New 4.3 & 6.7 fridge info - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > Escape News
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-26-2014, 03:38 PM   #41

Trailer: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: FMLNM... It's too hard to retro fit a small plastic grill over a large hole. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Thanks - I didn't know what size the new plastic grill was....
Sold both 7/22
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 03:51 PM   #42
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I'll check that out Robert, thanks. I was thinking of painting with Fusion. But the 303 may work just as well and be easier to use/apply?
Paint is mainly cosmetic, and works fine when a part needs restoring. The 303 prevents the damage that required the painting in the first place.

Or, as I've heard you say, "an ounce of prevention...."
Old 07-26-2014, 03:57 PM   #43
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Actually Robert, Fusion paint is used as a preventative measure too. Slow down the UV damage is what it's designed for. I know D&K painted the propane tank cover on their 21', not only to protect it but to change from bright white to something that matches the gelcoat.

But, I'd rather not paint if something else will work too.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 04:11 PM   #44
Site Team

Quote:
Actually Robert, Fusion paint is used as a preventative measure too. Slow down the UV damage is what it's designed for. I know D&K painted the propane tank cover on their 21', not only to protect it but to change from bright white to something that matches the gelcoat.

But, I'd rather not paint if something else will work too.
Fully aware of its protective properties Donna. I was a chem formulator/colorist for a paint company in the SLC area in a former life. All paint has protective properties that vary with the opacity, film thickness, gloss and chemical composition. But, in this case, while it will slow or prevent further breakdown, it will not restore oxidized plastic. 303, as I mentioned earlier, prevents the oxidation and UV breakdown.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:45 PM   #45

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Reace, we also appreciate your efforts to become a refrigeration tech and the time you are spending on holiday trying to resolve this issue.
Our experience so far is marginal, camping in northern Michigan. Temp outside is 65 Fahrenheit. Had infrared gun in truck for checking wheel bearings whirl traveling.
Inside frig temp is 45 F and inside freezer is 16 F. Running on LP.
A week ago we precooled refrig for two days, filled freezer with already frozen food and put a frozen gallon jug of water in the refrig part.
Am also cautious to keep food away from fins for air circulation.
An inside frig fan seems to be a positive thing.

Any reports from owners on how they like the Smart RV Frig Fix Fan?
Old 07-26-2014, 08:07 PM   #46

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
It was easy to install and based on preliminary tests, on 120v and an empty unit, it helps to reduce the interior temperature. I have not had a chance to fill with food and try it on the road under propane.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:00 PM   #47

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
IOHO... Consider this... Our species has learnt that since discovering fire, it is easier to warm ourselves than to cool oneself. That's why civilization has evolved from more moderate climes.

So my Canuck & American colleagues that live in the hotter (& muggier) climes, I don't believe that there is a technical fix for the problem that some have been experiencing.

Here is what we suggest:

1) Make sure the trailer is level side to side & front to back

2) Carry no less than two (2) large frozen jell packs in the top portion of the freezer

3) Any free space in the fridge portion should be filled with cans (soda, beer, etc.) assuring that used ones are replaced ASAP with others

4) Run the A/C to cool the inside of the trailer... Remember that... In Bangkok, at twelve o'clock... only mad dogs & Englishmen go out into the Midday Sun... thus park in the shade when ever possible...

5) If all of the above doesn't work (sorry Dave in Texas), find cooler places to RV...

6) Finally, if all else fails... PRAY...

But then again, what do we know... we're just newbies...

Travel Safe,

Larry & Emily
Stargeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:06 PM   #48

Trailer: Escape
I wonder if the Dometic refers in the Casitas that Reace inspected at Brandon are the same models used by ETI.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:19 PM   #49
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
I wonder if the Dometic refers in the Casitas that Reace inspected at Brandon are the same models used by ETI.
May be for the smaller size, but certainly not for the big one. Casita doesn't put that big of a frig in any of their models. And, all you have to do is read the CasitaForum to know those owners have issues too. There's tons of "computer fan" solutions to read there.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:22 PM   #50
Site Team

Quote:
Quote:
May be for the smaller size, but certainly not for the big one. Casita doesn't put that big of a frig in any of their models. And, all you have to do is read the CasitaForum to know those owners have issues too. There's tons of "computer fan" solutions to read there.
No, not the same. They use the RM 2300 and 2400 series. They offer 1.9 and 4.0 CF models I believe.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:23 PM   #51

Reace stated that the Casita owners were satisfied with their refers. Post 1. Does size matter ?
Old 07-26-2014, 09:35 PM   #52
Site Team

Quote:
Reace stated that the Casita owners were satisfied with their refers. Post 1. Does size matter ?
The group that came to the Oregon Gathering from Texas and Arizona (I believe) all had modified their refrigerators with extra computer fans. Gene Layton (webmaster of CasitaForum) was the first to do it years ago. They all follow along and it's one of the items Larry Gamble does at Little House Customs. So being "satisfied" may be a stretch...
Old 07-26-2014, 09:38 PM   #53

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Kinda glad I have the older 5.0 cf fridge. Other than having to fix the latch on it, it has performed great for us, even in hot climates, with no trickery to keep it cold. The only thing we have added is one of those small cube fans to keep temps even inside.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 02:40 AM   #54
Site Team

Quote:
The group that came to the Oregon Gathering from Texas and Arizona (I believe) all had modified their refrigerators with extra computer fans. Gene Layton (webmaster of CasitaForum) was the first to do it years ago. They all follow along and it's one of the items Larry Gamble does at Little House Customs. So being "satisfied" may be a stretch...
Just started on CasitaForum: keeping the fridge cool the never ending quest, you have to be a member to read it. Basically, two computer fans wired for temporary use when the outside vent is propped open and covered with Reflectix. Thread was started by someone living in South Carolina.

This is a universal problem....
Old 07-27-2014, 09:14 AM   #55

"So being "satisfied" may be a stretch"
OK, Reace said "quite happy"
Still have to wonder why some and not others.
We are happy that now only one cooler with ice is needed.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:02 AM   #56

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
Quote:
"So being "satisfied" may be a stretch"
OK, Reace said "quite happy"
Still have to wonder why some and not others.
We are happy that now only one cooler with ice is needed.
We had a 2005 Casita with a fridge of comparable size to that in our 2012 19'. We usually set it on 3 and walked away. We had no trouble with it maintaining temperature (except in extreme heat) and certainly not the difficulty we've had with our current fridge. I can't speak for others, but I can say we never had the type of issues we're having now. I assumed the quality of the new Dometic fridges was the issue and am really glad Reace is looking into it.
JaneM. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 10:54 AM   #57

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
Quote:
I started using a battery powered fan inside and immediately noticed a difference. Initial cool down went from 6-8 hours down to 1 or 2. Problem is tho that once inside gets cold, the batteries stop working until they heat up a little again. Hard wiring seems to be the answer!

Greg
Greggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:09 AM   #58

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
We have the 19' with the 6.7 cft fridge and the "Texas fan". During our June two-week trip to Yellowstone, I monitored the temperature closely because of all the issues surrounding the Dometic. Temps ranged from 32F at night to around 75F in the day and the refrigerator maintained a temperature of 35-38F deg ... in partial sun. Frozen food certainly stayed frozen. An earlier week-long trip close to home where the daytime temps hovered at about 75-80 deg F produced the same results ... and we were in direct sun. The fact that some are maintaining their temps while others are not gives credence to the suspicion that it might be a defective part.
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 01:19 PM   #59

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Kinda glad I have the older 5.0 cf fridge. Other than having to fix the latch on it, it has performed great for us, even in hot climates, with no trickery to keep it cold. The only thing we have added is one of those small cube fans to keep temps even inside.
Agreed Jim.. The 5 cf fridge has been good to me also. My only problem with it is I can't use it on shore power in the colder shoulder season months.. I have to run it on LP or EVERYTHING in the fridge freezes

I must admit I was smitten when I first saw the current 19 on a visit to ETI. The roof vent, no upper wall vent, the cool blue led interior lighting.. I've managed to get over that with the help of this forum
Old 07-28-2014, 07:04 AM   #60

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
"Keeping Your COOL"!!!

Hi: All... I don't know if I'm changing camps on the fridge issue, but we had cooling trouble on the trip home from Ottawa. Seems the kill switch got turned off somehow and we traveled an hour or so before stopping at Balderston Cheese Store. Went to put away the cheese and no power to the fridge. No lights and 50*F inside. Turned the power back on and ran propane all the way home, but the fridge never recovered!!!
Once home changed to 120V and next am. the temp at the front edge of the top shelf was 34*F. Started a Fridge Log and time will tell. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote