Air Tags, who is using them? - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-18-2024, 05:43 PM   #81
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Whidbey Island, Washington
Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Posts: 2,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
So how close to my house/iPad does an AirTag sitting in my trailer have to be before it is out of range and goes into anti staking mode and starts beeping.

Also if it does start beeping does it stop automatically if it sees my iPad again?

As a side note, our trailer is within the range of our wifi network if that makes a difference. We don’t have iPhones…just iPads that we use all the time. From what I have read I am not interested in Tile for Android.
Mine does not beep or signal my phone as long as the trailer is at home. If it moved from home and wasn't with my phone then it would let me know. I've never heard it beep as if I'm there so is the phone. But I get a message if I leave it in a campground and drive off without it. (Oh, darn, forgot the trailer again!)
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 05:56 PM   #82
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
Posts: 483
This is from the Air Tag page at apple.ca:

"AirTag is designed to discourage unwanted tracking. If someone else’s AirTag finds its way into your stuff, your iPhone will notice it’s travelling with you and send you an alert. After a while, if you still haven’t found it, the AirTag will start playing a sound to let you know it’s there.
Of course, if you happen to be with a friend who has an AirTag, or on a train with a whole bunch of people with AirTag, don’t worry. These alerts only get triggered when an AirTag is separated from its owner."

So does this mean that if a thief has your Air Tag equipped trailer, his iPhone will pick up that your Air tag is travelling with him and, after a while it will start playing a sound so he can find it and discard it? I may be misunderstanding but if not, isn't that kind of defeating the purpose of the device in the first place.
__________________
Lyle
iamunique127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 07:02 PM   #83
Senior Member
 
Ron in BC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: North Van., British Columbia
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Posts: 8,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post

an Apple IIe. For a few years, that was what I used for all my computing needs, primarily word processing (remember dot matrix printers and dial-up connections!).
An Apple lle, now there's a blast from the past. I remember my dual disk drives, amber monitor and no mouse fondly, well sort of. After that it's been PC and Android all the way.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 07:38 PM   #84
Senior Member
 
WillyB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Posts: 1,310
My antique Series 2 Apple Watch is not supposed to have any fancy tracking info or the ability to make calls except when I am connected via Bluetooth to my Apple iPhone.

Strangely, when I take my very long walks every morning without my phone it can somehow track exactly where I walked, the elevation changes during the walk and the outside temperature.

Hmmm! I wonder how that works?

I've finally realized that I am the product.
WillyB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 06:08 AM   #85
Senior Member
 
C&G in FL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Tampa Bay Area, Florida
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Posts: 2,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
An Apple lle, now there's a blast from the past. I remember my dual disk drives, amber monitor and no mouse fondly, well sort of. After that it's been PC and Android all the way.

Ron
Ron, I actually owned in the following order an Apple IIe, an Apple IIc, and finally an Apple IIGS. In 1990 I switched jobs to an agency that used PCs (WordPerfect along with Lotus 123, but ultimately switched to Microsoft Office). In order to do any work at home I had to purchase a PC. When I retired in 2012, I stuck with PCs for the reasons I mentioned in an earlier post. I had no reason to keep up with changes to Apple’s computing products. All my personal work had been converted from “Apple format” to “PC format” and I am wasn’t willing to convert it back, although it is my understanding that Apple has made Mac so that it can run software written for PCs, or at least I thought I read that somewhere a few years back. Bottom line, however, I can still purchase/upgrade to both a new laptop and desktop for far less than a single Mac would set me back. Furthermore, Apple has released PC compatible software. I have iTunes on both my laptop and desktop, as well as iCloud, which I find superior to Microsoft’s cloud (My Drive, I believe). But with all that being said, I will still go to my deathbed believing the iPhone is superior to Android phones.
__________________
What a long strange trip it’s been!
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 09:39 AM   #86
Senior Member
 
TTMartin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Venice, Florida
Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Posts: 1,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamunique127 View Post
So does this mean that if a thief has your Air Tag equipped trailer, his iPhone will pick up that your Air tag is travelling with him and, after a while it will start playing a sound so he can find it and discard it? I may be misunderstanding but if not, isn't that kind of defeating the purpose of the device in the first place.
Yes, but, you can remove the speaker making more difficult, but, not impossible to locate.

TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 01:16 PM   #87
Senior Member
 
Eggscape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Kelowna, British Columbia
Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Posts: 2,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
Yes, but, you can remove the speaker making more difficult, but, not impossible to locate.

Good video…and I presume if the thief doesn’t have an iPhone that there will be no notification.
__________________
So many modifications...so little time.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 03:39 PM   #88
Senior Member
 
MrLynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Framingham, Massachusetts
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Posts: 963
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Ron, I actually owned in the following order an Apple IIe, an Apple IIc, and finally an Apple IIGS. In 1990 I switched jobs to an agency that used PCs (WordPerfect along with Lotus 123, but ultimately switched to Microsoft Office). In order to do any work at home I had to purchase a PC. When I retired in 2012, I stuck with PCs for the reasons I mentioned in an earlier post. I had no reason to keep up with changes to Apple’s computing products. All my personal work had been converted from “Apple format” to “PC format” and I am wasn’t willing to convert it back, although it is my understanding that Apple has made Mac so that it can run software written for PCs, or at least I thought I read that somewhere a few years back. Bottom line, however, I can still purchase/upgrade to both a new laptop and desktop for far less than a single Mac would set me back. Furthermore, Apple has released PC compatible software. I have iTunes on both my laptop and desktop, as well as iCloud, which I find superior to Microsoft’s cloud (My Drive, I believe). But with all that being said, I will still go to my deathbed believing the iPhone is superior to Android phones.
The Apple I and Apple II computers were pre-Macintosh, which was first introduced in 1984.

I have used Macintosh computers since 1987 (and still have two operating 'compact Macs', SEs from the '80s). For about 15 years I also was in charge of a medical office full of Windows PCs (Win 95, plus Windows NT and 2000 Servers). At home I ran Win95 in emulation on my Macs, using a program called Parallels. I was very happy when we closed the office and I no longer had to deal with Microsoft products.

Modern Macs use USB-C/Thunderbolt ports for practically everything, and can run all the peripherals that Windows or Linux machines can (with hubs and adapters for older ports). The new M1/2/3 Apple processors are reportedly much faster than the Intel chips they have replaced. The Mac OS is in my view far superior to any flavor of Windows I have used (up through Win 7), both for ease of use and reliability. The prices of Macs for comparable specs are not very different from decent-quality PCs, like the Dell Latitudes.

I'm an online veteran of the 'PC vs. Mac Wars' of the '90s, so I'm a partisan—not of the company, but of its products. Obviously, YMMV. My current Macs, a 27" iMac and an 11.6" Macbook Air, are both from 2015, pre-USB-C; I'm about to update them to the latest OS they will support (OS 12.x, Monterey), and becoming envious of my 14-year-old grandson, who has a new 14" MacBook Pro; beautiful machine; it may be time. . .

My wife and I both have iPhone 6ses, now antiques. With newish batteries, they still work fine. Will they support Air Tags? The only Android gizmo in the house is my 'smart' Sony TV.
__________________
• "The Molded Fiberglass Obsession," https://walkingcreekworld.wordpress....ass-obsession/
MrLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 05:13 PM   #89
Senior Member
 
C&G in FL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Tampa Bay Area, Florida
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Posts: 2,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
Yes, but, you can remove the speaker making more difficult, but, not impossible to locate.

I did that mod to both of my Air Tags a few weeks ago but couldn’t do it without breaking two of the three tabs on each one. A dab of Super Glue did the trick and there is no reason to ever open them again. Easy to do, but not easy to keep the tabs intact.
__________________
What a long strange trip it’s been!
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2023 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.