, I just realized we have a Dometic, not an Atwood stove. I know Dometic bought out Atwood in 2017 so not a big deal but for those who just look at this sheet and see 'Atwood' should more importantly, check your model #s to verify any warranty needs.

We use our oven a lot (without any issues, so far - knock on wood) but I will still double check with Dometic to make sure our RV-1735 is good to go. Really appreciate this forum for things like this. Thanks all! -Bea
Thankyou Bea ! Pat
Old 01-11-2021, 12:51 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Pat: The recall states “Dometic Corporation has decided that a defect which is related to motor vehicle safety exists on the S31, R1731, AND R2131 Series COOKING STOVES that were manufactured between May of 2018 and July 9, 2020.”

Why the concern? Your stove in a 2013 trailer (unless it had been replaced) is way before those affected by the recall.
Hi Dave I got my info from the closet tag . But just in case will check under burners that Bea posted . Sure we are fine but doesn’t hurt to check . Pat
Old 01-11-2021, 08:22 AM   #28

Trailer: 2018 -21-picked up in May 2019 / 2018 F 150 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chama View Post
Our 2019 E21C has the three burner range/oven combo. The range/oven is identified on the installed components list in the pantry as Atwood RV1735RRPU. I hope I am correct in assuming that this range/oven combo is not subject to the recall. If is being recalled, suggest you don't park next to us until the fix is done!
Chama
Thanks for the heads up.
yangstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 11:22 AM   #29

Trailer: 2022 Keystone Cougar 29RLKWE & RAM 2500
I called Elaine in ETI Customer Service (604-703-1650) this morning. She verified that my 21C (shipping Jan 14 or 15) does not have an oven to which the Recall is applicable.
dlakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 11:52 AM   #30

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 2017 GMC Canyon Duramax Diesel
Ed, thanks for posting the link. That makes it quite clear which stoves models are the ones affected.
Chama
Chama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 07:49 PM   #31

Trailer: Escape 21NE
I got an email from Karl today with the recall info - apparently Escape shipped some 294-ish units with the R1731 oven/range and Dometic estimates 30% could potentially have the issue (mine included).

The story is plainly described by Dometic - basically they responded to one customer who experienced a "gas smell" and after a lot of investigation and testing, they discovered the customer had made adjustments to the manifold mount, which may have caused the issue. They couldn't repeat the condition in multiple random sample testing from stock, but replaced his unit and put Loctite on the manifold mounting screws so he couldn't adjust them again. Then they had a fleet customer report a few "gas smell" complaints, but found out of the <dozen complaints, 80% had been 'adjusted' by the customer. So just to be on the safe side, they reported the issue and sent out a recall to replace the o-ring seals at the burners and put Loctite on the screws.

I agree it will be a pain to get a dealer to fix it. Stoves are fairly simple to work on but for liability considerations, they say to NOT fix it yourself.

The other pain is you have to remove the range top to find the nameplate/serial number! Arghh.

Anyway, Dometic R1731 and R2131, serial numbers from 81897193 through 02799381.

Good luck! And I'm leaving on a trip in three days...!
felix2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 08:12 PM   #32

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21
Quote:

Looks like my 21c finished in 2/2021 has the dometic oven that’s been recalled. Our trailer is covered for the winter and the nearest service center is over 60 miles away. Would rather not have to tow it down there and leave it. Would the propane detector that Escape places by the fridge and across from oven be sufficient to tell me if my oven is leaking gas?
Tree3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 09:04 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree3 View Post
Looks like my 21c finished in 2/2021 has the dometic oven that’s been recalled. Our trailer is covered for the winter and the nearest service center is over 60 miles away. Would rather not have to tow it down there and leave it. Would the propane detector that Escape places by the fridge and across from oven be sufficient to tell me if my oven is leaking gas?

While in storage the leak is not an issue because, presumably, the propane is shut off at the bottles.

I’m only relating my limited personal experience. Perhaps the service center in your area will accommodate you with a convenient appointment when you’re taking the trailer out of storage. Worth a call.

If it were me, and I wanted to use the stove ‘as is’ I would give the burner the sniff test plus use a portable propane detector before I tried to light the stove rather than risk a fire.

Ed
Old 01-11-2021, 09:07 PM   #34

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21
Quote:
While in storage the leak is not an issue because, presumably, the propane is shut off at the bottles.

I’m only relating my limited personal experience. Perhaps the service center in your area will accommodate you with a convenient appointment when you’re taking the trailer out of storage. Worth a call.

If it were me, and I wanted to use the stove ‘as is’ I would give the burner the sniff test plus use a portable propane detector before I tried to light the stove rather than risk a fire.

Ed
We used the trailer for about 20 nights since receiving it in March and used the stove every trip and the oven a few times. I don’t recall ever smelling gas. Do you think this is an issue that can appear after use or would have made itself apparent from first use?
Tree3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 09:25 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree3 View Post
We used the trailer for about 20 nights since receiving it in March and used the stove every trip and the oven a few times. I don’t recall ever smelling gas. Do you think this is an issue that can appear after use or would have made itself apparent from first use?
No idea whatsoever.
I know nothing about the issue that’s not in the Dometic letter to the owners.

Ed
Old 01-11-2021, 10:58 PM   #36

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I would act ASAP to get what is required done.

The least of your problems is the trailer is covered. In fact it is the perfect time of year to get it done. Every day you wait could mean they run out of what ever parts they need to fix it. Also you want to miss rush when everyone wants their trailer prepared for summer.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 10:53 AM   #37

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
The owner's manual for the oven/stove combo in our 2011 19 says it's made by Maytag but it says Amana on the stove front. Now I'm really confused. Is this part of the recall or not?

Doug
NuthatchBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 12:35 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuthatchBC View Post
The owner's manual for the oven/stove combo in our 2011 19 says it's made by Maytag but it says Amana on the stove front. Now I'm really confused. Is this part of the recall or not?
As I posted above if you read the recall it clearly states “Dometic Corporation has decided that a defect which is related to motor vehicle safety exists on the S31, R1731, AND R2131 Series COOKING STOVES that were manufactured between May of 2018 and July 9, 2020.”

Not only are you way outside the date range you don't even have the same brand.
Old 01-12-2021, 06:12 PM   #39

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
As I posted above if you read the recall it clearly states “Dometic Corporation has decided that a defect which is related to motor vehicle safety exists on the S31, R1731, AND R2131 Series COOKING STOVES that were manufactured between May of 2018 and July 9, 2020.”

Not only are you way outside the date range you don't even have the same brand.
And, in looking at the manufacturer's label under the range hood, it says "Made by the Whirlpool Corporation, Benton Harbor, MI." I know ours isn't pert of the recall but I though it would be neat to post all of the "manufacturers" for a laugh. Maybe everyone should compare their documentation and the stove builder's sticker and see how many places they mention. I think I have the record with three, however.

Doug
NuthatchBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 07:57 PM   #40

I wish Escape would offer Dickinson stovetops and ovens as an option and let owners opt out of the junk offered by Dometic and others. Pricey but you get what you pay for. If they can offer a $3400 lithium battery option they could offer high quality cooking appliances.

http://dickinsonmarine.com/product/t...op-in-cooktop/
http://dickinsonmarine.com/product/c...ner-gas-stove/

Of course some of us have installed these but it’s not something a new owner should have to worry about replacing especially given that ovens would be a much more difficult swap likely involving a rebuild of the cabinet and counter.