campground grilling - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Product Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2013, 11:42 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
campground grilling

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfishtacos View Post
I have a Camp Chef low pressure stove with huge burners and I don't like it because it doesn't stay lit on a windy day and the heat is not very easy to adjust. My coleman stove will and although it is high pressure that is the one I use. I made a tee connection with hoses for the high pressure and mount it on one of my tanks when needed. My low pressure hookup is for the Weber Q120 and my portable fire ring.
That sounds like the perfect solution for us. Thanks!
bpjod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:49 PM   #2

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstock11 View Post
When I use my Melita, I pour water & coffee in a separate container. Mix, allow to sit for a few minutes. Mix one more time and then pour through filter. Many of the advantages of a press, but easy clean up.
This is a little off-topic but I wanted to reply...I make my coffee the same way you do and really like a french press but this little clever device is by far the simplest clean up for camping. You pour the hot water onto the grounds in the filter holder and wait 4 minutes. There is a release valve in the bottom of the holder that prevents draining. ...then place the holder with brewed coffee on top of your cup and the coffee is released into the cup. Then dump the filter into the garbage...only one item to rinse with no grounds at all.

I now use this "Clever Coffee Dripper" for all of my coffee at home or camping.

hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:03 AM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
We use a webber baby q with the griddle and the quick disconnect. Not much we can't cook on it including baking. Really don't see a need for a stove outside as there is a really nice one just inside the trailer.
Very easy to use, connect the hose turn on the propane and light. Hose is attached to the grill (thanks Reace).
Dave
dave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:17 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfishtacos View Post
I now use this "Clever Coffee Dripper" for all of my coffee at home or camping.
I have one too. This style of pour through is much better than Melita, as it holds the water in the grounds while the grounds bloom, then you can add more water and let it pour through as needed. I have the small one which will do one large cup. There is a slightly larger one that does a couple cups.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1 View Post
Really don't see a need for a stove outside as there is a really nice one just inside the trailer.
Dave, for us it is that we prefer cooking outside. It provides more elbow room and it is just great being out there, what we really went for in the first place. Not to say that if the weather is real crappy we won't cook inside though. But I be the outside stove gets about 85% of the cooking load. And though the outside stove is harder to regulate to simmer, it heats up water to boiling way faster.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:08 AM   #5

Jim,
I'm surprised its not the other way around since you have such a nice grill! Guess it depends on what your cooking. We also spent most of the time outside including cooking and eating. Guess that comes from our teardrop era. Found when we added the griddle there isn't much we need a stove for. Will occasionally heat something up, it's pretty easy with the stove right at the door.
I make cappacino every morning inside with the inverter so no need to heat water for coffee. We usually will take the dog for a walk then come back and ease into breakfast.

Dave
Old 09-12-2013, 10:22 AM   #6

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Im with Jim on this one. In the cooler Canadian shoulder camping seasons you have to be aware of condensation and its causes all of the time or you'll deal with the consequences.

I also have the Q & griddle & trivet & currently looking for a pizza stone :-) but I have an additional small single burner stove to heat water for pasta, corn, potatoes, lobster ;-)

The colder it gets the more you need to do anything involving boiling water outdoors and just bring the results inside when they are ready for consumption if its too cold to eat outside.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burloak View Post
Im with Jim on this one. In the cooler Canadian shoulder camping seasons you have to be aware of condensation and its causes all of the time or you'll deal with the consequences.

I also have the Q & griddle & trivet & currently looking for a pizza stone :-) but I have an additional small single burner stove to heat water for pasta, corn, potatoes, lobster ;-)

The colder it gets the more you need to do anything involving boiling water outdoors and just bring the results inside when they are ready for consumption if its too cold to eat outside.
Robert, Pizza stone.... good idea. We have done a fair amount of baking but never considered pizza or bread, a stone would be handy. . Condensation is something I haven't considered, but as cooler weather approaches may have to think about at least a single burner. I had the stove and sink swapped so it is right at the door and close to the Maxx fan, have to see how that works. Also have an opening window in the kitchen. . With the fan sucking you can geta lot of air flowing thru, as I'm sure you know.
Couple of questions. Do you use the trivet for elevating when baking? Do you store your Q in the trailer? If so where?
Thanks
Dave
Old 09-12-2013, 11:07 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I like the idea of the pizza stone for the BBQ. It would be a good thermal buffer for any type of baking.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:13 AM   #9

Hi Dave my rack is Weber #6429 it's called a small roast holder on Amazon. I use it mainly for chicken and anything else I don't want directly on the grill or griddle. I tow with a Ford Escape and the Q and it's folded stand along the propane campfire ride in the back of the truck. I first saw the BBQ pizza stones in action in Australia. Huge outdoor and BBQ culture and lots of options for their Weber grills that we don't get here :-(
Old 09-12-2013, 11:36 AM   #10

If you want to see what they are doing with Weber Q's in Australia including the 100/120's follow this link.. the pizza video is down the right hand side.. now we just need to find that stone in North America ;-)Weber BBQs
Old 09-12-2013, 12:08 PM   #11

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA has gone to a good home in Manitoba. Now Class B+ owners sadly not an Escape
Scones baked on a pizza stone...yum!
Old 09-12-2013, 01:08 PM   #12

Robert,
Thanks for the info. Amazing what is out there for our grills. Wonder what the shipping would be from Australia. The videos sure spark some ideas. Will get a roast trivet.
Wish the grill was abit more compact, mine also travels in our truck. If I wasn't so happy with it I'd think about the spitfire Jim has. Think he can get his in a dinette bench.

Dave
Old 09-12-2013, 01:35 PM   #13

Trailer: 2008 Bigfoot 25B17.5G
Oh wow, I had no idea you could do that much with a grill! Our trailer doesn't have a quick connect, but I imagine we can make due using their adapter. We need a new grill anyway, so this way we can buy one and use it for both camping and at home.

Side note: I could watch that Aussie all day.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:41 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
We use a real grill Cobb Premier Portable Grill Store - Cobb Portable Grill Home
Attached Images

Old 09-12-2013, 01:45 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
campground grilling

moved posts
Old 09-12-2013, 02:23 PM   #16

Trailer: 2022 Coachmen Nova 20C
Mountain Man Grill.
We keep a MM Jr. - 8" x 12", 8# - in the Escape and bring the full size - 18" x 24", 36# - when we'll be with a group.
They're heavy, but pack down flat and are very versatile.

I carry a set of hard anodized aluminum camp ovens if Norma wants to bake something...
Attached Images

paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:28 PM   #17

Trailer: 2022 Coachmen Nova 20C
Here's the pizza oven...It only comes on special occasions (too heavy)
Attached Thumbnails
Pizza7.JPG  
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote