Lippert Window Recall Notice - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > Escape News
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-06-2021, 08:50 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Lippert/Hehr Window Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calbal View Post
We have a 2017 21' Escape Travel Trailer with frameless thermal windows. The bathroom window is a Hehr window and has an adhesive failure: the glass is no longer adhered to the sliding mechanism that opens and closes the window.

The recall information suggests we would not be eligible for a replacement since our unit was built in 2017. We have emailed Lippert/Hehr/Duncan and Escape TI and are no farther ahead than we were a week ago.

Escape claims they don't have the part numbers for this replacement Hehr window: frame tag number and trim number. What a bunch of crap!

Anybody have any information to share for ETI trailers that older than 2018 with this failure on Hehr windows?

Thanks!
My E19 was built in early 2017 with Hehr frameless windows. I haven’t seen any actual delamination of the glass itself, but in the course of opening the bathroom window from the outside, which was stuck to the rubber seal, the adhesive between the closing mechanism and the glass failed. Since it was out of warranty and perhaps was my fault for prying it open from the outside, I disassembled the mechanism, cleaned the glass and the aluminum angle bracket with 3M general adhesive remover, and then reinstalled it using thin 3M VSB tape from Amazon. It has been fine since then. I’m also more careful with all of the windows now.
(3M - 0.375-5-RP62 VHB Tape RP62 0.375 in width x 5 yd length)
BruceW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 08:36 AM   #22

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
I am so happy I bought my Escape way back in 2013. No window issues, no heater or furnace or, well, any issues. OK, did replace the plastic door latch when it broke.
2013 was a great year for Escape trailers! I also have had very few issues with either of mine. The production team at Escape in the early to mid 2000's was like the Edmonton Oilers powerhouse teams of the 1980's!

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 09:11 AM   #23

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Mitt-Inn"
Hehr Bathroom Window Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calbal View Post
We have a 2017 21' Escape Travel Trailer with frameless thermal windows. The bathroom window is a Hehr window and has an adhesive failure: the glass is no longer adhered to the sliding mechanism that opens and closes the window...

...Escape claims they don't have the part numbers for this replacement Hehr window: frame tag number and trim number. What a bunch of crap!

Anybody have any information to share for ETI trailers that older than 2018 with this failure on Hehr windows?

Thanks!
We had the failure that you describe on our FIRST failed bathroom window. We noticed it on the second day while we were still camped at the Lynden KOA. Hauled it back up to ETI and they replaced it on their lunch hour!

Don't know if 19's and 21's used the same size frameless bathroom window. On our 19, but the outside dimensions of the glass are appx 17-3/16” x 15-1/4”.

I have a brand-new bathroom window that ETI sent me in 2018, to replace a delaminated window. Attached pics of stickers are on the frames. Sticker with Feb 18 is on the main window ass'y; sticker with the Jun 18 date is on the interior window frame.

Another story from the Reace-and-Tammy Era:
The second bathroom window delaminated after about a year and a half. Called ETI, they immediately sent a replacement window from their own inventory! No questions, no cost, no RMA to send the old window back. Makes one pine for the good old days.

Just "until we get home", I'd taped the delaminated windows together with reinforced strapping tape, then covered that with black electrical tape. That was pretty invisible. I'm embarrassed to say it's been like that for three years(!?!).

So, I'm just now finally getting around to replacing the window, and making plans to get the failed window repaired as a backup. Much thanks to Centex, Rubicon and Calicia for the repair information.
Attached Thumbnails
Bathrm Window Stickers.jpg  
J&B Mitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 01:02 PM   #24

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21'
Bathroom Window

We ordered our 21' in 2018 and took delivery in 2019. We just received the recall notice.

Our bathroom window is single-pane as they told us at the time there were "too many" warranty claims on the bathroom double-pane windows. They also mentioned that if you crank down on the window too hard when closing it, you can literally pull it apart.

The design is interesting. The outer pane seals against the frame. The inner pane has the crank mechanism glued to it. So, yes, if you crank down counter-clockwise on the knob, you can literally pull the internal window seal apart.

So we try to close it gently - but then it comes open going down the road! So we (thanks to this forum) put a cut section of "wacky noodle" in the handle to keep it from turning. A bit of a PITA but it comes as second nature.

I keep having to remember to turn CLOCKWISE to open, as sometimes the frame seal sticks and I think I am turning it the wrong way and then crank hard in the other direction.

I try to clean the frame seals and lubricate them with a small amount of silicone to prevent this problem. But you have to be careful - some cleaners and silicone products could aggravate the window seal.

A long time ago, someone told me that double-pane windows for home use have an expansion bladder in the bottom to accommodate changes in pressure. He said that if they didn't do this, the windows would explode if driven over the rocky mountains during delivery from the factory Urban legend? I dunno.

Anyway, I sent the e-mail to the address provided and they responded right away. I guess I will get this gauge in the mail and it will tell me if the windows are coming apart or not.

