Coffee Maker... - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2021, 04:09 PM   #21
MVA

Trailer: 2017 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
Thank you to all who responded. I showed the feedback on this thread to my wife. She made the executive decision in favor of the moka pot suggested by David. She has seen and used it before years ago while growing up and in her student days in Europe. So, I ordered one, along with a frother.

I am really glad that I asked the question here, and came away with a much better answer than I started with, thanks to the wonderful feedback. Many many thanks to everyone who responded!
Sorry I am late the the party. What we use is https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003SV9ODM...ing=UTF8&psc=1. As a pour over coffee method, they work great and the quality of the coffee is surprising good. As opposed to a french press, these use a standard cone coffee filter that is easily tossed, making cleanup minimal.
MVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 04:15 PM   #22

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
I know I am getting off track here, but if you are not really coffee drinkers there are caffeinated beverages that will jolt your drowsiness without having to purchase any coffee making apparatus or to purchase coffee, that if not used in a reasonable period of time, will go stale. Have you considered alternatives such as Mountain Dew, etc.?
Thanks, but no. We did discuss the caffeinated beverages, including cold coffee. But, we decided against it. We are a very careful about what we drink.
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 04:19 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVA View Post
Sorry I am late the the party. What we use is https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003SV9ODM...ing=UTF8&psc=1. As a pour over coffee method, they work great and the quality of the coffee is surprising good. As opposed to a french press, these use a standard cone coffee filter that is easily tossed, making cleanup minimal.
Thank you for sharing. I now have the moka pot on the way... My wife's comfort level with that won the day.
Old 07-05-2021, 04:21 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernwig View Post
When camping, I heat up water in a tea kettle on the stove and use dehydrated coffee. (I'm not that fussy.) For a couple short trips, I've made a bottle of cold brew at home and stuck in in the 'fridge.

If you're just looking to stay awake on the road though, a caffeine pill may be a better choice. No fuss, and you won't need to pull over and hit the toilet an extra couple of times! Not so bad when pulling your own porta-potty, but this is certainly the choice I made on travel days before we got a camper!
Caffeine pill might not be a bad idea. We are so not caffeine consumers that I did not even know there was such a thing!
Old 07-05-2021, 05:00 PM   #25

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Neither did I know.........
Old 07-05-2021, 05:08 PM   #26

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I'm all for being equipped to make whatever beverage you like, but if you're using caffeine to stay awake, you should probably be using the trailer's bed, not its kitchen. Caffeine buzzed with eyes wide open is not the same as alert and safe to drive. This is not what the Red Bull commercials claim, but their interest is in selling their product, not your safety or health.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 05:48 PM   #27

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Another great way of reviving yourself that does not involve coffee is chewing gum. It works great and it makes you work a little.

Otherwise we use a silicone Melitta filter and a stainless carafe. Best possible coffee and very quick and easy. It flattens down to nothing and easy to clean.
Attached Thumbnails
coffee-1.jpg   coffee-2.jpg  
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 05:54 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I'm all for being equipped to make whatever beverage you like, but if you're using caffeine to stay awake, you should probably be using the trailer's bed, not its kitchen. Caffeine buzzed with eyes wide open is not the same as alert and safe to drive. This is not what the Red Bull commercials claim, but their interest is in selling their product, not your safety or health.
We are not driving in a particularly sleep deprived mode. However, after some hours of driving I do start to feel a bit drowsy. I don’t think I can fall asleep in the camper bed…
Old 07-05-2021, 08:39 PM   #29

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
In that vein, I keep unshelled sunflower seeds in the pocket of my door with a small cup for discarding shells. If I feel a little drowsy, the one-by-one cracking/discarding shell/consuming nugget works surprisingly well.
Old 07-05-2021, 11:14 PM   #30

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
When camping, I used to make coffee with a number of small brewers and gadgets and then decided to try my full size, 12 cup Mr. Coffee maker. Now that is all that I use. I generally dry camp and in the morning I fill the coffee maker with water, grind my coffee beans with a small electric grinder, turn on the 2,500 watt inverter and let it brew. When done I leave the inverter on to keep the coffee warm until consumed, maybe 30-40 minutes. I am usually charged back to 100% within a few hours. Mr. Coffee is stored under the bed in a plastic box when not in use. This coffee making option lets you make a little or a lot depending on how much you want that day.

hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 02:13 AM   #31
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
its so EASY to boil water on a propane stove top that the idea of hauling an electric coffee maker is just a bit bizarre to me..

Me, I use either a plastic Melitta #4 'single cup' filter (which actually can make a 24 oz thermos of coffee, enough for 3-4 large mugs), or a AeroPress which makes an espresso-like (but not quite) coffee.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 07:22 AM   #32

John - After the helpful advice and feedback on this thread, I dropped the idea of carrying the electric coffee maker. So, all is good!
Old 07-06-2021, 07:37 AM   #33

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I carry both types, an electric and stove top. That way I'm not limited ......
Old 07-06-2021, 08:18 AM   #34

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
The one thing we did not talk about in this thread is the coffee filter itself.

Flat bottom filters do not deliver the full bodied taste of a cone shaped filter (providing the correct grind). It's not so much how you heat up the water, although propane is quick and easy, but more about the ratio of coffee to water and the flow of water thru the coffee during the perk stage.

Everyone's taste is different. I like bold coffee but not bitter. I never boil coffee.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 08:37 AM   #35

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
When I used to do a lot of long distant driving into the night. I discovered the best way to keep alert and awake wasn't coffee, it was a peach pit. You eat a peach but then keep the pit in your mouth the rest of the way. Your brain is so concerned you might swallow that pit, it works to maintain your alertness. I am not kidding. It worked for me.
Old 07-06-2021, 09:24 AM   #36

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
When I used to do a lot of long distant driving into the night. I discovered the best way to keep alert and awake wasn't coffee, it was a peach pit. You eat a peach but then keep the pit in your mouth the rest of the way. Your brain is so concerned you might swallow that pit, it works to maintain your alertness. I am not kidding. It worked for me.
Swallowing it would definitely be "the pits"!

KAVM, I'm afraid you've opened a can of worms with this thread. You and your wife aren't big-time coffee connoisseurs/drinkers, but your question attracts all the hard core coffee lovers like moths to a Coleman lantern. This thread could easily go 10+ pages with people relating their favorite brewing methods. If there's one thing coffee fans love almost as much as their beverage, it's swapping recipes and tips about it. Best to let 'em ramble on.
Old 07-06-2021, 10:15 AM   #37

To be honest, I was wondering about what I’d do after swallowing the pit It would banish the drowsiness for sure but might add up to jumping out of the frying pan into the fire!
Old 07-06-2021, 11:01 AM   #38

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette

A trucker friend once told me what some truckers do when drowsy. Open the window and hold a $100 dollar bill (tightly) out the window. He guarantees that you won't fall asleep.
Old 07-06-2021, 11:12 AM   #39

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Been using the Melitta method for years while camping.Keep it simple.
Most coffee machines don't seem to get hot enough to get the most flavour out of the coffee.
Just my not so humble opinion.
Allan Bornestig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 11:43 AM   #40

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post

A trucker friend once told me what some truckers do when drowsy. Open the window and hold a $100 dollar bill (tightly) out the window. He guarantees that you won't fall asleep.
In my farming days I'd find my trucker friend and get some "White Crosses". One time I ran the combine for over 110 hours straight, and still have all my fingers, feet, and both eyes!

Do "White Crosses" still exist?

Enjoy,

Perry