Front storage box - does it increase the overall length or not? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > Escape News
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2014, 09:59 PM   #1

Trailer: None yet
Front storage box - does it increase the overall length or not?

I'm looking at the Escape 21 with this box but it isn't clear if it increases the overall length or not. Is the frame used on the version with the box physically longer or is it the same frame with empty space on the version without the box?
yhbae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:03 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
All of the frames can accommodate the box. If you choose to get it as an option, it just gets added during assembly.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:15 PM   #3

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
There are trailers from other manufacturers that add frame length for large storage boxes (Bigfoot is the most comparable to an Escape which does this), but the frame length of an Escape is not changed for the box.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:53 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by yhbae View Post
I or is it the same frame with empty space on the version without the box?
It's almost the same frame on the 19, not sure about the 21. On the 19, if you're not getting a tongue box from ETI they weld on two cross pieces of angle iron to support the battery. That makes adding an aftermarket box a little more difficult because you either have to put two slots in the bottom or raise the box to clear, making it sit higher.

In my case I asked that they not weld on the cross pieces and they obligingly only bolted them on so that my battery has a place to sit until I add my own tongue box.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:58 PM   #5

Good, this means the overall dimension stays relatively compact even with the box... Thanks for the info, everyone!
Old 04-11-2014, 02:12 AM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I's a $700 option, so it's one of the most expensive options they offer and I think I'm going to add it to my 19. Kind of pricy, but I think it adds practical function and resale value. Will come in handy on long trips.
MarksAlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 02:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarksAlot View Post
I's a $700 option, so it's one of the most expensive options they offer and I think I'm going to add it to my 19. Kind of pricy, but I think it adds practical function and resale value. Will come in handy on long trips.

I think it will be worth it too. We plan to take up to couple of months long trips, so I'm sure it will be useful.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:41 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
We have the storage box and use it a lot. A couple of out side chairs, the leveling blocks, the water hose, the electrical cord, sewer connections (the angle), the 'cheater' bar for the equalizer hitch, the hitching rods, wheel checks, all go in the storage box. For us, it is a 'gotta have'
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 05:45 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Same here. I thought it messed up the clean lines of the 19, but I'm really attached to it now. It saves at least one bin of stuff to haul around in the tow vehicle with chocks, levelers, rolled up ground mat, etc. All the dirty stuff can get tossed in there in a hurry without worrying about it. Our 6V batteries are in there as well, which makes them easy to access.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 05:59 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 21ft Escape
We got it on our 21 & love having all set up equipment in one place. No extra boxes to carry it is also very light weight, until you fill it up!

Robbie
trailseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:47 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I know this varies from case to case, but I'm wondering how much weight it adds to the hitch. I'm planning to put light stuff in there. As in life, ya gotta keep a balance.

At least that's the plan...
MarksAlot is offline   Reply With Quote