Flipped escape - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > Escape News
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2024, 10:17 AM   #21

Trailer: 2020 E21C
Yes one can’t say enough about the value of well investigated accidents. It’s free education about real world experience at the unfortunate expense of others. My career was in professional aviation where in addition to my flight duties I was a safety officer charged with promoting operational safety. Reading and understanding NTSB generated accident reports was an invaluable part of my safety promotion structure. The big challenge is learning and not repeating the mistakes of others. Accidents are still occurring on land, sea and in the air that could have been avoided by contentiously not repeating the mistakes of others.

John
JohnK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 11:27 AM   #22

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkirk View Post
Over the years, I've lost count of the number of occurrences I've witnessed involving tow vehicles/trailers taking unnecessary risk on the highway.

I firmly believe that drivers should require a special towing endorsement on their license before being permitted to tow anything greater than a couple thousand pounds. There should be mandatory training and a road test which covers topics like vehicle capacity/trailer weight, hitching process, basic trailer inspections, impact on vehicle handling, basic maneuvering techniques, emergency procedures, etc.

I know such qualification training won't eliminate all issues, but it would certainly be a step in the right direction.
One might wonder the stats for accidents while towing vs not-towing on a vehicle-miles basis?

Not arguing at all the benefit of better driver education, but of course there's no chance that training, testing, and license endorsement requirements of the sort you suggest will ever be implemented in Canada or the US - too much push-back from the powerful RV manufacturer and dealer association lobbies.

IMO / YMMV.

Wishing safe travels for everyone, y'all be careful out there!
Old 05-02-2024, 11:40 AM   #23
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post

Not arguing at all the benefit of better driver education, but of course there's no chance that training, testing, and license endorsement requirements of the sort you suggest will ever be implemented in Canada or the US - too much push-back from the powerful RV manufacturer and dealer association lobbies.
Agreed. Nothing will cause a large industry like the RV sector to bristle than to require additional training. That would imply their products are dangerous and we certainly don't want that.

Maybe someone can correct me, but as far as I know, Class A driver are simply handed keys and told to have a nice day as they drive off in something near the size of a semi or at least a large motor coach.
SageRpod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 12:37 PM   #24

Trailer: 2023 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageRpod View Post
Agreed. Nothing will cause a large industry like the RV sector to bristle than to require additional training. That would imply their products are dangerous and we certainly don't want that.
I agree that the chances of a towing endorsement requirement ever being implemented are near-zero. That doesn't mean it shouldn't be required.

I don't think towing is necessarily dangerous, provided that drivers are aware of the additional factors/risks associated with towing and can demonstrate that they possess the skills necessary to effectively manage that risk while out on public roads. No different than motorcycles...and they require specific training in order to become licensed to operate one (at least in my province) .

I can only speak for myself, as someone who is very new to towing. There seems be a robust body of knowledge required to safely tow even my comparatively small trailer. Many possess a sufficient sense of self preservation and personal responsibility to seek out that knowledge voluntarily. However, I also know there are many out there who do not...and will simply wing it.
Selkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 01:10 PM   #25

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Training

More regulations whether honestly needed or not always turn political. In Iowa one needs an endorsement to drive a motorcycle. I know there was test when I got mine and later you actually had to navigate a course with a motorcycle to get the endorsement. The irony is that Iowa is one of three states where helmets are not required. There’s a divisive issue if there ever was one.

We had numerous certifications when I worked in government with most requiring continuing education credits. In our situation the certifications were tied to pay levels. That was a motivator to a significant part of the workforce and kept our “wainting
for an opening” well stocked with applicants. As a superintendent I was not required and sometimes even allowed to actually go out and do the work that a certification allowed but I got them anyway. I believed it showed empathy, leadership, and in many cases drove good workers to be even better. I was a proponent of training, review, safety and innovation.

Now I am encouraging grandkids to learn, perform, investigate and think. Poor little guys and girls. My six year grandson old turned 7 today. Asked how his
Cub Scout hike was a couple weeks ago He said it wasn’t much fun. “We had to stay on the trails”! And followed that when hunting morel mushrooms last week in the overgrown woods with “Trails are for suckers”. Nut didn’t roll too far on that one.
Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0122.jpeg  
Old 05-02-2024, 01:35 PM   #26

Trailer: 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageRpod View Post
Maybe someone can correct me, but as far as I know, Class A driver are simply handed keys and told to have a nice day as they drive off in something near the size of a semi or at least a large motor coach.
Many/most states have GVWR limitations attached to DL classes, with some exemptions.

In Texas, any single vehicle >#26k requires a Class B or A.

Also, many folks confuse a CDL with DL classes. Different animals.

I have a Class B non CDL, good for a tow vehicle >#26k and can tow a vehicle/trailer <#10k.(or a farm trailer<#20k)
7Gentex is offline   Reply With Quote