Other than the cabinet latches, we have had zero problems in two years and 20,000 miles.....
Robert Platt Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 03:08 PM   #25

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
We just received a letter from ETI informing us about a safety recall notice, 'Safety Recall Notice 21E-047 for Lippert 6400 Series vented windows.'
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmixer View Post
Thanks Escape no mention of ... this.
I guess you missed this 'We just received a letter from ETI'
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 03:50 PM   #26

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Platt Bell View Post
A long time ago, someone told me that double-pane windows for home use have an expansion bladder in the bottom to accommodate changes in pressure. He said that if they didn't do this, the windows would explode if driven over the rocky mountains during delivery from the factory Urban legend? I dunno.
While not authoritative, the Wikipedia article contains no mention of an expansion bladder as a possible component of an insulated glass assembly. I'm not surprised - I don't think that a bladder of useful size would be practical.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 04:21 PM   #27
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
[QUOTE=Robert Platt Bell;400129]

Our bathroom window is single-pane as they told us at the time there were "too many" warranty claims on the bathroom double-pane windows. They also mentioned that if you crank down on the window too hard when closing it, you can literally pull it apart.

ETI told us the same thing when we ordered our 21C in 2019 so our small bathroom and drawerstack windows are single-paned, non-thermal windows. We don't mind at all since those are the 2 windows we like to crack open for ventilation at night anyways. All our other windows (except the front window with a rock guard) are double paned thermal frameless windows. We were told by Lippert that those (the frameless thermal windows) are the ones that 'might' have a problem.

Anyway, I sent the e-mail to the address provided and they responded right away. I guess I will get this gauge in the mail and it will tell me if the windows are coming apart or not.

This is interesting to hear.... I'm curious to hear if they send you this gauge. I was told (verbally today by a Lippert employee in the warranty department) that they do NOT send these inspection gauges to individuals but rather to authorized dealers/ RV service centers only. So, for now, our plan is notify our RV service guy (who helped us with our Dexter problem earlier) and ask him to do this window inspection when we have our wheel bearings repacked this winter. So far our windows look solid and intact to us. Will report back with results.

Other than the cabinet latches, we have had zero problems in two years and 20,000 miles.....

We had to replace a broken cabinet latch too, and other than our grey tank leak (that Escape has agreed to fix under warranty (in Chilliwack) in the near future) we are very happy with our 21C and look forward to many happy retirement years in it. -Bea
Bea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 12:20 AM   #28

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
2013 was a great year for Escape trailers! I also have had very few issues with either of mine. The production team at Escape in the early to mid 2000's was like the Edmonton Oilers powerhouse teams of the 1980's!
Yes it was Dave ! Few irritating issues in the beginning but nothing for a long while . Never heater or windows though . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 06:54 AM   #29

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
So true Dave,other than our heater board n the awning lock breaking while bring our 21 home when picking it up ( knock on wood ) our 21 has been great. But I am always double cking the bathroom window to make sure it is ok.

David
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 06:53 PM   #30
gbb

We were also told today that they only supply the gauge to RV dealers and not to the rv owners. It would be great if anybody would share there experience with the RV dealers and Lippert on getting this done. We are 50 miles away from any dealer that would probably do this work and they all are supposedly months out.
Would like to hear how long the actual checking the windows takes and how long it took to get the replacements installed if needed.
thanks
gbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 12:22 PM   #31

Trailer: 2019 19 ft.
We received the recall notice for our 2019 E19, which we received May 23, 2019. We have frameless windows, including kitchen and bathroom.

73/gus
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 04:20 PM   #32

Gauge Sent

[QUOTE=Bea;400158]
Quote:

This is interesting to hear.... I'm curious to hear if they send you this gauge. I was told (verbally today by a Lippert employee in the warranty department) that they do NOT send these inspection gauges to individuals but rather to authorized dealers/ RV service centers only. So, for now, our plan is notify our RV service guy (who helped us with our Dexter problem earlier) and ask him to do this window inspection when we have our wheel bearings repacked this winter. So far our windows look solid and intact to us. Will report back with results.
Well, they sent me an e-mail today and an invoice for the gauge ($0.00) so I guess they can send them to end users. I am guessing it is just a c-shaped piece of metal to measure the thickness of the window. If the seal is defective or starting to pull apart, it won't fit in the gauge. Just guessing, but I think it is a pretty good guess. I'll post something when I receive it.

Like I said, no problems so far, but we've tried to be gentle with the windows. If you cranked the knobs hard enough, anyone could pull the glass apart, I think.

