BioLite FirePIt - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2021, 10:56 AM   #21

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
It's a year and a half since I started this thread. We easily have close to 300 nights using the BioLite. Things we have noticed;

It's still rusting, but has many fires left before it will fail. I've already seen a rusty Solo Stove. However, the rust has a great patina and doesn't bother us at all.

It works great for the two of us with brats, steaks, and chops, using charcoal. However, like any other charcoal grill, chicken or ribs can still flareup. Terry also puts veggies/potatoes in foil wrap to heat on the grill. We cook on it every other night using charcoal and then switch to wood or pellets for sitting around a fire.

When we couldn't find wood we were burning commercial fireplace logs, until we purchased a set of Repose Fire Logs to burn wood pellets. These pellet logs are awesome. Plus you can find a bag of wood pellets at Tractor Supply for under $5, and a bag will last for four or more fires. We did buy a galvanized oat scoop for feeding horses at a antique store for under $10 that works wonderful for feeding the fire (the plastic scoop we originally bought didn't last too long ). We've also found a thin layer burns much better.

We've noticed the campfire pit sides at many state/federal campgrounds are getting taller and taller. It still is wonderful to put your feet underneath the BioLite to keep them nice and toasty, something you can't do with most campfire fire pits or a Solo stove.

We rarely use the electric blower, probably less than 20 times. Because the wood/pellets are confined, with plenty of air on all sides, including the bottom, it burns quite efficiently with almost no smoke. The only time we use the blower is when we purchase wet wood.

To dump the ashes, if it's not windy we just turn the fire pit over to empty the ashes in the campground fire pit. We only use the bottom sliding door when it's windy and use a small wisk broom. Since the ashes are dry, what little ash is remaining in the firepit won't add to the rust, and has always been dry when we take the stove out to use again.

We now figure we easily save a bundle of wood a night. At $5 a bundle, with 300 fires, that's a savings of $1,500. Even if it rusts out today we'd purchase another in a heartbeat.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 03-28-2021, 11:22 AM   #22

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
I tried a Solo stove type- can't remember if Ranger or Solo-but it did not do well with softer woods and it was hard to find wood to fit. Ended up with a Biolite from a friend who wasn't using it and got the grill cover for it. So far I've only taken it camping once and used charcoal and the cover to cook a Tri-tip.

It isn't as bulky as the dimensions would suggest. The fan helps keep softer woods burning well. I'm pleased with it so far.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 12:03 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
I tried a Solo stove type- can't remember if Ranger or Solo-but it did not do well with softer woods and it was hard to find wood to fit. Ended up with a Biolite from a friend who wasn't using it and got the grill cover for it. So far I've only taken it camping once and used charcoal and the cover to cook a Tri-tip.

It isn't as bulky as the dimensions would suggest. The fan helps keep softer woods burning well. I'm pleased with it so far.
At the time, we were looking at buying the Solo Bonfire. Talk about a beast to carry! No way was the Bonfire going to fit in the compartment over the propane tanks on our 5.0.

We still have room in front of the BioLite for our folding plastic tables, plus our Camp Chef Everest stove sits underneath the BioLite when traveling.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 03-28-2021, 01:17 PM   #24

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Just checked the price on Amazon...$398 now. Is there a larger version thats $400? Google still has some at $250. Must be several sizes? The google reviews give it 4 stars... I see one in my immediate future. Thanks!
Old 03-28-2021, 01:51 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofmerc View Post
Just checked the price on Amazon...$398 now. Is there a larger version thats $400? Google still has some at $250. Must be several sizes? The google reviews give it 4 stars... I see one in my immediate future. Thanks!
Currently $249 at REI, or you can buy at Amazon. Bezos needs your money!

