Escape shuts down trailer mods - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > Escape News
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2021, 03:40 PM   #1
DT6

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C; 2018 Escape 19 (sold in 2022)
Escape shuts down trailer mods

I heard the unfortunate news that Escape has stopped ALL trailer accessory modifications except for warranty repair. So if you are like us and we’re told we could (for example) add the underside spray foam insulation at a later time, or an extra solar panel, we are now out of luck. Apparently Escape will refer us to dealers who may do this, but I already spoke with one aftermarket dealer who would only add a solar panel if they could also change out the controller, etc. which adds to the cost. Disappointing news for sure.
DT6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 03:43 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
If my rememberer is correct, ETI actually shut down mods months ago. I had hoped to have the A/C added sometime in the future. I remember how disappointed I was to hear ETI would no longer do the work...
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 03:46 PM   #3

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
that's sad they did a good job i added several things to my 17.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 05:28 PM   #4

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
If my rememberer is correct, ETI actually shut down mods months ago. I had hoped to have the A/C added sometime in the future. I remember how disappointed I was to hear ETI would no longer do the work...
The last thing I saw was that they had a price list for after-completion mods that they would do. Not everything was an option, I wonder if this is gone, too?

https://escapetrailer.com/post-production-option/
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 05:38 PM   #5

Trailer: Looking for 15b
Here was the post almost a year ago when they said that would be the case unfortunately.
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...ons-18206.html
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 08:34 PM   #6
DT6

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C; 2018 Escape 19 (sold in 2022)
Thinking on this topic a bit after reviewing some responses here and the reference from about a year ago, has given me the opinion that this policy should be made to purchases going forward. We were told at the time of purchase that we “could always add” a particular option later on (with the knowledge that some things cannot be added after the fact like wall insulation, etc.). If we were told at the time of purchase that we could not add anything later (by ETI) then we would have made some different decisions. I would certainly appreciate at least a “one-time grandfather” clause that allows any original owner (prior to this decision) a one-time opportunity to bring in their trailer to add one or more compatible accessories. Kind of makes me feel like the rug was pulled out from under us.
DT6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 05:37 AM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
I am not at all surprised at this announcement. I suspected it would come sooner than it did. Anyone who dealt with ETI under the ownership of Reace and Tammy knows they were unique. They were the reason I gravitated to ETI in the first place. I never expected ownership by a corporate entity more concerned with the “bottom line” than with customer service to continue the special relationship with its customers that the founders provided. Unlike my friend and acquaintance Jim (CPAHarley), I have strong reservations about ever purchasing another Escape from the current ownership.
Old 06-16-2021, 07:04 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Escape is a manufacturing business. While it is a bit disappointing to some that they are no longer offering service work after purchase, I fully understand this. If they were to do this, it would need to be pretty much a different setup doing this. To try to fit it in to their existing setup with a focus on meeting production times, while meanwhile growing the business, this would really cause trouble if they had to take time off production to do service. How many manufacturers out there offer to do service work after units are built and sold? Almost none, any work needed is done through authorized service companies. This is not an issue really, as folks can find service companies closer to them than Escape, or do the work themselves if they can.

As a business they need to show profit to survive. This is why most of their decisions business wise are made the way they are.

If I was currently looking for purchasing another moulded fibreglass trailer, Escape would still be at the top of my list. Yes they are growing and changing, but they still offer a great product with a good selection of options.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 09:06 AM   #9

Trailer: Looking for 15b
Jim I think the difference is that most manufacturers sell through dealers who have service departments and will service the trailers they sell. As many people have found those same dealers in general are not interested in servicing/doing mods for trailers that were not purchased there as they are incredibly busy with trailers they have sold.

Airstream dealers are a good example of a manufacturing company that services/ completes mods for the trailers they sell and has locations all over North America so very convenient for their buyers. I realize they are very different size wise from Escape just pointing out that service is available for their purchasers.

As people are finding even trying to get warranty work for Escapes appliances is proving very challenging as numerous people have posted. If you did not purchase from the business with the service department you are very low on their priority list.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 12:06 PM   #10

Trailer: 19 Escape, arrived March 2021
Escape trailers are already expensive, but . . . IMO, if the moved further into the small, specialty, nominally custom, service oriented business model, even if that meant raising prices to support what would inevitably be a less “efficient” model, they would prosper. Would they sell fewer trailers? Probably . . . But unit sales and activity should not be the goal. Profitability should be the goal. My experience has taught me that lower activity, at expanded margins, can be (although not necessarily will be), a viable pathway to business success.

Just my opinion.
thunderworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 03:01 PM   #11

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15 B. Room4Two
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderworks View Post
Escape trailers are already expensive, but . . . IMO, if the moved further into the small, specialty, nominally custom, service oriented business model, even if that meant raising prices to support what would inevitably be a less “efficient” model, they would prosper. Would they sell fewer trailers? Probably . . . But unit sales and activity should not be the goal. Profitability should be the goal. My experience has taught me that lower activity, at expanded margins, can be (although not necessarily will be), a viable pathway to business success.

Just my opinion.
It would seem to me that expanding with a different line like modifications would be very profitable for them. A lot easier for them to do mod because they built the trailer. I am guessing they could charge what ever they wanted for mods. So seems like a good plan to build it and service it after sale. Rather than send the work and money some where else. But I guess you need the resources to do that and a vision. I have to believe that doing mods is not their favorite thing and eats up a lot of resources.

If I needed work I would much prefer to go to the source than take my chances with someone who didn't understand the trailer layout.
ghosthunter is offline   Reply With Quote