New 4.3 & 6.7 fridge info - Page 16 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > Escape News
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2014, 07:05 PM   #301

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Good on ya Ron in BC! I feel the same way...
But, at the end of the day it's the manufacturer, in any and all industries, that make the selection of products and materials to be used, not the distributers.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:16 PM   #302
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by j mac View Post
maybe all refrigerators sold by dometic should be 'tropical climate class'.
like! ! !
Attached Images

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:31 PM   #303
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfishtacos View Post
I would love to know the technical difference between the same model of climate classes. Is the system charged differently? Are there physical differences?...and most importantly for some of us...can an N or SN class unit be upgraded to T?
So would I. I've been researching it on and off for weeks now. The industry doesn't say squat about it. In most of their literature, they don't even acknowledge climate class ratings, even though they clearly mark most of their fridges with the rating. Trying to get a straight answer from any of the fridge manufacturers is like pushing your head through mush. I guess it's no wonder that the distributors are not knowledgeable on the subject.

So far, the difference seems to be the type and r-value of the insulation used in the cabinet. I have found no evidence of a difference in the cooling unit, but as I mentioned before, a former coworker who actually worked for Dometic Europe insists that the cooling units are "upgraded" on the T-rated units as well. As for upgrading an SN or N rated fridge to a T class? Short answer: No. Although, adding extra outside insulation may help.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:40 PM   #304

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
So would I. I've been researching it on and off for weeks now. The industry doesn't say squat about it. In most of their literature, they don't even acknowledge climate class ratings, even though they clearly mark most of their fridges with the rating. Trying to get a straight answer from any of the fridge manufacturers is like pushing your head through mush. I guess it's no wonder that the distributors are not knowledgeable on the subject.

So far, the difference seems to be the type and r-value of the insulation used in the cabinet. I have found no evidence of a difference in the cooling unit, but as I mentioned before, a former coworker who actually worked for Dometic Europe insists that the cooling units are "upgraded" on the T-rated units as well. As for upgrading an SN or N rated fridge to a T class? Short answer: No. Although, adding extra outside insulation may help.
I don't see why not once you know the difference...
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:47 PM   #305

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
...and most importantly for some of us...can an N or SN class unit be upgraded to T?
My guess: yes (if there is a T version made), by replacing the entire cooling unit (keeping the cabinet, interior, and controls).
It is a good point that insulation may vary, but that can be added around any refrigerator.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:49 PM   #306
Site Team

Quote:
I don't see why not once you know the difference...
Agreed. But, I don't really know. Just a bit of info here and there on the web. If ETI hasn't come up with a solution prior to our build (and I know Reace will come up with something -- he always does) I will go with a compressor fridge -- no matter what the hassle is with installing it.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:50 PM   #307

Quote:
The ruggedized Lotus trailers made in Australia have the Dometic RMD855x fridges.
Interesting... especially since the Dometic listing of refrigerators for Australia doesn't include any RMD, or any 8xxx. I wonder if Lotus brings them in from another country? Or are the Dometic listings just incomplete?
Old 08-15-2014, 07:50 PM   #308

Quote:
Agreed. But, I don't really know. Just a bit of info here and there on the web. If ETI hasn't come up with a solution prior to our build (and I know Reace will come up with something -- he always does) I will go with a compressor fridge -- no matter what the hassle is with installing it.
I hope it will fit in the door.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:03 PM   #309

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I recall that in some of the reading offered by the posters here that anergy conservation was the driving force behind several products. By making more units that are efficient across the board versus less efficient but better performing units in select markets, Dometic can meet the European standards for conservation. Just like auto manufacturers selling more efficient models to different markets to meet the industry standard overall. We do not have access to every product made by Dometic nor every car model produced by Ford.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:43 PM   #310
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
I hope it will fit in the door.
These will. About the same dimensions as the RM8551, and the same capacity:

Cut Out R4500
Old 08-15-2014, 09:07 PM   #311

Seems like a good plan. Is ETI agreeing to this ?
Old 08-15-2014, 09:21 PM   #312
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
Seems like a good plan. Is ETI agreeing to this ?
Not yet. I haven't broached the subject. I'll wait to see the outcome of the whole fridge issue.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:30 PM   #313

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Quote:
Not yet. I haven't broached the subject. I'll wait to see the outcome of the whole fridge issue.
Reace said he would sell a fridge-less Escape but they can't install the gas line in that configuration.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 09:31 PM   #314
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I ran into the same gas line thing when I asked to NOT have the stove installed. No stove, no propane line. SIGH.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 10:38 PM   #315

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
Reace said he would sell a fridge-less Escape but they can't install the gas line in that configuration.
That doesn't seem like a big problem - adding a tee and line to the refrigerator should not be difficult.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:53 PM   #316
Site Team

Yeah, I'm not sure what that means. If there's no gas line to the fridge cutout there's no problem, since the compressor fridge doesn't use one.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:04 PM   #317

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Quote:
Yeah, I'm not sure what that means. If there's no gas line to the fridge cutout there's no problem, since the compressor fridge doesn't use one.
Bryan, you could propably go for either the compressor fridge or the T rated Dometic unit if yoiu could find one. I am thinking that both will use more energy than the standard 8551. Take a look at the plates for both the SN and T model 8551 and it looks like the T model uses more than twice the energy which would translate into higher LP usage. I do think you are looking at the best option. If mine ever kicks the bucket I will probably go to a compressor model since I have lots of batteries and solar.
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 11:23 PM   #318

Quote:
If there's no gas line to the fridge cutout there's no problem, since the compressor fridge doesn't use one.
True!

Those just going for a different model of absorption refrigerator will need to install the propane line, of course.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:42 PM   #319

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Bryan, you could propably go for either the compressor fridge or the T rated Dometic unit if yoiu could find one. I am thinking that both will use more energy than the standard 8551. Take a look at the plates for both the SN and T model 8551 and it looks like the T model uses more than twice the energy which would translate into higher LP usage. I do think you are looking at the best option. If mine ever kicks the bucket I will probably go to a compressor model since I have lots of batteries and solar.
Those figures are maximum - power when full cooling is required. And if it has more cooling capacity I would expect it to either cycle on and off (like a compressor) or run partly on (like a stove burner) - it would still have a thermistor and temperature (bar) selector. It might be a bit less efficient at "normal" temperatures but if it would work well at higher temperatures I would gladly accept the increased power usage.
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 12:02 AM   #320
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamman View Post
It might be a bit less efficient at "normal" temperatures but if it would work well at higher temperatures I would gladly accept the increased power usage.
Absolutely correct. So it uses a little more LP? No big deal if it keeps the food cold and the ice solid.