"China bombs" - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2021, 05:19 PM   #1

Trailer: 2021
"China bombs"

For anyone concerned about the past statement on the Carlisle tires and wheels, i'm happy to report 30 hrs of safe driving with no loss of air pressure or any other issues.

johnnyv
johnnyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 05:36 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyv View Post
For anyone concerned about the past statement on the Carlisle tires and wheels, i'm happy to report 30 hrs of safe driving with no loss of air pressure or any other issues.

johnnyv
Good to know! I had to replace the Carlyle tires on my trailer after only about 60,000 miles and 5 years of life. Granted, I had pretty much wore out the tires by then.

Never had a problem with them - in fact, the spare never hit the ground. It kinda kills you to replace a spare tire with the nubs still on it but after 5 years, it's a good idea to replace them.
Old 09-28-2021, 06:07 PM   #3

Trailer: 2021
I will take 60k and or 5 yrs on any tire. Thanks for your imput .
johnnyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 07:44 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Wow, I was going to post that since I had to replace two of the "Rainier" tires that wore excessively due to a damaged axle I switched back to Carlisle's. I was expecting many not so nice comments along the lines of "they're junk" "buy Goodyear" etc.

Imagine my surprise at all the positive comments, nice to see for a change.

The Carlisle's on my 19 certainly gave fantastic service and were aging out with usable tread still on them despite a lot of miles and rough roads.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 09:13 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
I had @ 40,000 miles on my Carlisles when they timed out and looking at the tread, I think they would have gone another 40,000 miles. I would have replaced them with another set but I wanted to support North American workers. I would readily put another set of Carlisles on my trailer if the Goodyears were not available.
Old 09-28-2021, 09:33 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
I wanted to support North American workers.
There are North American workers involved all down the market chain, from the longshoremen who unload the ships, to truckers to sales and installers. And then there's the ad guys and graphic designers...
Old 09-28-2021, 09:41 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
There are North American workers involved all down the market chain, from the longshoremen who unload the ships, to truckers to sales and installers.
Yes, but much of the profit goes to foreign corporations. Why did you, as a Canadian, purchase a Canadian made trailer and a Canadian made grill? And there are truckers, sales personnel, and installers involved in North American manufactured products. The only “loser” in your equation is the dock worker. And consider the carbon footprint shipping a tire from halfway around the planet versus a few thousand miles at most. We all have our reasons and preferences; I guess mine don’t align with yours.
Old 09-28-2021, 09:47 PM   #8

Canadian made didn't have anything to do with purchasing my trailer. I tow it with a Toyota Highlander that I think is made in Alabama or some such. My decision was based on quality.

Got rid of the Dickinson BBQ and bought a Napoleon. Both made in Canada.

There is so much more involved in commerce than where a final product is made.
Old 09-29-2021, 10:41 AM   #9

Trailer: 2021 5.0 TA
Our trailer Monday came with Rainier tires on it.
WanderBred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 10:46 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post

Why did you, as a Canadian, purchase a Canadian made trailer
It's rare for us Canadians to "Buy Canadian" as so little stuff is manufactured here. It's not something that we actively think about.

Before my Escapes I owned a Scamp and was just abut to buy a Casita before I discovered Escapes. Just blind luck that it's Canadian.

On another note I worried about my tires, both truck and trailer, on a section of the "Top of the World" highway as it was littered with sharp shards of rock. My, one of what I thought were much tougher truck tires, was the one that suffered a rock cut and had to be replaced with the spare. Never had to use the trailer spare, yet.

Ron
Old 09-29-2021, 11:00 AM   #11

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
Our 2018 Escape 19 came equipped with Rainier tires. Our Dexter axle was bent and ruined 2 of those tires prematurely at year 1 and 15,000 miles. We bought 3 new Endurance tires (all the tire store had in stock), placed the brand new spare Rainier unto service and drove off. 13,000 miles later the Rainier was down to the wear bars while the Endurance tires show no wear. Rainier tires are the "China Bomb" not the the Carlisles
Old 09-29-2021, 12:41 PM   #12

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
my trailer is a 2017 tires look ok but thinking i should replace them next year before i drive to Alaska.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 01:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upfisk View Post
Our 2018 Escape 19 came equipped with Rainier tires. Our Dexter axle was bent and ruined 2 of those tires prematurely at year 1 and 15,000 miles. We bought 3 new Endurance tires (all the tire store had in stock), placed the brand new spare Rainier unto service and drove off. 13,000 miles later the Rainier was down to the wear bars while the Endurance tires show no wear. Rainier tires are the "China Bomb" not the the Carlisles
We've certainly had similar experiences.

My overall unscientific feeling is that the Raniers wore about as twice as fast as my previous Carlisles on the 19. The three Rainiers, at 2 years, show at least the amount of tread wear that the Carlisles on my 19 did at 4 years. Not sure because I didn't log any tread depths previously but that's what it looks like to me.

Ron
Old 09-29-2021, 02:15 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
We've certainly had similar experiences.

My overall unscientific feeling is that the Raniers wore about as twice as fast as my previous Carlisles on the 19. The three Rainiers, at 2 years, show at least the amount of tread wear that the Carlisles on my 19 did at 4 years. Not sure because I didn't log any tread depths previously but that's what it looks like to me.

Ron
Makes you wonder why Escape switched from Carlyle to Rainier tires. They are about a wash cost wise but personally, I don't think the Rainier tires are as good as the Carlyles.
Old 09-29-2021, 02:36 PM   #15

Trailer: 2012 15-A
So pray tell, what does “China bomb” mean?
Scott
Kærnehuset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 03:00 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kærnehuset View Post
So pray tell, what does “China bomb” mean?
Scott
It's a "clever" reference to tires made in Asia. Came about because of some Marathon tires that had a manufacturing flaw that caused blow outs. It was a Goodyear brand, so I don't know why they aren't referred to as "U.S. bombs".
Basically the "N" word that is allowed on this forum.
Old 09-29-2021, 09:20 PM   #17

Trailer: 2012 15-A
I concur Baglo.if that’s the case, it’s an inflammatory header for sure.
Scott
Kærnehuset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 04:23 AM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
It's a "clever" reference to tires made in Asia. Came about because of some Marathon tires that had a manufacturing flaw that caused blow outs. It was a Goodyear brand, so I don't know why they aren't referred to as "U.S. bombs".
Basically the "N" word that is allowed on this forum.
Hi: gbaglo... I got rid of the "May pop" tires that came on my 2014 5.0TA. Before a trip to Newfoundland in 2019 I was shown a tire & wheel during wheel packing and my RVTech recomended I don't go on the trip with them. He discovered a crack running around the circumference in the tread grouve. This could ultimately lead to delamination. I opted to replace them with Goodyear Endurance at 5-7 #'s heavier a piece. They were also one load range heavier so we now have Ld. range "D" tires and speed rated to 87 mph not that I drive that fast but I'm sure I'll wear them out before they time out. They're not Canadian made but welmade tires just the same. My tire dealer got a lesson in a good set of rubbers for the 5.0TA trailer. Always remember "There's a lot riding on your tires". Alf
escape artist N. S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 07:19 AM   #19

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
... I got rid of the "May pop" tires that came on my 2014 5.0TA. Before a trip to Newfoundland in 2019 I was shown a tire & wheel during wheel packing and my RVTech recomended I don't go on the trip with them. He discovered a crack running around the circumference in the tread grouve. This could ultimately lead to delamination. I opted to replace them with Goodyear Endurance ...
Hi Alf .... so do I understand correctly that your OE "may pop" tires served you well from 2014>2019? Happen to have a guestimate of the miles (km) you logged on those? Do you recall what brand those OE tires were?

Thanks in advance, Have Fun!
Old 09-30-2021, 08:32 AM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Hi Alf .... so do I understand correctly that your OE "may pop" tires served you well from 2014>2019? Happen to have a guestimate of the miles (km) you logged on those? Do you recall what brand those OE tires were?

Thanks in advance, Have Fun!
Hi: Centex... I think you understand correctly? No to logging mileage... and no to brand X. The only time I ever had a flat towing a trailer was with these. The tire guy in Florida said something like the first tire over the drywall screw set it up to puncture the second one. They plugged and patched the tire and put it back on the trailer where it came off. When it came time to replace them I wanted better tires. The GY Endo's might wear out before timming out, but that's just how it goes... I'm retired anyhoo!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote