Air Tags, who is using them? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2022, 05:45 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15 B. Room4Two
Air Tags, who is using them?

I know I read on here some where about folks using AirTags to keep track of their trailer. But cannot find it.

I don’t want to re-hash the whole AirTag how it works and if it is the best option or not.

I would like to here from folks who are now using AirTags or have used them to keep track of their trailer and if you are satisfied with the experience.

Thanks
ghosthunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 05:48 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
There's a thread going on over in the Escape Facebook group. Here's a thread here: https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...per-20429.html

Then there's this: https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...ent-21613.html
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 06:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
There's a thread going on over in the Escape Facebook group. Here's a thread here: https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...per-20429.html

Then there's this: https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...ent-21613.html
Thanks
Old 08-05-2022, 08:09 PM   #4

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
I just got one for my trailer. Have been using one to track my elderly mother’s car for about a year.
Trying to decide where to put it in the trailer.

My sister borrowed Mom’s car a few weeks ago and after a few days she did get a message saying an air tag was traveling with her.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 08:11 PM   #5

An update- they work better for personal items now as the newer IOS can find them more accurately. I’m going to put one on my key ring if that turns out to be true.
Old 08-05-2022, 08:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
An update- they work better for personal items now as the newer IOS can find them more accurately. I’m going to put one on my key ring if that turns out to be true.
I have Tile on our key chains. It works ok.

But the Air tag has a billion devices to lock on out there.

Seems like everyone has a smart phone that would log AirTag. Even if the bad guys parked in a shop, I bet there would be enough folks around to log it’s location.
Old 08-05-2022, 08:46 PM   #7

One question is Can you link a tag to more than one device? Like both husband and wife phones.

Well after some research. No
Old 08-06-2022, 04:10 AM   #8

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud 1988
On my keys, on my eyeglasses, and even on our camping cat. He fell out of the truck one time when the door was opened to take him into the camper when hubby did not see him wedged between the door and carrier. Luckily, he just ran under the camper and not into the neighboring wood. Funny thing is, since adding them, neither my keys nor my eyeglasses have needed the airtag. I have not had to go through extended searches for these items.

My multiple Apple devices look for these tags.

CindyL
Attached Thumbnails
meercat Tommy.jpg  
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 01:00 PM   #9

Well after some time I bought several air tags.

Here is my first time experience.

Easy set up

I linked the tags to my wife’s phone and one to my iPad.

One in escape
One in wife’s car
One in truck
One in utility trailer
One in generator (linked to IPad.

We went on eight day trip

We took Escape,truck and generator.

We traveled through N.E. Washington.

There was never a time when we could not see all the equipment and where it was located as long as we had cell service.

The iPad only works with Wi-Fi or hot spot through my wife’s phone. Each time I checked the equipment it showed location and how long it had been since last signal pick up. I never saw a time over 30 minutes.

I never got a alert on my iPad that I was traveling with air tags on my iPad. My wife got alerts that she had left item behind, but you could turn that off.

The speaker sound to locate is not very loud. I doubt a person could here it unless in a real quiet place.

I carry one in my pocket, let my wife out a store and go park. When she comes out she can find me or beep the tag for me to pick her up. Nice if my cell phone is dead.

I don’t know why you would not use these as a extra layer of protection. They are cheap and work $89.00 for 4 at Costco.
Old 09-01-2022, 01:51 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
It is interesting how Apple products and other new tech help mitigate the problems of growing older. The Air Tags and Tiles help us find stuff we have misplaced. My Apple Watch now serves as my short-term memory: if I have a thought I need to remember I record it in the watch immediately before it goes away. The watch will also notify someone if I fall down, it tracks my movements for exercise, and it will take blood oxygen measurements, an EKG, etc. It's good for someone living alone.

I haven't considered using Air Tags but I might get one for the generator I just bought. That might be a good idea.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 02:42 PM   #11

So far I have them in Mom's car, on my bike, and on my key ring. I am going to put one in the Escape but haven't yet. I may put one in my wallet as well. Very useful. The find it closeup feature is great for keys and wallet.
Old 09-01-2022, 09:27 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
An Air Tag for my wallet might be a good idea; so far that's the only small necessity that I misplace on occasion.

Lately I've adopted the tastes of a teenage girl when buying small objects: bright blue and green pastels, reds, orange (I've drawn the line at pink). For small electronics in particular: I want them to stand out so I can see them. Recently I bought two pastel green phone charging pads at Target. They're pretty and obvious. An orange canvas wallet might be good.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 09:58 PM   #13

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
I just ordered a four pack of AirTags from Amazon. They were not to be found at Costco on line, so I paid list price.

I think I’ll put one in the trailer and one in the truck and one in the tool bags on each bike for the upcoming cross country trip.
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 10:03 AM   #14

Trailer: 5.0 TA #9
We put one on my MIL's walker. When she went 'walk-about' we could find her.

Great idea about putting one in the trailer.

I too buy any electronic item in the brightest colour possible. It makes them easier to find.
sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 11:12 AM   #15
DT6

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C; 2018 Escape 19 (sold in 2022)
I believe this thread has some discussion of Air Tags and other similar GPS or cell tower trackers toward the middle, end of it. Several good references for other security items as well. Escape 21NE stolen in Arvada, Colorado.
DT6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 12:47 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by splitting_lanes View Post
I just ordered a four pack of AirTags from Amazon. They were not to be found at Costco on line, so I paid list price.

I think I’ll put one in the trailer and one in the truck and one in the tool bags on each bike for the upcoming cross country trip.

I learned they are not on the Costco website but MAY be available in the store. I went to our local Costco and they were displayed with the other Apple products. I bought 4. [emoji4]
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 03:24 PM   #17

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStelly View Post
I learned they are not on the Costco website but MAY be available in the store. I went to our local Costco and they were displayed with the other Apple products. I bought 4. [emoji4]
Ah, darn, I gave 10 more bucks to a company I don’t like (Amazon) as much as Costco to get a 4 pack. Well, if I make it to Costco before the Amazon shipment shows up and they have them in stock, I can always return the Amazon order.
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 07:38 PM   #18

Trailer: 2022 E19
Hi folks. Could someone explain this technology to me?
After watching a video of the Air Tags I understood that they have a range of only +/- 30 feet (bluetooth range) from your device.
Sounds great for finding misplaced keys but how does it work in tracking a stolen trailer?
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 08:23 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender View Post
After watching a video of the Air Tags I understood that they have a range of only +/- 30 feet (bluetooth range) from your device.
Sounds great for finding misplaced keys but how does it work in tracking a stolen trailer?
They seem to work just fine and I think it is more than 30 feet. I'll get a notice my bike isn't with me maybe 50-100 feet from where I left it. And the car shows up on the highway.

But you don't track it with your device. Someone else's device goes near it (as they walk or drive by) and that sends you the current location. So you could track your trailer until it gets parked off somewhere in the woods. Hopefully long enough to recover it!
Old 09-02-2022, 11:31 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender View Post
There about a billion apple phones or products world wide. When any one with one gets near your tag it logs the location, time, I found it impossible to pass through any town or down any freeway where the tag in my pocket was not detected. And most the time the address or location was spot on.sometimes it was off by 50 ft or more.

I doubt you could go to a campground or any place else with other people around and not have your tag picked up by someone’s phone.

Your tag would have to bee in a very remote location to not be picked by someone’s phone.

For as cheap as they are I just don’t know a down side to having one.