Customer ID
Purchase order CASE#
Requested date 10/25/2021
Sold to
MISCELLANEOUS CUSTOMER
3501 COUNTY ROAD 6 E
ELKHART, IN 46514-7663
USA
Agent Method UPS Ground
Confirmed ship date 10/25/2021
Item
number
Customer
item number Description Quantity Unit Per unit
Net
amount
Estimated
Ship Date
2021094575 21E-047 RECALL INSPECTION GAUGE STEEL,
0.02? THICK 2083A34
1.00 EA 0.00 0.00 10/25/2021
Note: Pricing displayed here is subject to change.
Line Total: 0.00
Shipping: 0.00
Order Total: 0.00

Note: The "SHIP TO" address is my home address (not shown). Sent by UPS. We'll see what happens...
Old 10-22-2021, 04:27 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbb View Post
We were also told today that they only supply the gauge to RV dealers and not to the rv owners. It would be great if anybody would share there experience with the RV dealers and Lippert on getting this done. We are 50 miles away from any dealer that would probably do this work and they all are supposedly months out.
Would like to hear how long the actual checking the windows takes and how long it took to get the replacements installed if needed.
thanks
See above. They mailed ME a gauge, but then again, automotive engineer. They allot 0.4 hours for inspection and 0.5 hours per window for replacement, if my memory is correct (not so much anymore). It was in the recall notice.

I think it would take like five minutes to inspect, but we'll see. I'll post something when I get the gauge. Maybe one of those YourTube videos on the Internets.

I suspect, like most recalls, that it affects only a portion of the units. But they have to inspect them all to be sure.

for example, my KIA Soul was recalled because some idiot didn't tighten down the connecting rod bearing cap on the engine assembly line. Instead of tearing down a hundred-thousand engines to find the few affected, they reprogrammed the knock sensor to detect bearing end cap vibration (so the CE light would go off if it was sensed) and extended the warranty for 10 years and 100,000 miles.

Nice folks! Can't get a cup of coffee out of the Ford people.
Old 10-22-2021, 04:40 PM   #34
Bea

Quote:
Well, they sent me an e-mail today and an invoice for the gauge ($0.00) so I guess they can send them to end users. I am guessing it is just a c-shaped piece of metal to measure the thickness of the window. If the seal is defective or starting to pull apart, it won't fit in the gauge. Just guessing, but I think it is a pretty good guess. I'll post something when I receive it.

Like I said, no problems so far, but we've tried to be gentle with the windows. If you cranked the knobs hard enough, anyone could pull the glass apart, I think.
Thanks for your follow up, Robert Platt Bell. Lucky! I guess I talked to the wrong Lippert employee... Staying tuned on this channel more breaking news from you or anyone. Thanks all, -Bea
Old 10-22-2021, 04:51 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
Thanks for your follow up, Robert Platt Bell. Lucky! I guess I talked to the wrong Lippert employee... Staying tuned on this channel more breaking news from you or anyone. Thanks all, -Bea
Hopefully not window-breaking news!
Old 10-22-2021, 05:05 PM   #36
Bea

Quote:
Hopefully not window-breaking news!
-Bea
Old 10-22-2021, 05:05 PM   #37
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
interesting, the bathroom window on my 2014 21C (which has double pane windows, extra insulation, and undercarraige foam) is a simple vertical slider, the lower half slides upwards, and the handle on it has a simple latch that locks it closed..

I've had the 'handle' on the upper edge of the sliding portion come off a few times, but its not that hard to put back on, and I've just learned to be a little mroe gentle when opening it.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 11:48 AM   #38

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
See above. They mailed ME a gauge, but then again, automotive engineer. They allot 0.4 hours for inspection and 0.5 hours per window for replacement, if my memory is correct (not so much anymore). It was in the recall notice.

I think it would take like five minutes to inspect, but we'll see. I'll post something when I get the gauge. Maybe one of those YourTube videos on the Internets.

I suspect, like most recalls, that it affects only a portion of the units. But they have to inspect them all to be sure.

for example, my KIA Soul was recalled because some idiot didn't tighten down the connecting rod bearing cap on the engine assembly line. Instead of tearing down a hundred-thousand engines to find the few affected, they reprogrammed the knock sensor to detect bearing end cap vibration (so the CE light would go off if it was sensed) and extended the warranty for 10 years and 100,000 miles.

Nice folks! Can't get a cup of coffee out of the Ford people.
Well, my Ford dealer does supply a cup (and refills) of coffee, as long as you get there before who ever does it stops making a new pot. The makings live in a locked cabinet...
Old 10-27-2021, 02:21 PM   #39

Received Gauge

The gauge arrived today. I have a photo of it, but uploading photos on this site is a mystery to me. You can't just insert them into a message, you have to provide a URL. There is a "gallery" but I'll be damned if I can figure out how to add the photo. Some help, please!

Anyway, it was not what I expected. It is a thin piece of stainless steel about a foot long, with the end stained purple for about an inch. The instruction manual is quite thick.

You close the window and insert this thin flat metal tool behind the glass and see if it goes beyond the purple part. If it does, that means it is entering the inner seal and you are going to need a new window.

I would think if that was the case, you'd notice the cloudiness on the window when the seal was broken (as happened to one of our sliding doors here at home - someone told me pressure washers can break that seal - another urban legend?).

Anyway, we'll go out to the storage locker and try this tool on the windows and I'll try to make a Yourtube video about it. It is not very high-tech!

But uploading a photo here apparently is - help!
Old 10-27-2021, 02:25 PM   #40

OK, I figured it out. I had to create an album first.