BioLite FirePIt - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2021, 07:18 AM   #41

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
All we had was the battery, not too warm.........
Old 07-22-2021, 07:38 AM   #42

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Maybe this is just me. But after five minutes in front of a propane fire, I can take it or leave it. I don't get the same feeling as when burning wood and it seems like the propane flame never changes much.

For me lately, when we are in Stage I and II, the last thing I want is a fire. Once in a while we will stumble upon someone burning a fire during a ban and it is frightening. I don't always approach these people when I see them either.

The last two years have had almost constant Summer bans and deep into the Autumn in some areas. I don't see that changing unless it is to get more strict.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 12:46 AM   #43

Trailer: A future 5.0, 2024 Ram 1500
Another great thread! I see a Biolite in my future. Thanks for sharing your experience Perry. I'm up in Clearwater, MN but too new to this forum to PM you. I'm still in the process of trying to see the various models in person before putting a deposit down. Let me know if you have time to share some of your thoughts in person.
Old 05-06-2022, 10:09 PM   #44

Trailer: 2012 E19
Perry, how's the Biolite holding up?

I'd like to mention to all that I just came across a somewhat similar product, but without the battery/fan setup, called Pyro. It's side loading instead of top loading and it lacks the protruding carry handles, so it probably can't be moved while burning as easily as the Biolite. But it is somewhat less expensive. Made in Kansas.
Old 05-07-2022, 09:29 AM   #45

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Butler View Post
Paint and fire don't mix, so we don't bother painting, and the reddish patina doesn't bother us.

We've found when in doubt it's best to contact a ranger. Some will just say, "No!" Some have a minimum of 6" above the ground and must be enclosed on four of five sides. If the wood is sticking out the top of the BioLite that's a no no. If the wood sparks, then no. In the sparking case we burn wood pellets. We also can burn charcoal. Again, it depends on the ranger and the park.

Enjoy,

Perry
Wonder about using Rustoleum before even using it to prevent rust from even starting?
Old 05-07-2022, 10:06 AM   #46

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
In Iowa. many campgrounds prohibit burning pallets or
Kiln dried lumber as people burn wood with nails in it and if they fall out of the fire ring you have a mower with a flat or ruined tire or a kid headed for the doctor to get a tetanus shot. Firewood, bought on site or sometimes nearby with a firewood wholesalers tag included will have a registration number on the tag is also acceptable in many cases. Check with people in charge for clarification. Flat tires result in another strike against campers and manifest themselves in higher camp fees. I know I’ve analyzed site expenses and raised them for many years.
Iowa Dave
Old 05-08-2022, 08:55 AM   #47

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
Perry, how's the Biolite holding up?
I started this thread over 2 1/2 years ago. We use the BioLite at least 1/2 the nights we're camping on the road and for it's first two years at least once a week at our seasonal campground, or well over 300 fires. The BioLite has a rusty patina, it's walls are thinning, and is probably on it's last year in service.

We use half the wood we did previously, so at 300 nights, saving one bundle at night, $6 a bundle, we've saved $1,800 (300 nights X $6 a bundle). If we run into a low, in-ground firepit we'll occasionally try the conventional firepit and we always burn two or more bundles. Terry and I love to sit, drink a beer, and BS around a campfire at night!

One out of four nights we'll start by using charcoal to cook and then lower the grate to burn wood for the rest of the night. We also have a Repose Backpacker Log Set to burn wood pellets if wood is hard/expensive to obtain or all we can find is wet or recently cut and split. Well over 30 of the fires are using pellets. We get 3-4 fires with a $4 bag of pellets. For some reason one of our Repose logs totally rusted and developed a hole, so Repose is selling us a Fireplace Basket at a discount.

Terry's son brought his Solo Stove to our seasonal site last summer. Your feet get zero heat to your feet from the Solo Stove, you can't easily grill steaks/chops (he never has), and forget moving the Solo to a better location once it's lit. We were disappointed in the Solo and we're glad REI only had the BioLite when we purchased our BioLite in 2018.

We're campground fire fanatics. When this BioLite finally rusts out we'll be purchasing another BioLite in a heartbeat!

Enjoy,

Perry
Perry Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 09:04 AM   #48

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Great details, thanks!
Side question:
Using the charcoal option, does the blower allow it to superheat the coals to sear the food?
AuthorSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 09:26 AM   #49

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Clown View Post
Wonder about using Rustoleum before even using it to prevent rust from even starting?
There are stove paints- if you use anything you would want a high temp stove paint. But I suspect that's on there to start with.

I haven't used my Biolite a lot but at times it is very useful. Last summer we had fire bans so early we didn't use a lot of any kind of fire. This summer is shaping up to be not so dry here in W. Washington (1.75 inches of rain in the last 48 hrs here in the rain shadow!) But I may want to use it at the edge of the awning as we sit in the rain.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 09:28 AM   #50

Trailer: A future 5.0, 2024 Ram 1500
Thank you Perry for another very informational post. For any veterans out there, GovX has had the Biolite priced at $200!
Old 05-08-2022, 09:44 AM   #51

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Thanks for that heads up, Chris! Just saved me a good chunk.
AuthorSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 11:06 AM   #52

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Firewood

I always knew it. I’m a millionaire.
“We use half the wood we did previously, so at 300 nights, saving one bundle at night, $6 a bundle, we've saved $1,800 (300 nights X $6 a bundle).”

Have a great Mother’s Day all you moms out there. And don’t forget your own mom if she’s no longer living.
Iowa Dave
Attached Images