Enjoy,

Perry
Perry Butler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 02:16 PM   #26

Either Bezos or your commission! (kidding!)..Looks like a great piece of gear
Old 03-28-2021, 02:40 PM   #27

$249 at Biolite, but they do have sales now and then. (I got the grill cover on a sale.)
Old 03-28-2021, 10:37 PM   #28

Trailer: 2012 E19
The Biolite website is offering an updated 2021 model with minor improvements. Other sites might still be selling their older inventory, or might not.
Old 04-23-2021, 03:18 PM   #29

I just ordered one at Campsavers because they gave me a 20% off coupon. $199 but its backordered. Not going to see my trailer for months ,though so I guess its ok.. I can use it on my patio until build complete
Old 06-05-2021, 06:08 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofmerc View Post
I just ordered one at Campsavers because they gave me a 20% off coupon. $199 but its backordered. Not going to see my trailer for months ,though so I guess its ok.. I can use it on my patio until build complete
My Biolite just shipped after being back ordered since April 23rd. I guess I'll have months of practice with it before my 5.0TA is built. Thanks Perry!
Old 06-05-2021, 10:17 AM   #31

I used mine a couple of times this week- neither with the fan as it was plenty breezy, but cooked over charcoal one afternoon and then had a wood fire the next night. It's a nice size to bring since I have a truck- small than the measurements would suggest.
Old 07-21-2021, 12:30 PM   #32

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Hi Perry, thanks for posting that. I wonder if black oven paint would work well with it?

Since this fire is "enclosed" can you get away with using it when camp fires are not allowed?
AuthorSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 01:59 PM   #33

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuthorSP View Post
Since this fire is "enclosed" can you get away with using it when camp fires are not allowed?
I think the answer to this is it depends on the geographic area you are in and the wording of the specific ban.

FWIW, as an example, in NJ it all depends on the stage of fire restrictions.
-Stage #1 —all fires directly on the ground in wooded areas will be prohibited.
-Stage #2 —all fires in wooded area will be prohibited unless in an elevated prepared fireplace, elevated charcoal grill, or stove using electricity or a liquid or gas fuel.
-Stage #3 —all fires in wooded areas will be prohibited unless using electricity or a liquid or gas fuel.

So for the BioLite it appears to me that it would be suitable during Stage 1 and Stage 2 conditions if one considers it an "elevated prepared fireplace". It would not be allowed during Stage 3. On the other hand a propane fire pit or stove would be allowed during all stages.
Old 07-21-2021, 02:01 PM   #34

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Good example, thanks!
AuthorSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 02:08 PM   #35

Quote:
Hi Perry, thanks for posting that. I wonder if black oven paint would work well with it?

Paint and fire don't mix, so we don't bother painting, and the reddish patina doesn't bother us.

We've found when in doubt it's best to contact a ranger. Some will just say, "No!" Some have a minimum of 6" above the ground and must be enclosed on four of five sides. If the wood is sticking out the top of the BioLite that's a no no. If the wood sparks, then no. In the sparking case we burn wood pellets. We also can burn charcoal. Again, it depends on the ranger and the park.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 07-21-2021, 02:56 PM   #36

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15 B. Room4Two
In the state of WA right now you cannot burn anything that might give off sparks, I have enclosed wood stoves for tents and you cannot operate them burning pellets or anything else. Maybe if it is your only source of heat in a house or cabin.
ghosthunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 03:11 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
In the state of WA right now you cannot burn anything that might give off sparks, I have enclosed wood stoves for tents and you cannot operate them burning pellets or anything else. Maybe if it is your only source of heat in a house or cabin.
Right now in the state of Washington I'd be uneasy using a vape.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 07-21-2021, 03:44 PM   #38

Quote:

One of the Biolite youtube reviewers advocates high heat spray paint if the rust patina bothers you. He did it after 6 months of use.
Old 07-21-2021, 07:30 PM   #39

We can't use charcoal in Washington so my Biolite will stay home for the next couple of months. My camping buddies and I went together on a propane fireplace to take its place. Sadly, we can't grill on it, but we can pretend we are sitting around a roaring fire.
Old 07-21-2021, 08:35 PM   #40

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15 B. Room4Two
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
We can't use charcoal in Washington so my Biolite will stay home for the next couple of months. My camping buddies and I went together on a propane fireplace to take its place. Sadly, we can't grill on it, but we can pretend we are sitting around a roaring fire.
Ahhh last weekend at Keller’s Ferry we set around a red battery lantern it was so hot.
ghosthunter is offline   Reply With Quote